Author Topic: What Would You Like to See Different on autos.ca  (Read 5856 times)

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
Re: What Would You Like to See Different on autos.ca
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 09:56:39 am »
Allow members to drive your testers.  Only for those with at least 1,000 posts, though - to weed out the riff-raff.   ;D

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 10:11:02 am »
Allow members to drive your testers.  Only for those with at least 1,000 posts, though - to weed out the riff-raff.   ;D

Hey, if you see something in my sig you want to check out, let me know.  This goes for anyone, but you need to come to Oakville and many cars can't be driven

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 10:43:25 am »

James is working on apps for iphone and bb.  And what, James, Chris and I aren't enough for you?  ;D

Come on James, no Android app!  BOOOO!  Or is it out there already...

Autos.ca is the only place where the writers will actually interact with the readers (well, insideline does occasionally too), and that alone makes it the most valuable auto website in my eyes.  Where else can I ask a question on Day 1 of a multi-day test, and James will answer it on Day 3's section?  I realize the other writers (Paul, Jill, etc.) are busy, but even chiming in once in a while would be a huge plus.

More comparison tests would be great, but I understand those are very difficult to organize and the mnfrs may not be game. 

Just keep doing what autos.ca does.  There's always room for improvement, but there's a lot more room to go downhill.  If you don't believe me, look at autos123.com, driving.ca, or autonet.ca.  Awful, all of them.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 10:56:49 am »
I'd love to see some articles from the archive. Not sure how far back yours goes but say a reprint of a Hyundai Pony road test - would make for an interesting contrast and retrospective. Any Canada specific cars would be great too - Ladas, Fireflys, etc.

I'd like the Bill Vance classic articles as well. Those modern classics ones that appeared randomly were quite good too. Of course I quite like unusual classic and everyday sort of classics.

I do like the rest with the obvious exception of the lawyer column. I do have to admit I read it once and while - it is like a train wreak - you want to look away but just can't. Then feel slightly bad afterwards.

Props to the writers who hang out on here too - certainly adds to their articles.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 11:29:01 am »

Hey, if you see something in my sig you want to check out, let me know.  This goes for anyone, but you need to come to Oakville and many cars can't be driven

Damn.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 11:35:56 am »

maybe 10,000 post  ;D

Cobourg would be a nice highway on  Sunday from either Oakville or Ottawa, I know nice places for lunch

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 11:37:53 am »
Dear Autos forum, I never though this would happen to me..... ;D

:rofl: :rofl2:

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 12:25:53 pm »
When new threads are posted by CD Editor regarding the unveiling of X vehicle at x auto show, it would be nice to have some pics posted as well.  I'm always anxious to open up these threads and see a pic of what was unveiled only to see just a very small write up with no pic.  I'm not sure how doable it would be as I have no idea how often Autos.ca staff attend these functions, but just thought I'd throw that out there.  :)
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 12:38:31 pm »
When new threads are posted by CD Editor regarding the unveiling of X vehicle at x auto show, it would be nice to have some pics posted as well.  I'm always anxious to open up these threads and see a pic of what was unveiled only to see just a very small write up with no pic.  I'm not sure how doable it would be as I have no idea how often Autos.ca staff attend these functions, but just thought I'd throw that out there.  :)

There should be a picture in the actual news story. You need to click the 'read more'

http://www.autos.ca/general-news/kia-shows-trackster-at-chicago-auto-show
http://www.autos.ca/general-news/gmc-unveils-redesigned-acadia-in-chicago
http://www.autos.ca/general-news/shelby-convertible-unveiled-in-chicago

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 12:45:56 pm »

There should be a picture in the actual news story. You need to click the 'read more'

http://www.autos.ca/general-news/kia-shows-trackster-at-chicago-auto-show
http://www.autos.ca/general-news/gmc-unveils-redesigned-acadia-in-chicago
http://www.autos.ca/general-news/shelby-convertible-unveiled-in-chicago

Sorry Mike, I guess I should of been more specific.  I meant actual pictures from the auto show.  That's why I mentioned that I wasn't sure how doable it would be. 

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 12:47:40 pm »
Budget cuts :P

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 12:50:05 pm »
Budget cuts :P

lol, yeah, we need someone there and in 2012, it ain't happening.  But things are only looking up

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 02:24:27 pm »
No Apax Partners is UK based, they own billions of dollars of stuff all over the world. 

Yes, I've read all about them last night and they own or co-own a bunch of stuff in Canada.  I saw a Montreal address for them in Montreal, but I can't find the link today.  :P

So then what is the deal with this Charness guy.  He's from Montreal I assume.  He must be BUDS with someone from that end of the operation to get his silly stories published in Autos.ca?

You guys must have asked about him at one point?  Who wouldn't? or would you rather not talk about it.  ;)  :rofl2:

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 02:33:39 pm »
He use to publish on CanadianDriver.com  he just carried forward.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2012, 02:34:36 pm »
So then what is the deal with this Charness guy.  He's from Montreal I assume.  He must be BUDS with someone from that end of the operation to get his silly stories published in Autos.ca?

You guys must have asked about him at one point?  Who wouldn't? or would you rather not talk about it.  ;)  :rofl2:

I believe his articles were originally written for the Montreal Gazette, it would have been nice to note in the autos.ca format that he seems to always be referring to Quebec laws. Not mentioning that fact leads us to question every statement he makes as it is sometimes just plain wrong advice in other provinces.  
He at least seems to be a driving enthusiast in his private life.
Mr Pickypants

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2012, 03:12:47 pm »
He use to publish on CanadianDriver.com  he just carried forward.

Don't recall those.  Fading memory sucks.

OK, then lets get down to the bare metal.  Who calls the shots on letting these stories in?    I just got to know.  :rofl2:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 03:22:59 pm by articsteve »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2012, 03:26:49 pm »
^^No kidding!!

I find it hard to believe any editor would say "GREAT ARTICLE!  Put it online ASAP!!" :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline kenm

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2012, 08:39:16 pm »

If that rule is enacted, a certain flaming-monkey-skull-character will become the number one test driver of this operation.

"I paid my four bits to see the high-diving act and I'm a-gonna see the high-diving act. "  Yosemite Sam

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2012, 08:43:37 pm »

If that rule is enacted, a certain flaming-monkey-skull-character will become the number one test driver of this operation.

He should really come by and test some out, he is in the market for a new ride anyway.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2012, 09:06:49 pm »
^^No kidding!!

I find it hard to believe any editor would say "GREAT ARTICLE!  Put it online ASAP!!" :rofl2:

That's another issue we are looking to resolve, we do not have an editor!