Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive  (Read 12424 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Test Drive: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 05:06:41 pm »
On the other hand maybe people just don't care about driving anymore.

Yes and no.  The success of the BRZ/FRS leads me to believe enthusiasts are still out there, but the reality of the luxury car market is that most people just drone to and from work in these cars, and quick steering and agile suspension don't really matter when you're creeping at 30km/h in stop and go traffic.  On the weekends, the minivan is used to shuttle kids around.  Who goes out and just drives anymore?

And if they do, they get something else.  Look at English-Turbo-Bob's thread.  He is looking for a commuter car.  He's going to buy something else for fun.

I wonder how many BMW dealers were losing sales to Lexus "cause it's quieter and rides nicer and the stereo is better?"

Strangely enough, my wife (who is hardly an enthusiast) picked BMW over Lexus because she liked the way it drove better.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 07:20:26 pm »
Caddy was in 4th place for the month and 5th for the year amongst luxury brands. They have been doing better lately than they have in a long while. And they have been getting decent conquest numbers for the CTS and new SRX.

Trends in cars come and go. Sporty handling has been a priority over the last 20-30 years. But tastes change. For the 30 years prior, it was overstuffed brocade or velour seating and pillow soft ride. Who knows where things will go?
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 08:07:27 pm »
Interesting that they outsell Lincoln almost 3 to 1. I guess Ford's renaissance hasn't spilled over to their luxury brand.

Northernridge

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 09:09:10 pm »
Acura makes a surge.

Offline lostcomma

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 12:33:09 am »
I sat in the new 328. I see they outsourced the idrive display to fisher price. Sure hope they used enough glue to attach it as it looks like an after thought. That plus, all the minimal design makes it feel, well cheap in kinda of expensive way. I sat in an A4 the other day and was shocked at the room it had in it compared to the 3series. Plus the A4 still can be had with an manual transmission with all wheels driven. Not that I am a big A4 fan. Neither of these classes are great used. One is too unreliable and the other attracts people who love the name but the lack regular maintenance makes finding a good one not that easy. I do love the motor, chasis, and gearbox in the 2 wheel drive 328 and apparently the Idrive menu/interface is now mature and beats all other in it's easy of use.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 02:03:33 am »
On the other hand maybe people just don't care about driving anymore.

the reality of the luxury car market is that most people just drone to and from work in these cars, and quick steering and agile suspension don't really matter when you're creeping at 30km/h in stop and go traffic.  Look at English-Turbo-Bob's thread.  He is looking for a commuter car.  He's going to buy something else for fun.

This.

Although the BMW actually had better suspension than the Lexus, the Lexus was set up quite sporty (i.e. harsher), and had less room.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-116
    • View Profile
    • www.clownpenis.fart
  • Cars: 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS, 2021 VW Atlas R-Line
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 01:38:38 pm »
I sat in the new 328. I see they outsourced the idrive display to fisher price. Sure hope they used enough glue to attach it as it looks like an after thought. That plus, all the minimal design makes it feel, well cheap in kinda of expensive way. I sat in an A4 the other day and was shocked at the room it had in it compared to the 3series. Plus the A4 still can be had with an manual transmission with all wheels driven. Not that I am a big A4 fan. Neither of these classes are great used. One is too unreliable and the other attracts people who love the name but the lack regular maintenance makes finding a good one not that easy. I do love the motor, chasis, and gearbox in the 2 wheel drive 328 and apparently the Idrive menu/interface is now mature and beats all other in it's easy of use.

??? 2012 3 series is bigger than A4 in almost every dimension.