Author Topic: Going to climb Alpe d'Huez this weekend. 2014 Update added  (Read 9416 times)

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Re: Going to climb Alpe d'Huez this weekend. 2012 Update added
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 01:32:25 pm »

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 02:32:11 pm »
That's awesome.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +474/-1110
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 04:30:12 pm »
Great! Congrats!

vdk

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 04:42:51 pm »
Great job!  :thumbup:

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 02:20:22 pm »
Must be a good feeling  :thumbup:
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: Going to climb Alpe d'Huez this weekend. 2014 Update added
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 08:14:21 pm »
Its that time of the year again where I go and climb Whiteface. We missed it last year (2013) which made me a little unhappy as I felt I was in my best climbing form and judging from my Strava most of my climbing PR's where in 2013 which I'm having troubles beating now. This year I think I'm a better all around cyclist but my climbing has suffered a little for this.

I still have the same bike but I bought better (lighter) wheels last year so hopefully this will give me the edge I need. My goal is to crack 40 minutes and if I can get into the 38's I will be on top of the world. I can feel the lactic acid burning already.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 08:17:07 pm »
 :bow: Quad! :winner:

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1249/-7194
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 08:17:16 pm »
Its that time of the year again where I go and climb Whiteface. We missed it last year (2013) which made me a little unhappy as I felt I was in my best climbing form and judging from my Strava most of my climbing PR's where in 2013 which I'm having troubles beating now. This year I think I'm a better all around cyclist but my climbing has suffered a little for this.

Why?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 08:38:46 pm »
Another year older?  :rofl2:

In 2013 I did spring training (March) in Spain which gave me a tonne of quality climbing at the start of my season. This year I didn't.

I think I focused more on endurance this year plus getting my flat land speed higher which does show with my average speeds on rides.

Family stuff reduced my training during my prime training months (May and June).

Those would be some reasons without doing any scientific studies. My weight is the same this year and I feel as strong. Friends say my pulls are great and like to leave me at the front more often now.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 09:23:14 pm »
Another year older:rofl2:

In 2013 I did spring training (March) in Spain which gave me a tonne of quality climbing at the start of my season. This year I didn't.

I think I focused more on endurance this year plus getting my flat land speed higher which does show with my average speeds on rides.

Family stuff reduced my training during my prime training months (May and June).

Those would be some reasons without doing any scientific studies. My weight is the same this year and I feel as strong. Friends say my pulls are great and like to leave me at the front more often now.

Wait to you get my age young fella

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2014, 10:30:19 pm »
Another year older:rofl2:

Wait to you get my age young fella

I'll be adding e-assist by then like Cancellara did.  ;)

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2014, 02:30:00 am »
A few minutes' drive from Vancouver are two such climbs.  If you start at the bases, rather than sea level one is 2500' vertical mostly in 10km, and the other is 3000' vertical in 12km.  These are my favorite rides, since they provide a lot of exercise for the time required, and the traffic is very light.  When I was younger, I'd do them in an hour, but they take me 65 to 80 minutes now.   That's on a hybrid bike that, equipped as it is and with the gear I take with me (fenders, rack, saddlebag, patch kit, lock, water, phone, extra clothing), weighs over 30lb. 

Once a year each I get back to the bottom and turn around and go up a second time.  So that makes 5000' or 6000' of climbing.  The second half of the second time up is "unpleasant".  Coming down is sort of fun, but I worry about mechanical failure or a deer jumping onto the road.  Early in the spring or late in the fall, coming down is a bit of an ordeal since you're freezing due to being soaked with sweat from the ride up, and despite carrying extra clothing up.  Sometimes at the top I lock up the bike and go for an alpine hike for an hour or two. 

30 years ago it was unusual to see anyone else riding up these roads. Now, it's odd to see less than a dozen other riders each time out.  Some nice summer weekend days see perhaps 200 people doing each of them, and there are various organized rides up them.

It's funny how one's attitudes toward these rides changes.   During the climbs, as the effort goes from ok to grueling, I question why I'm doing this.  If it's hot, I never have enough water, and if it's cold, coming down is quite unpleasant. If it's really hot (85F or higher), you start feeling ill and have to rest to cool off, or even give up.  Yet, within a few days of one of these rides, I find myself NEEDING to go ride up one of them. Good to hear someone else here has been bitten by the bug of doing Cat 1 bike climbs, whatever the equipment or the time needed.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2014, 06:45:08 am »
It's funny how one's attitudes toward these rides changes.   During the climbs, as the effort goes from ok to grueling, I question why I'm doing this.  If it's hot, I never have enough water, and if it's cold, coming down is quite unpleasant. If it's really hot (85F or higher), you start feeling ill and have to rest to cool off, or even give up.  Yet, within a few days of one of these rides, I find myself NEEDING to go ride up one of them. Good to hear someone else here has been bitten by the bug of doing Cat 1 bike climbs, whatever the equipment or the time needed.

Too funny as that is 100% true.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2014, 03:24:26 pm »
 :bow:

AWESOME REPORT!!!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2014, 05:00:53 pm »
I have never gone on a long climb, just the ones Quad has took me on. The longest locally is about 6km.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2014, 06:37:32 pm »
I have never gone on a long climb, just the ones Quad has took me on. The longest locally is about 6km.

You would be only 2 kms from the top of Whiteface by then. Nothing to it.

Btw, when are we going to ride some real hills together? Need to get you up to Creemore. Could make it an open invite as I could create different routes for different abilities and then all meet back at the pub for a beer.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2014, 06:43:34 pm »

You would be only 2 kms from the top of Whiteface by then. Nothing to it.

Btw, when are we going to ride some real hills together? Need to get you up to Creemore. Could make it an open invite as I could create different routes for different abilities and then all meet back at the pub for a beer.

Yep, I ready to cough up a lung  :P

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2014, 02:10:36 am »

I should add that your time up Whiteface is very fast, probably as fast as bike racers would go.  But I won't say that in case the resident juveniles accuse you of being a mole on the forum for the purpose of getting car enthusiasts to quit driving and get rid of their cars.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1249/-7194
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2014, 02:16:56 am »

I should add that your time up Whiteface is very fast, probably as fast as bike racers would go.  But I won't say that in case the resident juveniles accuse you of being a mole on the forum for the purpose of getting car enthusiasts to quit driving and get rid of their cars.

It doesn't matter how fast a bicycle goes.  It would never be fast enough for me to get rid of my sports car. 

Hope that wasn't too juvenile for you.  :)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12340
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2014, 04:52:22 am »

I still have the same bike but I bought better (lighter) wheels last year so hopefully this will give me the edge I need. My goal is to crack 40 minutes and if I can get into the 38's I will be on top of the world. I can feel the lactic acid burning already.

Awesome climbing. So how noticeable was the wheel upgrade?
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.