Author Topic: My luck runneth out.  (Read 2296 times)

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
My luck runneth out.
« on: April 16, 2012, 12:50:15 pm »
I was out yesterday afternoon and while going through an intersection, another driver in the oncoming lane decided it was time to turn left.  The result, damage to both cars' on the driver's corner of the front bumper.  My fog light, left front tire and the bumper got it bad, while her light group, and hood got damaged.

The good news is that my insurance company says I am not liable owing to who was going straight and who was turning, so even my deductible was waived.  The bad news is that I'm out a snow tire (I was due to change them this week).  As those tires are not made anymore, I am not sure how they will find a suitable replacement without me having to shell out for up to 3 more.

My car is now in the hands of my garage.  Time to wait and see.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline davidy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
Re: My luck runneth out.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 12:58:01 pm »
What brand is the snow tire? You could look for another snow tire at the local auto recyclers/wreckers or tire shops who sell used. Remember to check the used tire for damages and the year of manufacture (last two digits of the DOT code).

Dave
2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard spray on liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 01:06:14 pm »
Sorry to hear, but at least nobody was hurt.  You should contact insurance about the tire, they may replace at least 2 of them.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 01:24:52 pm »
good thing nobody got hurt.  my father t-boned a left turner at something close to 60km/h years back.  he had trouble with his hand for years.  so if nobody got hurt, it's good, all in all.

hope the douchebag who ran into you pays higher insurance for years and years.

and also hope your car gets fixed to your satisfaction quickly and efficiently.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 01:31:15 pm »
Well, crud.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 01:35:52 pm »
Ouch!  Some people...   :shake:

Glad you're ok.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 01:53:38 pm »
Nasty, good to hear you are okay .

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 02:02:31 pm »
So let me get this straight, someone decided, in the midst of oncoming traffic, to cross lanes and try to pull a U-turn? Did they not see you? What was her excuse, or did she have one? Not that it makes a difference but I hope for the sake of all that's good and decent she was at least apologetic.

I see so many idiotic maneuvers on a daily basis just for the sake of saving 5-10 seconds of driving time. One of my favourites is when drivers will dart out out of a slow lineup to join a faster one, causing the cars traveling faster behind to slam on their brakes...then when the line they were originally in picks up again (as traffic usually moves fairly equally) they cut back into that line. It causes a near-accident like 60% of the time, but 95% of the time it actually doesn't get the driver any further ahead. Brilliant!  >:( >:( >:(

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 02:24:08 pm »
 :ttiwwp:

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 03:31:17 pm »
So let me get this straight, someone decided, in the midst of oncoming traffic, to cross lanes and try to pull a U-turn? Did they not see you? What was her excuse, or did she have one? Not that it makes a difference but I hope for the sake of all that's good and decent she was at least apologetic.

I see so many idiotic maneuvers on a daily basis just for the sake of saving 5-10 seconds of driving time. One of my favourites is when drivers will dart out out of a slow lineup to join a faster one, causing the cars traveling faster behind to slam on their brakes...then when the line they were originally in picks up again (as traffic usually moves fairly equally) they cut back into that line. It causes a near-accident like 60% of the time, but 95% of the time it actually doesn't get the driver any further ahead. Brilliant!  >:( >:( >:(
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 03:31:22 pm »
I was out yesterday afternoon and while going through an intersection, another driver in the oncoming lane decided it was time to turn left.  The result, damage to both cars' on the driver's corner of the front bumper.  My fog light, left front tire and the bumper got it bad, while her light group, and hood got damaged.

The good news is that my insurance company says I am not liable owing to who was going straight and who was turning, so even my deductible was waived.  The bad news is that I'm out a snow tire (I was due to change them this week).  As those tires are not made anymore, I am not sure how they will find a suitable replacement without me having to shell out for up to 3 more.

My car is now in the hands of my garage.  Time to wait and see.
That is such a shame.  First aquadorhj, now you.  Glad that you're OK...that could've gone very badly for you.  Hopefully the garage and body shop will do a good job and you can soon put this behind you.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
My luck runneth out.
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 05:43:24 pm »
So let me get this straight, someone decided, in the midst of oncoming traffic, to cross lanes and try to pull a U-turn?

No U-turn, just a left turn into my car.   Not that that is any excuse, mind you.  I had the green light and the right of way.  Anyway the driver, a nice older woman, was shaken up by the whole thing more than I was.  No doubt her insurance co will have something to say about the whole thing.

I am hopeful about the tire but I can't say for sure.  The Yokohama Geolandar I/T+ were superseded by a newer generation of tire but maybe I'll get lucky.

The best news so far is that nobody was hurt.   Plastic, glass and other bits can be replaced; lives cannot. 

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 08:42:12 pm »
Bummer.   Glad you're ok.   

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 08:43:07 pm »
So let me get this straight, someone decided, in the midst of oncoming traffic, to cross lanes and try to pull a U-turn?

No U-turn, just a left turn into my car.   Not that that is any excuse, mind you.  I had the green light and the right of way.  Anyway the driver, a nice older woman, was shaken up by the whole thing more than I was.  No doubt her insurance co will have something to say about the whole thing.

I am hopeful about the tire but I can't say for sure.  The Yokohama Geolandar I/T+ were superseded by a newer generation of tire but maybe I'll get lucky.

The best news so far is that nobody was hurt.   Plastic, glass and other bits can be replaced; lives cannot.

Older woman?  As in older than you..or too old to drive?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 04:52:46 pm »
was she wearing "CURLERS"............OK cheap j/k glad ya weren't swept into the END ZONE........ :-*
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 11:50:16 am »
Update:

The insurance guy has come and gone, according to my garage but the report hasn't been issued officially yet.  They will no doubt hear soon.

I have a loaner, a 2012 Ford Escape.  I have to say that I'm underwhelmed with the engine on that puppy.  It seems to produce less power for all the noise it makes when pressed.  On the other hand, it's loaded up with a bunch of niceties, things which I never thought would make the rental fleet.  Clearly, it's been a while since I've rented a car.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 11:54:18 am »
Older woman?  As in older than you..or too old to drive?

Older than I am for sure but not ancient.  Her son showed up - I guess he lives close by - and he did not look much younger than I am.  So no, she isn't one of those little old ladies who peer through the gap in the steering wheel ... yet.   ;)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 07:57:18 pm »
My luck runneth out........................ try these.............. :P

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 04:49:26 pm »
The car is back and all is well ... almost. ::) ;D  The total bill footed by my insurance company was:

Repair:  $ 1894
Rental:  $  546

The repair job itself is perfect, as far as I can tell.  They even managed to get rid of a start-up noise bedeviling my car for quite some time.  :D :banana:

The one fly in the ointment is the winter tire search.  As expected, the garage is having a hard time finding another winter tire of the same brand/model/type/size.  If I don't hear anything by Tuesday or Wednesday, I'll tell them to get a current generation tire that will exist in the fall.  I will then buy 3 new ones.  What the heck, they were getting old anyway.

In the meantime, they put on my full size spare (9 year old OEM tire!!! :o :o).  It seems to hold pressure so all is well until I swap out my winters for my summers later this week.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 04:51:47 pm by random006 »