Author Topic: Spy look at '12 Toyota Camry  (Read 19569 times)

Offline whistler

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Spy look at '12 Toyota Camry
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2011, 11:34:45 pm »
I suspect it's a reflex reaction to car enthusiasts that the Camry has to be boring no matter what. Or perhaps a Pavlovian response :)

I'm not saying it's exciting but that looks decently handsome. So does the headlight. But I think Toyota just needs to show us the damn car and get it over with! It is after all a midsized sedan and not a Mustang GT :)

Some people feel that in order to be "real" car enthusiasts they have to hate the cars that regular buyers love. It is an elitism thing.

Kind of like how "real" Grateful Dead fans all say they hate Touch of Grey.

Personally, even if I might not be the kind of person that would buy a Camry, I respect the car for what it is good at and see how it appeals to so many people (over 300,000 a year in NA...).

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2011, 11:34:57 pm »

"We're thrilled Buick is offering a manual gearbox, but unfortunately, it's a lifeless piece that doesn't provide the mechanical feel that's such a satisfying part of changing gears. Also, as we've noted before, the Regal's structure doesn't feel as solid or as well-screwed-together as its competition."

So I guess the question becomes....In this class of car, would you rather a crappy manual or a good auto?

Crappy manual please!  ;D

Where did you get that quote, ArticsAutoReview?

Oh sorry, man!!  http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/reviews/drives/2012-buick-regal-gs-test-drive

And I'm not sure.  My IS350 (with flappy paddles) was much more pleasant to "shift" than the stick in my Audi TT until I fixed it with $300+ worth of linkages, shifter ball and fluid.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2011, 12:16:46 am »
I suspect it's a reflex reaction to car enthusiasts that the Camry has to be boring no matter what. Or perhaps a Pavlovian response :)

I'm not saying it's exciting but that looks decently handsome. So does the headlight. But I think Toyota just needs to show us the damn car and get it over with! It is after all a midsized sedan and not a Mustang GT :)

Some people feel that in order to be "real" car enthusiasts they have to hate the cars that regular buyers love. It is an elitism thing.

Kind of like how "real" Grateful Dead fans all say they hate Touch of Grey.

Personally, even if I might not be the kind of person that would buy a Camry, I respect the car for what it is good at and see how it appeals to so many people (over 300,000 a year in NA...).

Since when is mediocrity so fashionable? Sure it looks 'decently handsome' but if you're shelling out $30K for a new car do you really want to go for 'decent'? I don't think enthusiasts hate on the Camry for reasons of elitism, it's just that there are cars that deliver similar virtues to what the Camry offers yet have more style, character and performance for similar money. If I saw someone buying a ham and cheese sandwich for $5, am I an elitist for telling them there's a grilled steak sandwich right next to it for the same price? I'm just looking out for my neighbour!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2011, 01:09:09 am »
I've had 4 Toyotas in the past and was pretty happy with them. I'm disappointed in them now because they just don't seem to try anymore. They are following the crisis curve TG referred to earlier in the Corolla thread, too conservative, no longer innovative, spend more effort on cost cutting than R&D.

Their great strength and fallback position has always been stellar reliability, and even though it's still very, very good overall, it is nowhere near the night/day difference that it used to be 10+ years ago. The Camry in particular is now rated as "average". A few model years have been "worse than average" or "much worse than average". Hard to charge a premium for a car when the competition is at least as good, or in some cases better, at delivering the reliability it used to be renowned for. 

At the risk of starting the Buick hate machine up again, of all the things the Regal can be legitimately accused of, flimsy body structure isn't one of 'em. Solid as a church.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 01:25:19 am by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2011, 05:02:24 pm »
I've had 4 Toyotas in the past and was pretty happy with them. I'm disappointed in them now because they just don't seem to try anymore. They are following the crisis curve TG referred to earlier in the Corolla thread, too conservative, no longer innovative, spend more effort on cost cutting than R&D.

Their great strength and fallback position has always been stellar reliability, and even though it's still very, very good overall, it is nowhere near the night/day difference that it used to be 10+ years ago. The Camry in particular is now rated as "average". A few model years have been "worse than average" or "much worse than average". Hard to charge a premium for a car when the competition is at least as good, or in some cases better, at delivering the reliability it used to be renowned for. 

At the risk of starting the Buick hate machine up again, of all the things the Regal can be legitimately accused of, flimsy body structure isn't one of 'em. Solid as a church.

So a guy with a Subaru is talking about reliability??   ;D

Offline whistler

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2011, 05:10:28 pm »
Here she is:

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 05:15:14 pm by whistler »

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +38/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2011, 05:16:35 pm »
Here she is:

I can hardly contain my excitement.... :P It looks so dated almost like the old MK5 Camry..
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 06:17:47 am by Ontariodriver »

Offline whistler

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2011, 05:38:58 pm »
Here she is:

I can hardly contain my excitement.... :P It looks so date almost like the old MK5 Camry..

Suit yourself. I think its probably the best looking Camry ever made, inside and out. Definitely a big improvement from the previous car.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2011, 05:52:51 pm »
Here she is:

I can hardly contain my excitement.... :P It looks so date almost like the old MK5 Camry..

Suit yourself. I think its probably the best looking Camry ever made, inside and out. Definitely a big improvement from the previous car.

WTF is with the silly/stupid style line on the passenger dash??

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2011, 08:35:32 pm »
Here she is:

It is symmetrical with the driver's side.

From the pics it looks bigger and perhaps more stylish than the current 1.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2011, 08:41:30 pm »

No it isn't.  Unless you mean the teeny 4" section above the vent on the drivers side.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2011, 08:49:09 pm »

No it isn't.  Unless you mean the teeny 4" section above the vent on the drivers side.

:winner:

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2011, 09:32:59 pm »
Hey neighbour see my new Camry.......Where?.......cough cough cough......oh yes yes I can see it now.  Mix of the last 2 generations.........yawn..........bedtime. :sleep:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2011, 09:42:06 pm »
Hey neighbour see my new Camry.......Where?.......cough cough cough......oh yes yes I can see it now.  Mix of the last 2 generations.........yawn..........bedtime. :sleep:

Yup...like the Altima, Fusion, Malibu, etc.  I think the only design most recently that was a radical departure was the Sonata.

(BTW, the Camry has looked pretty much the same since 2006, whereas the Altima has looked the same since 2002)   ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 09:49:01 pm by rrocket »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2011, 09:43:32 pm »

Yeah, That's a bit weird.

Front end is a huge improvement. The rest of the exterior is fine, which is enough in this class.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2011, 12:23:35 am »

Yep that's probably what he means and that's how I saw it. My OCD self would probably get annoyed if it wasn't ultimately symmetrical... so I'm ok... phew :)

I think it looks decent. If the materials are higher quality like they said (class leading? Come on Toyota) then it'll be a great midsize car. Even if the exterior isn't inspired it's the interior where you spend the time and if that is well engineered from both a ergonomic perspective and from a materials and nvh perspective then good.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2011, 05:54:16 am »

Yup...like the Altima, Fusion, Malibu, etc.  I think the only design most recently that was a radical departure was the Sonata.

(BTW, the Camry has looked pretty much the same since 2006, whereas the Altima has looked the same since 2002)   ;D
You mean the Altima has been the sportiest ride since 02 ;)  Thank You Nissan ;D  I'm sure a new sporty design is in the making.

Offline whistler

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2011, 01:33:46 pm »

And even the Sonata isn't all that much of a departure in real life... it just looks like the other sedans inflated over PSI than it should be.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2011, 02:26:56 pm »
Definitely dullsville. Looks like they just went back to the model before the last one and sad "Right, let's do that again."

Any word on engines - or just carry-overs?  The existing V6 is still one of the best out there, IMO, so it wouldn't shock me if they just hung on to that.

Jaeger
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:38:03 pm by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2011, 03:58:43 pm »
Oh look, toyota borrowed Acura's beak  ;D

More shots:

Camry paddle shifters:

More Photos