Author Topic: Rental car thread  (Read 345015 times)

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
Re: Rental car thread
« Reply #560 on: September 17, 2014, 04:08:08 pm »
Interior pics

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 17, 2014, 04:24:04 pm »
Last couple of pics for now.

One thing I forgot to mention:

The Nav is terrific. I don't normally care for in-car Nav's, but this one is pretty much perfect. It was also in English, I was so excited, LOL. Last time we were in Germany, the Nav was in German. Last time I was in France, it was in French.

It is a modern Nav with fantastic directions. And we were happy because we ran into trouble with our internet data provider (World Sim - don't buy data from World Sim!), and so couldn't use Googlemaps in real time as planned. We have our old Garmin as a back-up but this Nav is 10 times better. I made a little video of it and the interior. I'll upload that on YouTube later on. (Hotel internet is slow, lol)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #562 on: September 17, 2014, 05:16:51 pm »
^^ Great pictures and impressions. Thanks!

Interestingly, I sat in a new GTI for the first time today while I was having the oil changed in mine. It does feel a bit bigger inside, and I love the shape and layout of the new dash, but I wasn't crazy about the shiny black trim everywhere. It looked kind of cheap and flashy (even tacky), IMO. It seems like the more basic models (like your rental) have a more restrained trim, which looks better, IMO.

Edit: actually, looking at your pics again, it seems like that car has shiny black trim, too? Just without the pattern on the GTI's trim. How do you like it? I think I prefer the matte black of the MKVI.

I did note that the steering wheel gives an unobstructed view of the gauge cluster, which is good. When I position the wheel of my MKVI where I want it, the top outside corners of the tach and speedo are cut off.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:06:14 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #563 on: September 17, 2014, 09:58:17 pm »
Nice pics Julie, and very detailed impressions.  I would probably be averaging, 115km-120km/h for better fuel economy, and go 140km/h just sometimes.  Gas is crazy there.  Looks like your having a great time.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 18, 2014, 03:12:52 pm »

Edit: actually, looking at your pics again, it seems like that car has shiny black trim, too? Just without the pattern on the GTI's trim. How do you like it? I think I prefer the matte black of the MKVI.

I did note that the steering wheel gives an unobstructed view of the gauge cluster, which is good. When I position the wheel of my MKVI where I want it, the top outside corners of the tach and speedo are cut off.

Funny you should mention you weren't that wow'd by the new GTI's interior. I felt the same thing the first time I sat in the new GTI at the Detroit. I actually preferred the interior of a lower cost trim at Detroit, called the SE (it's like a base version but with some sporty options), even though the GTI one appeared more expensive.

I like the piano black trim, but I also prefer it without the pattern as well.

I didn't notice any obstruction of the gauge cluster..... but I'm on the road again tomorrow, so will take another look. The new steering wheel feels thinner in its width (dimensions left to right), but is definitely thicker from front to back.

I would probably be averaging, 115km-120km/h for better fuel economy, and go 140km/h just sometimes.  Gas is crazy there.  Looks like your having a great time.

I couldn't help myself!  :D  Traffic seemed to flow in the middle lane at about that speed (130 km/hr). There were no tolls either :) (that might change in the future though - people might have to buy stickers like in Austria and Switzerland). Half a tank of diesel cost me about 37 EUR.  :P

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #565 on: October 10, 2014, 12:00:51 am »

Basically, show flexibility, book the smallest car possible, and if it is a local branch, know where the primary source of renters come from (is it retail? dealers and body shops?). Avoid one way rentals (a lot of hassles with one ways because the other branch will go through you car with a fine tooth comb, which could mean you get dinged with damages), and if you are a frequent renter at a particular location, keep the car clean so you can build up goodwill, and get to know the people at the branch, especially the branch manager and assistant manager (more apt to upgrade you if you know you are a good renter).

I can elaborate on any of these points if you want.

Does your advice differ for renting from an airport location?  I'm flying to Phoenix next month and will get a car at the airport.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #566 on: October 10, 2014, 01:59:54 am »
Airport rentals have a zillion surcharges particularly in the southwest.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #567 on: October 10, 2014, 09:51:28 am »

You got that right.  Here's the list of surcharges and taxes added to an Economy rental at Sky Harbor in Phoenix.  They add over 51% to the cost.  Needless to say, if a Phoenix-based friend can pick me up at the airport, I rent off-site.

1 Week @  $ 282.30 USD                          $ 282.30 USD
Drop Charge                                              $ 0.00 USD
CUSTOMER FACILITY CHARGE 6.00/DAY    $ 42.00 USD
MAINTENANCE FEE 0.70/DAY                     $ 4.90 USD
CONCESSION RECOVERY FEE 11.11PCT    $ 31.91 USD
VEHICLE LICENSE SURCHARGE 5 PCT           $ 18.06 USD
STADIUM SURCHARGE                           $ 11.74 USD
TRANS PRIV TAX                                  $ 37.19 USD
* Total Charges:                                $ 428.10 USD

Economy car from a Mesa location.
1 Week @  $ 149.99 USD                         $ 149.99 USD
Subtotal    $ 149.99 USD
VEHICLE LICENSE TAX                            $ 7.50 USD
SPRING TRAINING CACTUS LG TAX            $ 4.87 USD
SALES TAX                                         $ 12.07 USD
* Total Charges:                               $ 174.43 USD
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 09:54:49 am by Winklovic »

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #568 on: October 10, 2014, 10:56:26 am »

You got that right.  Here's the list of surcharges and taxes added to an Economy rental at Sky Harbor in Phoenix.  They add over 51% to the cost.  Needless to say, if a Phoenix-based friend can pick me up at the airport, I rent off-site.

1 Week @  $ 282.30 USD                          $ 282.30 USD
Drop Charge                                              $ 0.00 USD
CUSTOMER FACILITY CHARGE 6.00/DAY    $ 42.00 USD
MAINTENANCE FEE 0.70/DAY                     $ 4.90 USD
CONCESSION RECOVERY FEE 11.11PCT    $ 31.91 USD
VEHICLE LICENSE SURCHARGE 5 PCT           $ 18.06 USD
STADIUM SURCHARGE                           $ 11.74 USD
TRANS PRIV TAX                                  $ 37.19 USD
* Total Charges:                                $ 428.10 USD

Economy car from a Mesa location.
1 Week @  $ 149.99 USD                         $ 149.99 USD
Subtotal    $ 149.99 USD
VEHICLE LICENSE TAX                            $ 7.50 USD
SPRING TRAINING CACTUS LG TAX            $ 4.87 USD
SALES TAX                                         $ 12.07 USD
* Total Charges:                               $ 174.43 USD
Wink, are those estimates from the same rental agency? I might start doing that myself at CTC South. We are down next week for 10 days and I have a Std. Size SUV at Budget at the airport for $394 Tax in CAD. Best I could find.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #569 on: October 10, 2014, 11:32:11 am »

Wink, are those estimates from the same rental agency? I might start doing that myself at CTC South. We are down next week for 10 days and I have a Std. Size SUV at Budget at the airport for $394 Tax in CAD. Best I could find.
Railton

Yes, same agency: Enterprise.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #570 on: October 10, 2014, 12:43:11 pm »

Railton

Hmmm...isn't in Enterprise that advertises "We'll pick you up." ??? ;D
Railton

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #571 on: October 10, 2014, 01:03:18 pm »

Railton

Hmmm...isn't in Enterprise that advertises "We'll pick you up." ??? ;D
Railton

Maybe I'll have the Mesa office pick me up at the airport.   ;D

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #572 on: October 21, 2014, 11:11:54 pm »

Basically, show flexibility, book the smallest car possible, and if it is a local branch, know where the primary source of renters come from (is it retail? dealers and body shops?). Avoid one way rentals (a lot of hassles with one ways because the other branch will go through you car with a fine tooth comb, which could mean you get dinged with damages), and if you are a frequent renter at a particular location, keep the car clean so you can build up goodwill, and get to know the people at the branch, especially the branch manager and assistant manager (more apt to upgrade you if you know you are a good renter).

Does your advice differ for renting from an airport location?  I'm flying to Phoenix next month and will get a car at the airport.

Avoid airport rentals if possible, especially if the rental lasts for a week or more. It is cheaper to either take transit or get a cab from the airport to an offsite rental car branch, and pick up your car and drop it off there. If you have a party, have your party wait at the airport while you pick up the car and drive it to the airport and load up at the loading zone or at the parkade, and when dropping your car off, go to the airport first to let your party off and unload then head to the branch to drop off, and either take transit to the airport, or have the branch call for a cab to pick you up.

FYI, there is an Enterprise Rent A Car located less than 15 minutes drive either airports in Phoenix. Take advantage of that.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #573 on: October 21, 2014, 11:25:55 pm »
If you have a party, have your party wait at the airport while you pick up the car and drive it to the airport and load up at the loading zone or at the parkade

Obviously never been to LAX or KENNEDY or a zillion other airports or landed at 11:00 pm or take off @ 7:00 am.  :rofl2:

Airport rentals are a case by case thing.  Important is to reserve months in advance which can cut the cost in half and do shop between providers.  Budget, Thrifty and Alamo seem to battle it out for the low hanging fruit in the USA.  Canada is hopeless as usual.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #574 on: October 21, 2014, 11:33:58 pm »
My dad has rented for $13 on a saturday from YYZ before with relatively short notice... so it all depends.

If you're a costco member you can get an exclusive AVIS/Budget rate as well... and for any board members under 25, there's no age surcharge either. Combined with a few coupon codes, the rental is quite cheap

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #575 on: October 22, 2014, 07:28:23 am »

Avoid airport rentals if possible, especially if the rental lasts for a week or more. It is cheaper to either take transit or get a cab from the airport to an offsite rental car branch, and pick up your car and drop it off there. If you have a party, have your party wait at the airport while you pick up the car and drive it to the airport and load up at the loading zone or at the parkade, and when dropping your car off, go to the airport first to let your party off and unload then head to the branch to drop off, and either take transit to the airport, or have the branch call for a cab to pick you up.

FYI, there is an Enterprise Rent A Car located less than 15 minutes drive either airports in Phoenix. Take advantage of that.

I'll be taking a taxi from the airport (about $40) and picking up the rental near my hotel. I'm saving over $200 by doing this.  Cost is $152US, incl taxes, for a compact from Hertz.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Rental car thread
« Reply #576 on: October 22, 2014, 06:38:40 pm »
The rental for ten days in Ft. Myers is a Ford Explorer Limited. Rented two months ago for a special Costco price of $394 CAD at the airport. That is a good deal for a Std size SUV at Budget. Pre paid it as well for another $50 off.
Impressions- good size, lots of room, Sync is OK to work. Leather seats are nothing special, no place to rest my arm on the door panel when driving. Third row seating Kate likes but not very handy getting back there.
See a lot if them on the road down here.
Railton

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #577 on: October 22, 2014, 07:46:17 pm »
The rental for ten days in Ft. Myers is a Ford Explorer Limited.

Looks pretty snappy in white.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 22, 2014, 11:03:53 pm »
Besides the Taurus, the OPP are now using the Exploder in OPP BLACK.  :P    It appears that the OPP are ditching the Tahoe, presumably over cost.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #579 on: October 23, 2014, 09:48:30 pm »
Besides the Taurus, the OPP are now using the Exploder in OPP BLACK.  :P    It appears that the OPP are ditching the Tahoe, presumably over cost.

Like buying new cost?  Around the Explorer has been by the OPP, ever since Ford made a police version, around 2 years IIRC.  I see them pulling people over for using the HOV lanes when they aren't supposed to.  A huge SUV, pulling over a compact with a single driver, yeah makes sense to me...