Author Topic: Omnibus Blu-ray Thread  (Read 310329 times)

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
Re: Omnibus Blu-ray Thread
« Reply #1440 on: September 05, 2014, 10:39:16 am »
Dex, did you look at your cropped Thunderbirds set yet? How is it?

-----------

Breaking news ... 4K Blu-ray is coming.  :bang:

http://www.avforums.com/news/4k-ultra-hd-uhd-blu-ray-disc-confirmed-2015.10665

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #1441 on: September 05, 2014, 06:53:13 pm »

And the first movies out will be Dumb and Dumber and Ernest goes to Jail:rofl2:

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Omnibus Blu-ray Thread
« Reply #1442 on: September 05, 2014, 10:41:12 pm »

And the first movies out will be Dumb and Dumber and Ernest goes to Jail:rofl2:
how apropos.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: September 07, 2014, 02:37:11 pm »
$15 from HMV. Good movie.

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-167
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: September 09, 2014, 12:16:42 am »
Dex, did you look at your cropped Thunderbirds set yet? How is it?

I almost hate to admit it but it looks great.

I'll reitterate in the strongest possible terms that I am absolutely opposed to altering the original aspect ratio of  a show. It's not something I'll ever support. Given a reasonable cost alternative, I'd buy the 1.33:1 version. But there is no other option that I can afford.

The truth is, if a person was unfamiliar with the history of THUNDERBIRDS, they wouldn't notice anything unusual.

A/V quality is excellent although some process shots are especially grainy (as they have always been). It's a great looking set and the cropping (even though I dissapprove) isn't noticeable unless you are comparing screen shots side by side. And you can't argue with the price for 6 BD's.

(would've answered sooner...been in the hospital for almost a week).

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: September 09, 2014, 08:54:40 am »
(would've answered sooner...been in the hospital for almost a week).

I was wondering what happened - I hope everything is OK.

Mark

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: September 10, 2014, 10:45:05 am »
I'm tempted to get this for £41 (about $75). 14 classic Hitchcock movies.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alfred-Hitchcock-Masterpiece-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B008RLD1VY/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1410360183&sr=1-1&keywords=Alfred+Hitchcock%3A+The+Masterpiece+Collection

There's no way to justify illegal downloading with these sort of prices.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #1447 on: September 21, 2014, 12:37:49 pm »
Awaiting delivery of Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Planes, Trains and Automobiles!  :-)

Posted via Tapatalk from my Samsung GS4

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: September 24, 2014, 05:04:01 pm »
Here's an oddity that I just pre-ordered.

I ordered this with another 3D oddity called DRAGONFLY SQUADRON (artwork posted a couple of pages back).

As I have previously confessed with some embarrassment, I don't even have a 3D set up! I hope to get one in the future but I'm strickly 2D at the moment.

So why would a guy with no 3D capability keep ordering 3D movies? A couple reasons. For one thing, the 3D movies that I'm buying are very cult/niche oriented as in keeping with my general collecting philosophy. As such, there is no guarantee that these movies will be easily available in the future. If I wait until I have a 3D setup in two years, some of these bizarre little movies may be unavailable. Secondly, these two recent orders are movies that have been restored by Bob Furmanek who is the undisputed master of classic 3D. Bob Furmanek's signature on a 3D movie is a quality guarantee of the highest order. And, if need be, they can be viewed in 2D.

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: September 26, 2014, 01:56:01 pm »
So I picked up the Japanese version of The Railway Man, which features the UK cut of the film with Japanese subtitles that can be turned off.

I now have 4 versions (UK, Australian, Japanese and American), 2 cuts (UK, American).

Plus, of course, the original documentary Enemy, My Friend?, available on DVD from Amazon.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do3FwIymiqI

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: September 27, 2014, 10:01:03 am »
If you could provide me with some detail, I would like to know what the differences are between the different releases. I can understand maybe why the Japanese version might be different, but why there would have to be differences between the Australian, UK and American versions. As for the American, do you mean North American, or was it a release for the United States only? I am asking this only because it appears the On Demand movie from Telus may have been the Australian release as there were many screen credits to Australia.

***SPOILERS AHEAD ***

Well, the UK, Australian and Japanese version are the original UK cut. It was put together by the director Jonathan Teplitzky and producer Andy Paterson in Summer of 2013. The American (North American) cut was put together by Andy Paterson and the film's North American distributor, Harvey Weinstein, six months later.

As far as I understand it, there were a few things that affected the re-cut for North America. Since the American release was four months after it had been released in the UK and Australian Markets, it had the benefit of the feedback of the critical response in the UK and Australia (which criticized the pacing of the original cut and the "confusing" flashback structure).

The director wasn't involved, so the producer was able to make changes that he wanted to have done in the original version, but which he couldn't persuade the director to make. Harvey Weinstein, the distributor, wanted to make some changes to make it more accessible for Americans.

Finally, they were able to do some polishing to correct some of the mistakes (like re-dubs of some lines which had come out sounding harsh in the original film), because they had a bit of extra time and money to do a re-edit.

So what did they change? I've seen both versions a few times, but I haven't seen the UK version in a while, but this is what I recall. I'll try not to be too specific. :)

1) the biggest change is the water boarding scene, which cuts away in the American version, but which stays within the the room in the UK version. I think the UK version works much better. There is a claustrophobic feeling in the UK version which isn't present in the American version, plus I don't think the cutaway works dramatically. (I found it a bit confusing.)
2) the radio broadcasts and dialogue understandably mention the Americans involvement in the Pacific much more than in the UK version
3) there is more screen time giving to a character in the POW camp ("Thorlby", I think)
4) there seem to be few domestic scenes in the American cut
5) the film opens with Young Eric walking confidently along a river beside a bridge (the Forth Bridge?) 

What I see as problems corrected in the American version

1) Nagase's flashback to the liberation of the POW camp and his "I'm only an interpreter" scene starts out from the point of view of a prisoner looking through the bars of a bamboo cage in the UK version. Personally, I found this very confusing because all the flashbacks were Eric's up to that point, and the point of view was wrong. The American version starts this scene at the line-up of Japanese prisoners and the Australian officer 'reading them their rights'.
2) the scene in the tent where Eric is explaining the difficult of building a railway through the Jungle ("You need an army of slaves") to me was directionless in the UK cut. I thought it was the worse scene in the whole movie. The American cut fixes this scene
3) I think the reconciliation scene with Patti and Eric, when both are standing at the open door of the house on his return from Kanchanaburi is reedited. Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember this being a lot more powerful in the UK cut. I found it disconcerting in the original cut, because it was too powerful. It was like the movie ended there. Plus, in the UK version, the next scene is a very passive domestic that didn't work for me. The American version diffuses the power of the reunion and carry through to the return to Kanchanaburi for the final act much better, although the movie does seem to miss something because of that.

Overall, my impression is that the American cut seemed surprisingly relentless, while the UK cut was more emotional. I haven't done a side by side comparison, so I can really say if that is accurate, though.

Just to clarify, the American cut is the same one screened in Canada, so I'm sure that's the one on Telus. The film is an Australian UK co-production, with a lot of the financing coming from Australia, which is why there are so many Australian logos on the film.

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: September 28, 2014, 11:01:18 pm »

I imagine that they had to tone down the waterboarding scenes for the North American version as I think it would be more for political reasons in the US.

I'm not sure it was anything political (who knows?) ... but from what I understand, Harvey Weinstein liked his edit of the scene and since he was paying, that's the way it was cut. It does have an appealing The Prisoner vibe to it, but I think it is a bit convoluted.

I'm not sure that there is anything shortened re the waterboarding scene itself. It's just that the American edit is not as effective in my opinion. I do think it's the major weakness to the American cut.

Oh, and the scene on the Holy Island causeway (the scene in the car) is also an addition to the American edit. That scene was shot in a barn, just up the road from Holy Island and a place where my Mother likes to go to tea!

http://www.barnatbeal.com/index.php

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: September 30, 2014, 05:34:21 am »
Picked this up from Future Shop for $15.

It has 3 classic spaghetti western movies. Only $5 each!

This is the latest release of the trilogy. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly has been remastered from a new 4K transfer, an upgrade over the previous (white cover) release.

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: October 02, 2014, 10:30:49 am »
I just ordered the upcoming Criterion release of THE NIGHT PORTER.

This isn't the Blu-ray art but it's the best pic I could find.

The movie is hard to explain so I won't try.

I will say that Charlotte Rampling's name on a movie makes it an automatic buy for me. I find her absolutely spellbinding. In fact, the only biographical documentary that I own on Blu-ray is a biography of Charlotte Rampling.

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: October 03, 2014, 04:53:57 pm »
And I ordered this on Blu-ray as well.

I've been waiting for a price break. Although the price drop at amazon.ca was small, it was just enough to push me towards a purchase with free shipping.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: October 03, 2014, 05:02:03 pm »
Hey Dex, how is South Park on BD? :D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: October 03, 2014, 06:10:44 pm »
Hey Dex, how is South Park on BD? :D

Funny enough...but it's a cartoon :).

Well, no, it's not a "cartoon".

But those solid blocks of colour don't benefit from HD as much as the more subtley shaded productions. That being said, if you are going to own it, you may as well own it on Blu-ray!

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: October 09, 2014, 12:56:20 pm »
Several months ago, Warner released the original DEATH WISH on Blu-ray.

Fox has the rights to sequels Death wish 2, 3 and 4.

I wouldn't pay big money for the sequels but I was delighted to find the DEATH WISH TRIPLE THREAT COLLECTION with the three sequels at Best Buy for $9.99. The collection has each movie on it's own Blu-ray...basically repackaging the original Fox discs into one case. At $3.33 per disc, I have no trouble dropping some pocket change for three Charles Bronson revenge flicks.

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: October 11, 2014, 01:56:57 am »
Picked this up from Best Buy for $10

Never seen it (a bit before my time), but always heard good things about it. :)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #1459 on: October 11, 2014, 07:47:59 am »
You are in for a treat!  It's definately an actor's movie.