Author Topic: Honda Accord - How long will it last?  (Read 12243 times)

adalbert

Honda Accord - How long will it last?
« on: September 19, 2010, 11:22:09 pm »
I have a  4 cyl. 2002 Honda Accord with 190,000 km. highway miles.  Am deciding whether to trade it in or keep it for a few more years.  It runs like a top.  Has regular maintenance and had its first major maintenance at 115,000 kms. ie. belts including timing belt, fluid changes, etc. 

Three questions:

If this was a city driven car how many kms would it have on it to have the same wear and tear as a highway driven car which has 190.0 kms?

How many more kms does this car have left in it?

What should I expect as the next big expenditure other than the belts, etc. again in 25.0 km's?

Thank you.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Honda Accord - How long will it last?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 11:25:56 pm »
Every part fails simultaneously at 271,876.4km.  Now that you know that, drive the car with gusto until 300km prior to that reading, and then sell it.

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 12:06:45 am »
The collective experience of people I know seems to point to past about 280 to 300k km being the time you start counting down to past the point of worth paying for repairs.

Lots of cars the engine last well past 300k km but the rest of the car tends to be pretty bad by then. Also a lot of things like radiators starts going near to 300k km.

I think you can keep the car for a few more years but as more years and km piles on you'll find that 1) it gets annoying withe the problems and you might lose trust in the car 2) engines do lose power over time so near end of life it would have a hard time on the highway 3) it'll be worth very little by the time you sell it. My brother's 97 explorer still runs and it's nearing 300k km and all 3 points are valid for it, it has never had any major mech fault but ti struggles to get past 80 kph and trading in it's only worth like 500 bucks I think. The 3 points also applied for a friend's maxima and his old 98 accord that his brother got for a summer job beater at around 300k km. The accord ended up being used for another 3 years but over that time costed something like 7k to keep running (car costed 2k to buy, and IMHO they got ripped off really bad).

Also remember if passing emission is not possible past the emission related warranty you are looking at a pretty expensive bill typically to keep the car going.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 12:24:53 am by gotak »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 12:14:38 am »
How many more kms does this car have left in it?

When the odometer goes to 999999.9, then you'll know its had it.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 08:21:25 am »
Every part fails simultaneously at 271,876.4km.  Now that you know that, drive the car with gusto until 300km prior to that reading, and then sell it.

John, can i have this weeks lottery #'s too, OK?  thanks

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 08:43:55 am »
Asian cars are more reliable, less costly to maintain and repair, and longer lived than European and American ones typically achieving a 200,000 to 250,000 kilometer service life.There is solid evidence, however, the golden age of Japanese car reliability ended around MY 2000. The best are still made in Japan and have a JA to JT VIN prefix.

Honda/Acura is living off its positive 1980s and 1990s reputation as a powertrain innovator and quality leader. Recent models are odd looking, technologically uncompetitive and eat automatic transmissions, air conditioner compressors and audio equipment like hot dogs at a baseball game. Other defects include bad brake rotors, wheel bearings, oxygen sensors, power window servos and interior squeaks and rattles. Ungenerous warranty policies are killing its image for quality and integrity.

Toyota/Lexus really screwed the pooch. Millions of vehicles recalled for throttle malfunctions, faulty brakes, flawed steering, bad engines, broken transmissions and frame corrosion squandered its gold standard image for quality and integrity. Bad things happen to companies that chisel on quality. Almost every recent Lexus model has been recalled at least once. It recently lost the luxury car top-seller crown to BMW! Consumer Reports disrated it. It dropped from sixth to 21st place in the 2010 J.D. Power initial quality rankings. A subsequent Power survey put it at 32nd, second to last position just ahead of Jeep. U.S. market share is down to 16-percent from 17.5 notwithstanding saturation advertising and unprecedented price reductions. Resale values are falling. Toyota’s perceived quality advantage over rival carmakers is gone forever. Oh, what a feeling!

General Motors trumpeted a new commitment to quality and customer care saying it would increase its key parts Mechanical Mean Time to Failure (MTTF) from 130,000 to 160,000 kilometers coincident with a longer 160,000 kilometer 2007 warranty. The undertaking was short lived. GM quietly downgraded its 2010 warranty.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:55:21 am by Gardiner Westbound »
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 12:14:55 pm »
If this was a city driven car how many kms would it have on it to have the same wear and tear as a highway driven car which has 190.0 kms?

I heard that's like dog vs human years, so... 1,330,000 kms.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 12:31:04 pm »
Regardless of how much longer it may last there is no point in "trading it". If you decide you want anoter car and want to sell the Accord privtley fine but a 10 year old car with 200,000 on the Odometer (highway or not) is preactacily worthless to a dealer on trade. that sucker is going right to the auction.

I see thousands of total osses every year in my job and cars like your Accord people usually end up BEGGINg to get them fixed becuase they simply can't replace the car for what they are "worth" If you have a well mainted car (like you seem to) and know its history you are going to be shocked with how little its worth on the market.

We have a 99 Maxima with 150,000km on it and there is no way I could sell it and get anything close to the car interms of features reilability or confidence in the car. 

Sell it privatley or drive it till it breaks.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 01:09:23 pm »
A 2002 model with 190K is a worthless trade.  Seriously.  You'll end up giving the car away.  If you want to sell it, a private sale is the only way to go, and being an Accord, you'll do okay.

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 01:17:22 pm »
buying used people prefer buying cars under 200,000 km , in my opinion
except kids ,that have no choice , so i would sell now , not later

i agree with a previous post , both honda and toyota reached their zenith for reliability in the 90's , from 92 - to 96 for toyota was their most reliable models
then decontenting came around and quality went down starting in 97
usually car makers improved their cars , fixed the problems etc on the next generation as a rule , but toyota had some japanese word , that guided them , which meant they improved their cars every year back in 92-96 . but thats all in the past - toyotas quest to be no 1 - suffering from bigitis and being cheap ,cutting cost everywhere to make a buck has led them to where they are now with 8,000,000 cars recalled.

honda's went the cheap route too to maximize profits , it started in their civic line which was the last to sell out of their models in 2001 when they got rid of their double wishbone suspension for a cheaper system - the accord - 90 -93 had 6 things that could go wrong with it , by 1994 - 07 that number increased to 11
now honda and toyota will start paying the price of their cheap-itis , resting on their past rep for reliability is starting to come to an end , with ford and hyundai stomping behind them