Author Topic: RUNNING IPIKE TIRE WITHOUT STUDS  (Read 7949 times)

canadianicon25

RUNNING IPIKE TIRE WITHOUT STUDS
« on: November 02, 2010, 08:39:53 pm »
I want to get some Hankook IPIKE snow tires but was wondering about running them un-studded.  I have read that these tires are indented to be studded so I want to know what they are a like without the studs.  Any feedback would be great!

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
Re: RUNNING IPIKE TIRE WITHOUT STUDS
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 08:50:18 pm »
No problems here, many cars in our fleet have them and they are great, a friend has them on both his cars and he swears by them.  Very good value for the money.  My new Juke will get those in 2 weeks.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 09:15:12 pm »
Hmmm....had them on my Echo and they are the most disappointing winter tires I've used yet....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline davidy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 09:30:42 pm »
CT has a 30% off sale on General Altimax Arctics....best deal of the year IMO. I believe that this sale ends Thursday, Nov 4th for most cities. The Arctics have a similar tread to the Hankook I*Pike W409 and are highly rated by Consumer Reports and Tire Rack.

A couple of weeks ago, I had a set of studded General Altimax Arctics installed. Noise isn't too bad as compared to a set of studded Arctic Claw TXI's on my other truck.

Dave
2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard spray on liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 09:54:26 pm »
Studding those tires will give them more grip on ice and snow (if they can dig down into the packed snow or ice under) but it'll make them less capable in the dry and wet. Think soccer shoes on turf and on hard surfaces. That said a lot of people run tires meant to have studs without them. I ran Gislaved 5s without studs in Toronto for 3 years and didn't have any problems. At times when I find a bit of ice I wish I have them but overall not a big issue.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 11:50:01 pm »
Which IPikes are you looking at?

I had a set of IPike RW07s (winter SUV tires) and thought they were extremely mediocre. They're studdable, but we ran them without studs and their winter performance was poor.

They're going in the trash next week and a proper set of Blizzak DM-V1s will be installed. Should have done that the first time, but oh well.

canadianicon25

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 08:33:57 pm »
i was looking at the RC01

195 65R15

Offline davidy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 08:46:41 pm »
CT has a 30% off sale on General Altimax Arctics....best deal of the year IMO. I believe that this sale ends Thursday, Nov 4th for most cities. The Arctics have a similar tread to the Hankook I*Pike W409 and are highly rated by Consumer Reports and Tire Rack.

A couple of weeks ago, I had a set of studded General Altimax Arctics installed. Noise isn't too bad as compared to a set of studded Arctic Claw TXI's on my other truck.

Dave

30% off sale extended another week...ends now on Thursday, Nov 11th.

Dave

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 09:45:05 pm »
Hmmm....had them on my Echo and they are the most disappointing winter tires I've used yet....

These here?...http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tiremodel=W409+Winter+i*Pike&tirebrand=Hankook

All I ever heard is good. :think:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 08:56:39 am »

These here?...http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tiremodel=W409+Winter+i*Pike&tirebrand=Hankook

All I ever heard is good. :think:

Any Snows on RR echo would be a diappointment
And this has to be RR echo , See the gold wheels ;D
http://bruneicompacttuner.blogspot.com/2010/04/nicely-done-toyota-echo.html