Author Topic: What car have you been obsessing about today?  (Read 226565 times)

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +36/-13
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda MX-5 Miata, Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
Re: What car have you been obsessing about today?
« Reply #1640 on: July 04, 2013, 09:30:29 am »
Given that this GT40 was the first ever produced by ERA Replicas, there's a good chance that it's also eligible for importation into Canada.  You'd need to confirm what paperwork the seller has to prove its age.

###

REDUCED! ERA GT40 Mk1 replica, serial#2003. This is very first ERA GT40 ever produced. Finished in stunning Competition Yellow [Ditzler Delthane urethane enamel] with black stripes. The original certificate of origin comes with the car dated January 1989 [1989 MSO (Mfr's Statement of Origin)]. The previous owner of this car was Chuck Gutke, owner of Cobra Restorers Ltd. and Cobra & GT40 builder extraordinaire. Being the first factory-produced GT40 from ERA, the fiberglass is thicker on this car than those produced thereafter. On the world stage: this 'Fab Forty' was featured in the Matco Tool Company calendar in 1989, Super Ford Magazine feature article in October of 1989, Sports Car International magazine cover car in July, 1990 [replete with full-sized fold-out wall poster; see the links to full cover story below; be sure to open your browser windows to FULL SCREEN SIZE for each of these high-resolution article images], World of Speed and Beauty in December of 1991, and Petersen’s Specialty Car Magazine front cover car in the summer of 1994. Under the engine deck: a Ford 302 cid cast-iron block outfitted with: a Boss 302 crankshaft and rods, Gurney 'Eagle' semi-hemi cylinder heads with four 48 IDA Weber carburetors, TRW forged pistons, double-roller timing set, and high-volume oil pump. It's also fitted with an Aviaid oil pan, Ford Hi-Po camshaft with solid lifters, Mallory dual point centrifugal distributor with MSD 6A spark box, 180° (bundle of snakes) exhaust system, and Gurney 'Eagle' aluminum valve covers. All of this underhood componentry collaborates to deliver approximately 550 horsepower@6,500 rpm. Geartrain: custom bellhousing; a rugged German ZF#5 DS-25/2 transaxle [5-speed; 5th gear is an overdrive with a reverse lockout]; a pair of custom half-shafts delivers the power to the rolling stock. Rolling stock: original magnesium Halibrand knockoff GT40 wheels shod with 8"x15" front; 8.5"x15" rear rubber. OEM Marchal Quartz-Lode 9" headlamps. In the cockpit: full array of Smiths Instruments gauges and speedometer that registers 200 mph, leather-bound Ford GT steering wheel, premium wool carpeting with custom piping, Legend-correct brass-ring-riveted seat upholstery. It's air conditioned with a Mitsui compressor. This 'fabulous Forty' has logged only 2,083 miles [3,350 km]. $99,500 obo. Contact Jeff at: 770•530•5634 EDT (cell), or email: FredJeffreyAgnew@gmail.com
Gainesville, Georgia (north of Atlanta)
23 May

SCI/Sports Car International cover story ["(GT40) 'Look-Alike'," July, 1990]:

Cover page: http://www.cobracountry.com/GT40s-forsale/GT40-agnew-SCI-01.jpg
Page 76-77: http://www.cobracountry.com/GT40s-forsale/GT40-agnew-SCI-02.jpg
Page 78-79 http://www.cobracountry.com/GT40s-forsale/GT40-agnew-SCI-03.jpg
Page 80-81: http://www.cobracountry.com/GT40s-forsale/GT40-agnew-SCI-04.jpg
Page 82-83: http://www.cobracountry.com/GT40s-forsale/GT40-agnew-SCI-05.jpg
"Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot." - George Carlin

Offline Vmango

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +183/-210
  • Vman
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 TL SH-AWD Elite & 2010 MDX Tech
« Reply #1641 on: July 04, 2013, 09:32:25 am »
I've started looking into research about getting a GT40 kit. I want one so bad. I need to talk to Scarecrow as it seems very difficult to get a turn-key kit into Canada. If my budget was high I'd go Superformance but it seems like there are other great kits available for a little cheaper (if your attention to detail isn't OCD).

Man...I don't blame you for lusting after a GT40.  They're awesome!!  Wish I could afford one.

There is a Canadian importer/distributor for Superformance who can source a new vehicle for you with Transport Canada's blessing.  He's located near St. Catharines if you're interested (www.riversideracers.com).

There are a couple of Canadian importers/distributors of other brand GT40 replicas too, namely Campbell Race Concepts in Burlington (www.campbellrace.com) which represents RCR-Race Car Replicas from Michigan, and Kremyr Chassis Works in Cloverdale BC (www.cavgt.ca) which represents CAV-Cape Advanced Vehicles from South Africa.

Superformance GT40s are available in MkI and MkII body styles.  RCRs are available as MkI, MkII and MkIV.  And CAVs are available as MkI only.  All of these manufacturers have good reputations and the SPFs carry official "continuation series" chassis numbers if that matters to you.  ERA Replicas also makes a great car, but they recently stopped making GT40s so the only option there would be used.

As with Cobra replicas, it's possible to import a completed GT40 replica from anywhere as long as it was fully assembled 15+ years ago, and there is some official paperwork to prove the car's age.  I know someone who imported an older GTD replica from the U.S. this way.  But from experience I can tell you that sellers rarely have the right kind of paperwork so you need to be patient.  Nonetheless www.CobraCountry.com is a good place to look for cars for sale, especially in the U.S.

You should keep your eye out for resale and unfinished cars in Canada too.  They aren't that commonplace, but I've seen a couple in the last two years that looked really nice and tempting.  I know one of them sold, but the other might still be available.

If you wanna discuss more, PM me your phone number.

Hah! 105 grand...... I will have to stay obsessing for now.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I had been looking at RCR and I actually called Fran to make an inquiry. He's a really nice guy and even invited me to the shop for a tour (he's in Michigan) and a drive. It's something Turbo Bob and I have both talked about and I'd really like to go this route. The RCR cars are nice but certainly do not have the detail of the Superformance cars. Still, the RCR cars/kits are significantly less expensive...particularly if you opt for a fiberglass body.

Turn-key can be anywhere from 60K to 150K depending on what you're looking for and who you use.....I'm not quite there yet but a GT40 is going to get hard consideration if/when I buy that third car. These cars are just so special and unique. I mean, if you're going to spend 80K on a sports car it's really compelling. FACK.

I'll keep lurking the forums for now but I will PM you Scarecrow if/when the time is right.

I have my visit to damn Legendary Motorcar to blame.

Offline Vmango

• Car Crazy
  • Vman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: July 04, 2013, 09:33:18 am »
Oh, and I'll have a MkII  ;)

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: July 04, 2013, 10:29:58 am »

Me too.  GT40 replicas are in the 100 grand snack bracket, I'm afraid.  :-(

...particularly if you opt for a fiberglass body.

Might as well.  The original GT40s were fiberglass.

...I have my visit to damn Legendary Motorcar to blame.

I was there three week ago and there was an original GT40 sitting in the showroom.  A road car converted to Wyer Gulf liveried race spec.  Chassis GT40 P/1028, I believe.

Offline Vmango

• Car Crazy
  • Vman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: July 04, 2013, 10:34:43 am »

Me too.  GT40 replicas are in the 100 grand snack bracket, I'm afraid.  :-(

...particularly if you opt for a fiberglass body.

Might as well.  The original GT40s were fiberglass.

...I have my visit to damn Legendary Motorcar to blame.

I was there three week ago and there was an original GT40 sitting in the showroom.  A road car converted to Wyer Gulf liveried race spec.  Chassis GT40 P/1028, I believe.

Hah, that's the one I was lusting after!

Offline Blunderwriter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +95/-114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 F150 E/B XTR, 2011 Fusion Sport, 2012 Sonic
« Reply #1645 on: July 04, 2013, 01:53:31 pm »
Thanks guys...now I can't get up from my chair or leave my desk... :P ::)

Offline 1TSX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +84/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 TSX
« Reply #1646 on: July 07, 2013, 02:51:56 pm »
Alfa Romeo Giulietta.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +35/-96
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 97 Alfa Romeo 155 V6, 07 Saab 9-3 2.0T, 99 Mazda Protege (RIP), 04 Pontiac Grand Prix GT (RIP)
« Reply #1647 on: July 07, 2013, 03:03:54 pm »
Alfa Romeo Giulietta.
gorgeous car! Wish we could get them here...would have mine as a black QV...
Objects in mirror are losing

"I don't see why someone should lose their life just so you can have a snack." ~Russel Brand'

"If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time." ~John

Offline 1TSX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +84/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 TSX
« Reply #1648 on: July 07, 2013, 03:19:24 pm »
Alfa Romeo Giulietta.
gorgeous car! Wish we could get them here...would have mine as a black QV...

I saw alot when I was in Italy last summer. Looks best in black.  :drool:

Offline Blunderwriter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +95/-114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 F150 E/B XTR, 2011 Fusion Sport, 2012 Sonic
« Reply #1649 on: July 11, 2013, 04:20:24 pm »
On my car a'day calendar, these were the last two...and now I'm thinking about them.  Doesn't help I keep the pictures lying around on my desk (taped to the wall, my monitor, wherever) for weeks to help me think about them...  And I don't even know why I suddenly like those Mustangs...but they're growing on me.  Maybe it's just certain angles, and wheels, like almost anything else.  Old Vette's are cool though, right?  Side pipes and all... :skid:

Offline Firm

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +17/-24
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 SLK320, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8, 1996 Firebird, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB, 1969 Lotus Europa, 1979 Triumph Spitfire
« Reply #1650 on: July 11, 2013, 09:05:29 pm »
I love those old C3 Vette's....Horrible cars really; they ride like trucks, their not particularly fast, and the interiors fall apart at a pretty alarming rate....But the racked back seating position, airplane style gauges on the console and the fact that they look like sex on wheels (well, dirty you really shouldn't do it sex...but sex none the less) make them a winner in my books.
I really miss the `73 roadster I had... :(

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +142/-268
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: July 14, 2013, 06:16:02 pm »
Old school cool. (C43 AMG)
Past: 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 12 Jetta TDI
Current: 11 GLK350, 13 TL SHAWD

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: July 14, 2013, 06:49:57 pm »
mid-1970s Lincoln Town Car

I've been watching The Rockford Files on DVD lately and the bad guys always seem to be driving these (no wonder Rockford always outdrives 'em).

Still there's something properly majestic about these old Lincolns.  I like 'em.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +620/-892
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: July 14, 2013, 06:59:55 pm »
mid-1970s Lincoln Town Car

A friend had one.  IT WAS HUGE!!  Back seat was the size of a couch.  Fuel economy?  8 MPG!!   :o
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +209/-260
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Audi Q5 & 2013 Fit
« Reply #1654 on: July 14, 2013, 07:09:50 pm »
I remember those and the MK IV.  For myself I would like an Eldo 'vert light blue over white leather with the (IIRC) 500 cu in 4 barrel engine.   The absolute ultimate pimp mobile...just to drive slowly around on summer weekends.
There is science, logic, reason; there is thought verified by experience.  And then there is California. - Edward Abbey (1927-89)

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: July 14, 2013, 07:36:55 pm »
Oh yeah...those Town Cars were definitely HUGE.  Plenty of room for dead bodies in the trunk.

Speaking of HUGE cars I saw a fabulous 1965 Chrysler Imperial convertible at the Merrickville car show today, in the same colour as the one in the photo below.  The body panels on it were laser straight.  And vast.  I likened the car to an aircraft carrier.

Still, it was totally cool.  Kato and the Green Hornet probably drove one during their vacations.  :pimp:

« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 07:39:13 pm by Scarecrow »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +35/-96
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 97 Alfa Romeo 155 V6, 07 Saab 9-3 2.0T, 99 Mazda Protege (RIP), 04 Pontiac Grand Prix GT (RIP)
« Reply #1656 on: July 15, 2013, 08:04:42 am »
Old school cool. (C43 AMG)

a properly quick and good looking Merc there. Love the old styling, it had something that the newbies just fail to capture...

Offline Vmango

• Car Crazy
  • Vman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: July 16, 2013, 10:45:48 am »

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +557/-734
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: July 16, 2013, 11:25:39 am »
MMMMMMM....just saw one this morning  :love: :drool:

Keep the change you filthy animal.

Offline Vmango

• Car Crazy
  • Vman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: July 16, 2013, 01:48:14 pm »
MMMMMMM....just saw one this morning  :love: :drool:

A MKII GT40? Or the new Ford GT?