Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 1068449 times)

Northernridge

Re: Mountain Bikes
« Reply #1900 on: July 23, 2014, 11:27:52 am »
Curious, do you bike guys enjoy wrenching on your bikes like you might with cars? Snowman's pics above make me wonder...or is it a PIA?

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #1901 on: July 23, 2014, 11:32:16 am »
Curious, do you bike guys enjoy wrenching on your bikes like you might with cars? Snowman's pics above make me wonder...or is it a PIA?

I try and keep learning.  I've in the long process of building a basement "bike room"
I'm hoping to eventually be able to do it all myself and not depend on the shop.  I can do some work but certainly not all.   A close friend of mine has a basement work area that rivals true bike shops!!!!!!!!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #1902 on: July 23, 2014, 01:01:41 pm »

I don't mind working on the bikes because I have in the past in my youth and they are relatively simple. I do bring it to the shop for a good tune up in the spring and mid season. I am having a bit of an issue with my shifting not being smooth as I would expect at this price point and they are working on it today. If it does not improve they have indicated it might need replacing under warranty.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #1903 on: July 23, 2014, 05:14:14 pm »
Ordered these 37's to replace the 54's on both our 700 MTB wheels:

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/continental-tour-ride-700c

The 54's are a waste for the trails and paths we ride on locally.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #1904 on: July 24, 2014, 05:59:36 pm »
Another crazy windy day. Manged to get in 100k but the first 35k was right into a head win and uphill.  Felt like riding into the ditch many times. Only 60k more for my 1K badge.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #1905 on: July 24, 2014, 07:12:22 pm »
Got to 3K for this season today!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: July 24, 2014, 08:54:04 pm »
Excellent guys! I'm stuck at 840 for the month  :(

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: July 24, 2014, 11:58:16 pm »

:thumbup: And that is with a lot of mtn biking.

:thumbdown:  No way. There is still another 7 days left to ride.

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #1908 on: July 25, 2014, 05:31:00 am »
Impressive distances gents.  :)
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #1909 on: July 25, 2014, 08:17:04 am »
Ordered these 37's to replace the 54's on both our 700 MTB wheels:

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/continental-tour-ride-700c

The 54's are a waste for the trails and paths we ride on locally.

Well, so much for you joining us at Glen Major  ::)

Joking aside, nice tires!
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #1910 on: July 25, 2014, 11:01:37 am »
So I took my first tentative steps north of Dundas this morning for a 40km sunrise ride before work.  Lovely area, and I couldn't have asked for a more perfect morning.

At one point I was riding at a nice steady pace on level ground when I got a call of "left" behind me, whereupon a pair of riders blew past me (comfortably to the left) like I was a freaking statue.  I checked my speed - 31 km / hr.  No, that wasn't demoralizing at all.  :-[  ;D  Clearly those dudes were total bike studs.

Later, coming back south on 6th line, another pair made a big show of blowing past me (not calling out, and passing bloody well close enough to rub jerseys) only to slow to the pace I was riding once they were about 50m past.  ???  Caught up to them at a red light at Dundas and they looked all surprised to see me there.  Clearly those dudes were total $#@#holes.

I ending up swapping my saddle from the Prologo A$$hatchet (not the actual model name) to a Prologo Scratch (the actual model name) and it made all the difference in the world.  The only thing holding me back this morning was available time.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: July 25, 2014, 11:28:50 am »
So I took my first tentative steps north of Dundas this morning for a 40km sunrise ride before work.  Lovely area, and I couldn't have asked for a more perfect morning.

At one point I was riding at a nice steady pace on level ground when I got a call of "left" behind me, whereupon a pair of riders blew past me (comfortably to the left) like I was a freaking statue.  I checked my speed - 31 km / hr.  No, that wasn't demoralizing at all.  :-[  ;D  Clearly those dudes were total bike studs.

Later, coming back south on 6th line, another pair made a big show of blowing past me (not calling out, and passing bloody well close enough to rub jerseys) only to slow to the pace I was riding once they were about 50m past.  ???  Caught up to them at a red light at Dundas and they looked all surprised to see me there.  Clearly those dudes were total $#@#holes.

I ending up swapping my saddle from the Prologo A$$hatchet (not the actual model name) to a Prologo Scratch (the actual model name) and it made all the difference in the world.  The only thing holding me back this morning was available time.

Great pictures and your bike looks awesome!

Just like drivers there are arsehole cyclists.  Glad you didn't let that spoil your ride.  We have a joke that red lights make us all equal.

Now where is the link to your ride on Strava? Proof or it didn't happen.  ;D

Add me (Derek Clinton) so I can add you.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #1912 on: July 25, 2014, 02:16:20 pm »
on the way home Wednesday night after work I had to fight a huge headwind.   I was going about 25km/h when two big 18 wheelers flew by in the ONCOMING lane, the wind they were pulling just about stopped me dead --- 25 to 5 in second   :o :-[

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #1913 on: July 25, 2014, 02:19:09 pm »
Amazing day yesterday logging 25km of trail riding.  Legs felt awesome, and ZERO crashes!!  Whooo-hoooo!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: July 25, 2014, 05:16:42 pm »

:thumbup: And that is with a lot of mtn biking.

:thumbdown:  No way. There is still another 7 days left to ride.

One more ride and I have it  :) .....should go for 1250  :think:

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: July 25, 2014, 05:19:01 pm »

:fiver: I block out the elitists now.....but less and less can pass me now  :) They might catch me but if dude don't wave or say good morning its game on  ;D

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #1916 on: July 25, 2014, 06:37:14 pm »

:fiver: I block out the elitists now.....but less and less can pass me now  :) They might catch me but if dude don't wave or say good morning its game on  ;D

Same here, particularly fun when I go out with my wife. We then ride at much lower speed and I always say hello to those who pass us. If they dont respond, then it's a race and since I'm fresh from riding much slower than I could.....

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: July 25, 2014, 06:41:42 pm »

Same here, particularly fun when I go out with my wife. We then ride at much lower speed and I always say hello to those who pass us. If they dont respond, then it's a race and since I'm fresh from riding much slower than I could.....

:rofl2: Same happened to me this week on the MTB when I was out with my wife. Dude thought he could beat me up a climb but my wife kept pace and was right behind him....priceless.

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: July 25, 2014, 08:31:06 pm »

:rofl2: Same happened to me this week on the MTB when I was out with my wife. Dude thought he could beat me up a climb but my wife kept pace and was right behind him....priceless.

Love it.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: July 26, 2014, 10:31:55 am »
Had to bring my bike back to the shop as the clicking sound from the BB came back 30k into my ride. >:(