Author Topic: Increasing Tire Sizes  (Read 2175 times)

Offline ctrianta

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Increasing Tire Sizes
« on: April 14, 2011, 11:09:23 pm »
What does increasing a tires size from 17 to 20 or to even 22" do with respect to:

Safety
Performance
Winter

This on a 2011 GMC Yukon XL

Thanks....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing Tire Sizes
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 11:47:48 pm »
Safety?  Likely less safe, since the OEM suspension geometry was not optimized for that size tire.

Performance?  Possibly less performance due to the greater rotating mass of the heavier rims.

Winter?  Likely worse...not too many 20"+ winter tires available...and if it's a wider tread than stock, it will be a bit worse traction-wise in the snow.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 12:03:34 am »
Safety?  Likely less safe, since the OEM suspension geometry was not optimized for that size tire.

Only if he goes up in tire diameter, 20" is an OE rim size for that model.

Mr Pickypants

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 12:07:15 am »
Having those 22" blingers use to add to your street creed, but after even Toyota used them on a Venza mommobile them became seriously uncool IMO.
I watched a Focus vid in the other thread and realized that I'd much rather have these 5 spokes:
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline ajay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +16/-34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 02:24:51 am »
Your car will be much slower off the line . All that added weight of a bigger wheel it will put undo stress on your suspension components making your suspension wear out much faster . I don't mind going up a wheel size or 2 as long as the wheel I'm buying is lighter than the one it replaces . 17's give me all the grip I need . Light is right , not the other way around .

THESE BIG wheel sizes are just silly ,matched only by the high prices you need to pay for the tires for them
Why don't you just light 2 $ 1,000 dollar bills on fire instead, your suspension will thank you .
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 02:40:40 am by ajay »

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 06:47:52 am »
Wikipedia discusses the issue here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus_sizing
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Offline ctrianta

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 11:50:07 pm »
Thanks!  Definite food for thought!  Sticking with factory only options, would in a nut shell NOT screw anything up (going to 20").
There should be better control and stability EXCEPT in winter in which case buy 17" winter tires.

Any thoughts on Tire Pressure Monitoring systems and changing tire sizes?  I've read that regardless of going up or down in size that
this can play havoc on those systems and give false readings???

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 08:29:07 am »
And that can be annoying.  ::) :D