The Parking Lot > General Truck / SUV Discussion

Light suv for dinghy towing

<< < (3/8) > >>

tpl:
I think I see the problem here.   You are limited to 3500 lbs as an UNBRAKED trailer behind your motorhome.  I doubt there is any practical way to interface to the brakes on a SUV.  If you towed a BRAKED trailer how heavy an SUV could you load on that ?    I have seen on the 401, a big motorhome towing a trailer with a BMW X5 on it... which surely would be more that 3500 lbs... and it was a BIG motorhome maybe longer than 24ft.

Cord:

--- Quote from: Fobroader on March 30, 2012, 04:08:36 pm ---A 2door wrangler is less than 3500 lbs and for sure you wont have any problems flat towing it. Plus you have a convertible 4x4 when you get to your destination, how much better than that can you get?!?!?!?!?

--- End quote ---

Maybe an old rusted out one weighs less than 3500 lbs.  :) A quick Google shows 2012 Wrangler curb weight to be around 3700 lbs.

Trainman:
Ford has a list that shows what vehicles can be flat towed, including MT and AT's: https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2011/2011_default.asp  Click on Section 15 for the PDF.  It was updated April 2011 so is pretty current.

It includes Flex and Edge, as well as all Escapes.  Ranger is manual only.  I have no clue about weights of these vehicles, someone else can look that up  ;)

Google brought up a whole bunch of hits about this, seems there is a lot of choice.

happytraveller:
It's the curb vehicle weight. Sorry for any mix up.

happytraveller:
I would like the jeep wrangler would be to heavy. What about something like a Geo Tracker , Subaru Forrester or a Suzuki? Something not to big and I also must consider the weight of a hitch, tow bar and vehicle not to exceed 3500 lbs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version