Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec  (Read 8147 times)

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 12:56:13 pm »
I like my Hyundai's but the quality on  our '11 Sonata is lacking.
Dash gauges replaced,sway link replaced, srs computer replaced,rust specs on inside of the trunk lip and lots of clunks from the front end(every thing tight), the general feel of the  cabin after 2 yrs feels like  it's about 6-10 years old.
No wearing just creaks,rattles, the drivers dash side near bottom of a pillar and bye the air vents makes a crunchy/crack sound over bumps, drivers door sounds like its hollow when I shut it and general creeks n rattles in the cabin.
Not impressed, I've never had these issues with a Korean built Hyundai.
Also, R Spec, come on, Arsepic :rofl2:
What were they thinking ....
I do like the car allot just a little disappointed in it's quality, but the handling,power, milage kicks a$$.
Hyundai Canada hasn't even offered a word to my e mail and I was not rude, you don't catch flies with vinegar after all...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 12:59:34 pm »
that's unfortunate about your Sonata issues...i would keep pushing the issue...our 11 Elantra Touring has been trouble free with no issues, although it is made in South Korea, not Alabama (not that it should really make a difference though).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 01:01:33 pm »
Yeah it's disappointing big time but in all it's a beautiful car spite it's first model year teething problems...

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 01:34:11 pm »
Genesis Coupe in all but the R-Spec trim is a G37 competitor if you ask me.

I don't know if there's a G37 equivalent to the R-Spec, but it's legit. Maybe a 370Z competitor? The R-Spec is legit though. I'd love to drive that and compare with the Scion FRS. I hope Hyundai fixed the clutch and shifter feel I've heard complaints about.

Infiniti has the G37 IPL coupe... http://www.infiniti.ca/en/ipl/default.aspx

I would say that the G37 is what Hyundai is aiming at with the Genesis Coupe, more than the 370Z... My fingers are crossed that they will give Kia a take on the Genesis Coupe platform for something more downmarket that targets the 370Z, and with Schreyer designing for Kia, it will probably make the Genesis Coupe look stale.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 01:43:29 pm »

Infiniti has the G37 IPL coupe... http://www.infiniti.ca/en/ipl/default.aspx

I would say that the G37 is what Hyundai is aiming at with the Genesis Coupe, more than the 370Z... My fingers are crossed that they will give Kia a take on the Genesis Coupe platform for something more downmarket that targets the 370Z, and with Schreyer designing for Kia, it will probably make the Genesis Coupe look stale.
i am reminded of this image from a few months ago...although, i think if Peter allowed this car to be made, he would likely face a lawsuit from Audi, as that looks a little to close to a R8 for their liking.

nsmyhte

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 02:13:22 pm »
The name R-Spec is a bit too strong and misleading for this car in my opinion.  Genesis Sport or Genesis S would be a more appropriate names.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2012, 02:57:10 pm »
Do you think they were going after luxury and sporty and came up short (hence the general feeling that it is more luxury than sporty)?

Or were they intentionally aiming for more luxury than sporty, but then why the "R-Spec" label?
I think they had the R-Spec label because in the US they still offer the old 4.6L V8 and their top model is called the R-Spec.  So when it comes to Canada in top trim it's called the R-Spec.  I think they were more about offering a more aggressive looking Genesis than about offering more performance.  That being said the Coupe R-Spec has more performance parts than the other trims and it more about performance than about luxury.  Seems like a mixed bag to determine what Hyundai considers a R-Spec vehicle.  I wonder if the Veloster turbo will be called the Veloster R-Spec?

I don't think they were aiming for sporty in development—i don't see much, if any, emphasis on sport on the Canadian site for the Genesis. However, I don't quite understand why Hyundai placed it in the SPORTS - PERFORMANCE (over $50k) category in AJAC CCOTY, putting it up against the Mustang, Camaro Convertible, 300C SRT8, 1 M Coupe and Cayman R when they had the LUXURY category available, in which i would hazard to say that they would have fared better...

I agree that a simple S would have been the way to go...

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 04:57:24 pm »
I like my Hyundai's but the quality on  our '11 Sonata is lacking.
Dash gauges replaced,sway link replaced, srs computer replaced,rust specs on inside of the trunk lip and lots of clunks from the front end(every thing tight), the general feel of the  cabin after 2 yrs feels like  it's about 6-10 years old.
No wearing just creaks,rattles, the drivers dash side near bottom of a pillar and bye the air vents makes a crunchy/crack sound over bumps, drivers door sounds like its hollow when I shut it and general creeks n rattles in the cabin.
Not impressed, I've never had these issues with a Korean built Hyundai.
Also, R Spec, come on, Arsepic :rofl2:
What were they thinking ....
I do like the car allot just a little disappointed in it's quality, but the handling,power, milage kicks a$$.
Hyundai Canada hasn't even offered a word to my e mail and I was not rude, you don't catch flies with vinegar after all...
I, too, own an '11 Sonata...for about 2 years and 24,000 miles...Totally trouble free and it looks, and drives as new...
 I just took it into the dealer for an oil change this morning, as I am going for a long ride in a week or so, and they had a new Equus in the showroom...Geez, what a monster..It's Biiiggg...Pretty plain jane, MB looking, I'd say..But, man, it's big...I didn't see any Geneses?
  They must have been hiding them somewhere... Thanks bro   Jack

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 06:37:31 pm »
Seems like a mixed bag to determine what Hyundai considers a R-Spec vehicle.

I think it just means the sportiest version of whatever model it is applied to.

I like my Hyundai's but the quality on  our '11 Sonata is lacking....

Sorry to hear that.  My experience could not be more different. 1 year and 19k kms with zero issues of any kind - not so much as a rattle or a squeak.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

TheKnownSpace

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2012, 07:06:44 pm »
aaarrrghhhh such a lame title on a trim spec that adds so much good to an already great car. I am genuinely curious as to what the take-rate will be for the 5.0 R-spec models vs. the standard 4.6 V8? (assuming the V6 is the volume model already????)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 07:39:24 pm »
There is no V8 Genesis Coupe...

But wow at nearly 3500 lb the Genesis 2.0T coupe is not a light vehicle. 150 lb lighter than the G37 IPL but still.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2012, 08:20:43 pm »
aaarrrghhhh such a lame title on a trim spec that adds so much good to an already great car. I am genuinely curious as to what the take-rate will be for the 5.0 R-spec models vs. the standard 4.6 V8? (assuming the V6 is the volume model already????)
the 4.6L V8 is only available in the US...they didn't bother keeping that model here...i'm not sure why you would actually get it, since it only has about 35HP more than the new V6.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2012, 08:49:44 pm »
How is 429 HP 35 more than 348?

Plus it has 81 ft-lb more torque.

Side note: Didn't notice the lone V8 Genesis sedan was an R-Spec. Too bad about the lack of manual transmission... I'd totally jump over one.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2012, 09:09:03 pm »

Side note: Didn't notice the lone V8 Genesis sedan was an R-Spec. Too bad about the lack of manual transmission... I'd totally jump over one.

::) Really? In a Genesis Sedan?

I believe the 550i  comes in a manual, but HOW many of those are sold per year? 1?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2012, 10:51:15 pm »
How is 429 HP 35 more than 348?

Plus it has 81 ft-lb more torque.

the 4.6L V8 is 35HP more than the new 3.8L V6...Hyundai Canada likely didn't bother with the 4.6L V8 model for two reasons...one is likely sales volumes (there likely wouldn't be enough to support both trims), secondly, i would think if you are going to go for the V8, you would go with the 5.0L...the 4.6L isn't that much of an upgrade over the new 3.8L V6.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2012, 10:52:27 pm »

::) Really? In a Genesis Sedan?

I believe the 550i  comes in a manual, but HOW many of those are sold per year? 1?
agreed...in fact, Mercedes no longer offers manual transmissions.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2012, 08:37:29 am »
The pricing and content for the Gensis line is quite intriguing. While comparos are made to the more expensive germans, I can see the Genesis poaching more sales from Inifiniti, Lexus and Acura.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2012, 10:54:55 am »
They discontinued the manual for the BMW 5 series this model year.

Looks like the Infiniti G37S is the last mid size RWD available with a manual standing.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2012, 11:14:22 am »
Do you think they were going after luxury and sporty and came up short (hence the general feeling that it is more luxury than sporty)?

Or were they intentionally aiming for more luxury than sporty, but then why the "R-Spec" label?
I think they had the R-Spec label because in the US they still offer the old 4.6L V8 and their top model is called the R-Spec.  So when it comes to Canada in top trim it's called the R-Spec.  I think they were more about offering a more aggressive looking Genesis than about offering more performance.  That being said the Coupe R-Spec has more performance parts than the other trims and it more about performance than about luxury.  Seems like a mixed bag to determine what Hyundai considers a R-Spec vehicle.  I wonder if the Veloster turbo will be called the Veloster R-Spec?

I don't think they were aiming for sporty in development—i don't see much, if any, emphasis on sport on the Canadian site for the Genesis. However, I don't quite understand why Hyundai placed it in the SPORTS - PERFORMANCE (over $50k) category in AJAC CCOTY, putting it up against the Mustang, Camaro Convertible, 300C SRT8, 1 M Coupe and Cayman R when they had the LUXURY category available, in which i would hazard to say that they would have fared better...

I agree that a simple S would have been the way to go...

Perhaps after three category wins (most of any manufacturer), they felt that four wins would be boasting  ;)
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.