Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Lexus CT 200h  (Read 15673 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Lexus CT 200h
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 01:39:25 pm »
I saw one of these parked on my walk with my dog.  It was white and I found it to be a very good looking hatch back.

Are you in Fredericton? If so, I think I know who owns that one.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 02:31:29 pm »
I don't think Lexus built this car for the enthusiasts on this board. Isn't it for somebody that wants a hybrid that has a little big of luxury and a little bit of sport in it? If so, I think that is what they have here.

Believe it or not, everybody doesn't care how fast a car gets to 100kph or the next street light.

I think once the supply comes back, this car will sell quite well.
Good poiont Quad!

For me, I'd rather have a fully loaded Mazda 3 or a 4 door GTI over this. 

Can you seriously suggest that someone would cross shop a lexus, even the cheapest one, against Mazda? I wouldn't.
No, I'm sure they won't be cross shopped against each other.  But, they are similar in size.  A fully loaded Mazda 3 Sport with leather and the nav isn't a bad place to sit.  With no manual gearbox available, a CT doesn't even make it onto my radar.  A Mazda 3 Sport or a 4 door GTI would be my choice over the CT.   
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 02:43:41 pm »
I don't think Lexus built this car for the enthusiasts on this board. Isn't it for somebody that wants a hybrid that has a little big of luxury and a little bit of sport in it? If so, I think that is what they have here.

Believe it or not, everybody doesn't care how fast a car gets to 100kph or the next street light.

Good poiont Quad!

For me, I'd rather have a fully loaded Mazda 3 or a 4 door GTI over this. 

Can you seriously suggest that someone would cross shop a lexus, even the cheapest one, against Mazda? I wouldn't.
No, I'm sure they won't be cross shopped against each other.  But, they are similar in size.  A fully loaded Mazda 3 Sport with leather and the nav isn't a bad place to sit.  With no manual gearbox available, a CT doesn't even make it onto my radar.  A Mazda 3 Sport or a 4 door GTI would be my choice over the CT.   

I am totally with you on the GTI. Though not quite a luxo brand, I can see it being cross shopped. Mazda3, OTOH, wouldn't be the next car I would test drive after the CT. By all means, there are other cars out there that will beat the CT in many ways. Even Toyota's own Prius is more fuel efficient, more roomy, and just as reliable. But it's missing one tiny detail - the badge.

zoobaru

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 03:35:51 pm »

Exactly! This car isn't for the sporty hatch back crowd despite calling it sporty, its for the hybrid crowd who don't want to drive around in a taxi (in Vancouver 90% of taxi's are Prius's). Take a Prius, give it better styling, better handling, add a Lexus IS front end and only charge a few thousand more! We have one on order for my wife!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 05:24:47 pm »
absolutely this car will be cross shopped by a whole slew of hatches including the mazda 3, audi a3 tdi and gas version, 5 door gti, etc etc.  after all it does have a corolla engine. 

The CT200h shares the engine with only 2 other cars...and they're both hybrids.  While the bore and stroke are the same and it shares a few common parts from the engine family, this is most definitely not the same engine found in the Corolla.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 09:20:33 pm »
ah sorry it's the prius engine which is derived from the corolla engine.  98hp= dog.

Combined with the electric, it makes ~135HP.  0-60 about the same as most other sub compacts..

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 10:10:56 pm »
ah sorry it's the prius engine which is derived from the corolla engine.  98hp= dog.

Combined with the electric, it makes ~135HP.  0-60 about the same as most other sub compacts..

Still a dog.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 10:21:07 pm »
I don't think any of the Toyota hybrids are performance cars.  It's all about fuel economy.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 10:27:14 pm »
I don't think any of the Toyota hybrids are performance cars.  It's all about fuel economy.

Yeah, but this one gives off a lot of cues of being a hot hatch. Until you step on the gas.

And it is not just the lack of power. It is just that the delivery is so tedious. Just nothing fun in that drivetrain. Well, except for maybe when you keep passing gas stations. :)

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2011, 12:23:58 am »

:iagree:  Sportier than a Prius. Still green. Hatchback practicality. Predictably good reliability and dealer experience. For $30K, one could certainly do worse.
Bingo. I could see myself driving one... it looks like a good size, it looks very good in person (better than in pictures) and it's got the efficiency of a Prius with a nicer and less wonky interior. Definitely appealing.

I thought so, too, until I drove one. Seriously, my Fit feels like a genuine sports car compared to the CT. The throttle is muted, and even in 'Sport' mode, it's still not up to snuff.
That is disappointing... because 130ish hp can be fairly good if the rest of the powertrain is willing and the weight isn't too extravagant. I wonder what it would take to boost the power of the electric motors and put in some new Lithium Polymer batteries? I know the price would go up but if they could add power through the electric motor components... that'd be a pretty fun car with a fair bit of torque instantly available. It wouldn't be a speed demon but surely fun (say with an extra 40 or 50 hp electrically).

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2011, 09:46:44 am »

Yeah, but this one gives off a lot of cues of being a hot hatch. Until you step on the gas.

And it is not just the lack of power. It is just that the delivery is so tedious. Just nothing fun in that drivetrain. Well, except for maybe when you keep passing gas stations. :)

Precisely, well put!

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2011, 09:49:48 am »
That is disappointing... because 130ish hp can be fairly good if the rest of the powertrain is willing and the weight isn't too extravagant. I wonder what it would take to boost the power of the electric motors and put in some new Lithium Polymer batteries? I know the price would go up but if they could add power through the electric motor components... that'd be a pretty fun car with a fair bit of torque instantly available. It wouldn't be a speed demon but surely fun (say with an extra 40 or 50 hp electrically).

One little trick you can employ with this car is keep it in 'Sport' mode. This boosts the voltage on the battery from 500V to 650V resulting in slightly better dynamics at the cost of (potentially) reduced fuel efficiency. However, if you know how to drive in a fuel efficient manner in the first place, leaving it in 'Sport' mode will not affect fuel consumption and provide you with that tiny bit of extra power when you need it.

Still, it's a dog that looks like a hot hatch.

Boldlygo

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2011, 05:09:37 pm »
Ok, time for my 2 cents:
I am a new happy owner of one of these wonderful CT200h's with the technology package. I am in my mid 50's and have changed cars like socks in the last 15 years. I just traded in a Mazda CX-9 for the CT. I've gone from 267 hp to 134! I do a lot of city driving and was getting more and more tired of the price of filling up my CX-9. I drive by myself most of the time, so I'm not going to miss the size.
I don't find the CT lacking in power, considering what I was used to. I'm not driving on a track, and for 99% of the driving requirements for power, it's adequate (not fast, but it can get up to speed, pass and cruize just fine.)
Other than red light racing, why does one need the power? You can't go over 150km/hr anywhere.
I bought the CT because I felt it was the best car out there with this kind of fantastic gas mileage. I'm getting an average of around 5.2 l/100km right now, but I've gotten as low as 4.8 in some city driving. Just wonderful! Three times the mileage of my CX-9.
I didn't like the Prius (ugly to me), I wouldn't touch German cars (too many problems), the CR-Z was too small and didn't have anywhere near the luxury of the CT, so the CT was it. Here's what one review quoted:
- Great fuel economy
- quiet
- manoeuvrable
- solid build quality
It handles just wonderfully, rides great, has a slew of luxury features, is big enough for my needs (love the hatch design), is built by Toyota and is one of the cheapest cars on gas. What more do you need?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2011, 07:15:48 pm »
What more do you need?
i'm sure its nice, but i would have simply bought the Matrix and saved myself $15k...i know, i know...it isn't as pretty...but if the selling point of the CT200h is "practicality", it's tough to argue my point.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2011, 07:34:23 pm »
What more do you need?
i'm sure its nice, but i would have simply bought the Matrix and saved myself $15k...i know, i know...it isn't as pretty...but if the selling point of the CT200h is "practicality", it's tough to argue my point.

The interior in the Matrix blows.  If you want a really nice interior...luxury interior...the Matrix isn't even on the radar...

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2011, 11:27:10 pm »
Agreed with rrocket... of the Corolla/Matrix pair I had originally wanted the new Matrix. The exterior was ho-hum but when I sat in the interior at the Toronto autoshow for the first time I took the Matrix straight off the list. A horrible terrible interior as far as I'm concerned... I would consider the CT200h long before the Matrix.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2011, 03:07:48 pm »
The interior in the Matrix blows.  If you want a really nice interior...luxury interior...the Matrix isn't even on the radar...
ok, but $15k better??...that almost buys a Honda Fit!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2011, 03:20:20 pm »
ok, but $15k better??...that almost buys a Honda Fit!

It's not just the interior...it's nearly everything.  Your only other option if you want the whole package of luxury and MPG is an Audi A3.  I'd say an Acura CSX might do, but it's still not as nice inside as the Lexus.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2011, 09:49:57 pm »
maybe its just me, but i don't really see anything mindblowingly awesome in the CT, in terms of interior...i'm not saying it's crap (aside from that cheesy gear shifter), but i don't see $15k extra car in there...maybe $5k, but not $15k.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2011, 10:01:33 pm »
maybe its just me, but i don't really see anything mindblowingly awesome in the CT, in terms of interior...i'm not saying it's crap (aside from that cheesy gear shifter), but i don't see $15k extra car in there...maybe $5k, but not $15k.

Well you drive a Hyundai (and a Taurus), so there's nothing I can say to you that will make you understand.  It's not just the interior that commands a hefty premium over a Matrix.  There's a hybrid powertrain for starters, which generally command a premium.  As I said, I won't waste my breath, as you may be to obtuse to understand anyways.

That being said...Is your Elantra Touring GLS worth ~$6K more than a base Elantra Touring?  Maybe it's just me, but I didn't really see anything mind-blowingly awesome in the GLS model options that would justify it....