Author Topic: I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.  (Read 349097 times)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: Re: I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
« Reply #660 on: September 14, 2014, 05:08:02 am »
only had the truck for 4 days? and the "media system" (aka stereo with screen) has frozen and rebooted once per day.    I had issues with the I-pod a few weeks ago, going to wipe the I-pod and start fresh to see if that helps.   If not... it'll be a stop at the dealership.
Seems most often when there's an issue with infotainment, it's an Apple product for some reason.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
Re: I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
« Reply #661 on: September 16, 2014, 09:11:12 am »
I had a chat with my friend who has the 2013 Taco and my parents who have the 2014 Corolla.

both have issues.   Now my friend mentioned this to the dealer on his first service and they did some software update and he hasn't had problems since. 

My parents have the same problems as I do, so we'll be both talking to the dealer about it.

A friend of mine had a 1993 Corolla 4wd wagon that he bought new.  The CD player would regularly swallow discs and not give them back unless you disconnected the battery, reconnected it, and then started the car.  Old - school re-boot.

Our 2009 RAV 4's CD player died 2 months after getting the car.  They replaced it on the spot and I never had an issue for the remainder of ownership.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #662 on: September 16, 2014, 09:35:17 am »
My dad's 1990 Corolla went through several cassette decks.... nothing has gone wrong with my 2011 .... yet  ;D

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #663 on: September 17, 2014, 01:21:00 pm »
funny no screen / media freeze since my post.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #664 on: September 18, 2014, 03:38:15 pm »
Almost 6 months since last post  :o
Did you sell the the ML?
Bump  ;D

Sorry AB I didn't see this. No, I bought out the lease (complete with the complementary warranty they gave me) at the end of June. Not sure how long I'll keep it but I have warranty coverage to June 2017 so there's no hurry to decide anything.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #665 on: September 18, 2014, 05:28:31 pm »
Almost 6 months since last post  :o
Did you sell the the ML?
Bump  ;D

Sorry AB I didn't see this. No, I bought out the lease (complete with the complementary warranty they gave me) at the end of June. Not sure how long I'll keep it but I have warranty coverage to June 2017 so there's no hurry to decide anything.
But has it back to the shop , or did you read it the Riot act,  so is it behaving now ;D

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: September 18, 2014, 07:40:39 pm »
So far so good (knocks on wood, crosses fingers, rubs rabbbit's foot etc etc  ;))

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: September 18, 2014, 07:44:50 pm »
So far so good (knocks on wood, crosses fingers, rubs rabbbit's foot etc etc  ;))

Since you said that, you're gonna get a CEL within the next few weeks.  :)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: December 09, 2014, 08:21:35 pm »
Still no CEL but the blind spot warning system appears to have packed it in yet again.

Strange this time...no message saying it is inoperative but the lights in the mirrors are both out and when I put the signal light on with a car beside me today to test it I got no warning signals.

Appointment on Thursday.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: December 09, 2014, 08:25:18 pm »
Still no CEL but the blind spot warning system appears to have packed it in yet again.

Strange this time...no message saying it is inoperative but the lights in the mirrors are both out and when I put the signal light on with a car beside me today to test it I got no warning signals.

Appointment on Thursday.

How many times?  Is this the 3rd time?

Northernridge

« Reply #670 on: December 09, 2014, 08:30:23 pm »
I'm on my second set of blind spot sensors. Local service guy said MB finally changed the design. Said they changed the sealing because previous versions would fail with freezing and thawing temps. Specifically they would freeze, crack, thaw, get wet and fail.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: December 09, 2014, 08:32:28 pm »
I'm on my second set of blind spot sensors. Local service guy said MB finally changed the design. Said they changed the sealing because previous versions would fail with freezing and thawing temps. Specifically they would freeze, crack, thaw, get wet and fail.

How is this not caught in testing?  Most manufacturers do pretty extensive cold weather testing.  I guess not MB?

Northernridge

« Reply #672 on: December 09, 2014, 08:36:12 pm »
And they didn't fix it for a couple years either. Just kept shipping the same lousy parts.

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #673 on: December 09, 2014, 08:45:58 pm »

How is this not caught in testing?  Most manufacturers do pretty extensive cold weather testing.  I guess not MB?
:rofl: Testing?? The guy who signed off on the headlight design for our Cherokee should be fired. I would guess testing is a lot of lip service than actual testing.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: December 09, 2014, 08:51:28 pm »

Appointment on Thursday.

How many times?  Is this the 3rd time?

Depends what's wrong. I think the sensors have been replaced twice....some part of the wiring harness once and one mirror when the warning light embedded in the glass failed.

Northernridge

« Reply #675 on: December 09, 2014, 08:54:33 pm »
My dealer said I'd be shocked at the repair bill when a Mercedes is rear-ended because of all the electronics in the rear bumper.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: December 09, 2014, 09:02:59 pm »

:rofl: Testing?? The guy who signed off on the headlight design for our Cherokee should be fired. I would guess testing is a lot of lip service than actual testing.

I know GM, Porsche, Toyota/Lexus, Acura/Honda..just to name a few...go WAAAYYY up north to do testing.  Real world stuff.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: December 09, 2014, 09:04:08 pm »
Sounds like it is less trouble to turn one's head to check the blind spots than rely on the blind spot detector. 

It is easy to miss stuff in testing if the person or persons writing the test cases didn't think of that situation and create a test case for it.  Or they decide to take a risk and not have a test case created for the situation, assuming it won't be a high risk problem.  Some times you just don't have the resources or time to test every situation before the product is released.  Test what you can, cross your fingers and hope it doesn't come back and bite your ass. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #678 on: December 09, 2014, 09:10:14 pm »

I know GM, Porsche, Toyota/Lexus, Acura/Honda..just to name a few...go WAAAYYY up north to do testing.  Real world stuff.
GM is at Kapuskasing On , and Ford is at Thompson Man

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: December 09, 2014, 09:18:57 pm »

I have a funny story about headlight "testing".  Back when the Mercury Cougars came out in 1999, I worked for the place that did the lenses.  You'll recall the lenses had a bubble of sort in it (picture below).  One day, there was a mad scramble at work.  We had to do an engineering change immediately.  Turns out Mercury's design for the headlamp had a flaw in it.  At certain elevations/angle of the sun, it turned the bubble into a magnifying glass...and it was melting the headlight bucket, reflectors, etc!!

Ooops...