Author Topic: Countdown to Nissan's second generation electric car. The 200 mile LEAF is here.  (Read 226823 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Countdown to Nissan's first Electric Car. The LEAF is finally here.
« Reply #400 on: July 23, 2014, 07:12:13 pm »
"like" I hope.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 23, 2014, 10:31:28 pm »
Why does Smart Electric never included all the charges with getting electric
7.5 cents is only 42% of the bill

I pay $0.13/kWh to charge my car on off peak. The off peak overnight rate is $0.075, then add the various other fees to come up to $0.13/kWh which is almost double that.  You are suggesting triple which I cannot verify.   
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:18:44 pm by Smart Electric »

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 23, 2014, 10:33:43 pm »
the difference is $9,000. At current rates, that buys what....several thousand liters of fuel?  Divide that by the car drinking about 6L/100km...and you'd have to drive a very long way before you break even on the EV version.

I would never have considered ANY gas car for my commute now that electric cars are available to consumers.  Therefore, I rightfully compare my Smart ED to my previous car, which was 12L/100km for the same commute.

Even without incentives, I am ahead.  I've posted the math here multiple times.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 23, 2014, 10:35:00 pm »
the difference is $9,000. At current rates, that buys what....several thousand liters of fuel?  Divide that by the car drinking about 6L/100km...and you'd have to drive a very long way before you break even on the EV version.

I would never have considered ANY gas car for my commute now that electric cars are available to consumers.  Therefore, I rightfully compare my Smart ED to my previous car, which was 12L/100km for the same commute.

Yea...well unique situation.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #404 on: July 23, 2014, 10:40:27 pm »
Exclude the gov rebate and it really makes no sense.... yet.  Waiting for it to though.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #405 on: July 24, 2014, 06:58:20 am »

I pay $0.13/kWh to charge my car on off peak. The off peak overnight rate is $0.075, then add the various other fees to come up to $0.13/kWh which is almost double that.  You are suggesting triple which I cannot verify.  I don't know why you pay more than I do, or perhaps you just claim to...
I guess you do not like pie charts   :(

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #406 on: July 24, 2014, 10:49:31 am »

"Rightfully compare" to your previous car?  ::)  That makes your evidence anecdotal at best and useless at worst as it compares apples to oranges.

It also - therefore - misses the point.  Ron is absolutely correct in comparing the normal "gas" version of a given car to its alternative form (EV, hybrid, diesel, ...).  If one is shopping for a new car and is presented with the two alternatives, the careful shopper will look at both the initial costs and those down the road (pun unintended).  If it costs more just to get in the door of the alternative form than it provides in savings in operating costs, then why would it be chosen?  If it is for moral, social or political reasons, fine; just let's be honest about it.

As to your math, well, I cannot comment on Ontario costs; I live in Quebec with a completely different cost base.  I can only advise you to check to see if rates differ in other regions of Ontario to see if the numbers hold up.

Finally:  The implication that people here are lying to you without any proof on your part, is provocative and uncalled for, to say the least.  See your recent reply to airbalancer as evidence.

Regardless of the above, you seem happy with your choice and that is good.  Just try to be nice about it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 11:20:28 am by random006 »
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 24, 2014, 01:24:57 pm »

I pay $0.13/kWh to charge my car on off peak. The off peak overnight rate is $0.075, then add the various other fees to come up to $0.13/kWh which is almost double that.  You are suggesting triple which I cannot verify.  I don't know why you pay more than I do, or perhaps you just claim to...

Did you included your Bullfrog fee of 2.5 cents /kWh?
Toronto hydro rates
http://www.torontohydro.com/sites/electricsystem/residential/yourbilloverview/Pages/ElectricityRates.aspx

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 24, 2014, 06:26:37 pm »

Sweet chart, glad you posted it.  It shows that distributed solar would be an advantageous technology to promote in Ontario where the distribution charges are such a large percentage of the bill.  There is 1GW of distributed solar expected to go online over the next few years, about 200MW of that is already available.  I believe this is a good thing, and should help reduce the amount spent over time to maintain the massive distribution network we have built to support the central power production model used so effectively up to now.

I've reviewed my bill and the calculations show a cost of $0.13 for my overnight charging.

The chart shows the rate is %42 of the total cost, and that delivery and other charges add up to the remaining %58.
This would lead to $0.16 being the cost, but like I said, I can't verify that on my bill.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 24, 2014, 06:31:56 pm »
  Ron is absolutely correct in comparing the normal "gas" version of a given car to its alternative form (EV, hybrid, diesel, ...).  If one is shopping for a new car and is presented with the two alternatives, the careful shopper will look at both the initial costs and those down the road (pun unintended).   

I've already posted on that exact topic months ago, here is my blog entry on the exchange:
http://mysmartelectricdrive.blogspot.ca/2014/05/micra-shmicra.html

you seem happy with your choice and that is good.  Just try to be nice about it.

Yes, my mistake.  Edited my post.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #410 on: July 25, 2014, 09:52:40 pm »

Sweet chart, glad you posted it.  It shows that distributed solar would be an advantageous technology to promote in Ontario where the distribution charges are such a large percentage of the bill.  There is 1GW of distributed solar expected to go online over the next few years, about 200MW of that is already available.  I believe this is a good thing, and should help reduce the amount spent over time to maintain the massive distribution network we have built to support the central power production model used so effectively up to now.

I've reviewed my bill and the calculations show a cost of $0.13 for my overnight charging.

The chart shows the rate is %42 of the total cost, and that delivery and other charges add up to the remaining %58.
This would lead to $0.16 being the cost, but like I said, I can't verify that on my bill.

Your math seems to be not adding up, both in your electric rates and in comparing a Smart EV to a car that burns 12l/100km. 
Try to look at least a little unbiased in your views if you want anyone to think your numbers have any value.
Mr Pickypants

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #411 on: July 25, 2014, 09:58:44 pm »
LOL who would of thought a tiny smart car takes less energy to move than a 6000lb truck.

I average 12 in my LX.  Can the smart EV tow a 7000lb trailer?  If so I'm in. ;)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 25, 2014, 10:10:05 pm »
You would think he would trade the GLK for something like a Prius V

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 25, 2014, 10:23:55 pm »
You would think he would trade the GLK for something like a Prius V

No, the GLK is a temporary vehicle until the Tesla Model X is available widely.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #414 on: September 21, 2014, 10:57:06 pm »
Not really the freshest news, but this IMO indicates that Nissan has big plans to be relevant in the future 200 mile EV segment:
http://www.torquenews.com/2250/nissan-may-outsource-batteries-lg-chem-what-does-it-mean-leaf
In other news, LG Chem has patented a 48v Li-ion automotive battery, supposedly for cars with auto start-stop systems. Surely it must be a better fit for such cars in traffic jams, where they wear out the Lead batteries as soon as 1.5 years.
I'd like to get one of those (48V) units from the local wrecker some day  :P
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 03, 2014, 04:14:47 pm »
http://cleantechnica.com/2014/10/30/nissan-leaf-sets-new-annual-us-ev-sales-record-yet/
Big increase in Leaf sales in 2014. (The US sales, the ones that count that is ;) )

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 04, 2014, 09:34:28 am »
Nice parking lot at 2:08 min
www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2tYC8PlbVc

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #418 on: November 25, 2014, 08:55:47 pm »
Well that's an improvement.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 01, 2014, 08:05:40 pm »
In Japan, the Alliance’s second-biggest EV market, there are more than 2,900 quick chargers in operation. Nissan and Japan’s three other top automakers have pledged to work together to raise that number to 6,000 by March 2015

http://www.media.blog.alliance-renault-nissan.com/news/renault-nissan-alliance-sells-its-200000th-electric-vehicle/

Based on typically low mileage of used JDM cars it is safe to assume ppl have short daily commutes, and that's where current EVs shine. Combine that with expensive (compared to NA) gasoline and it's no wonder they will likely keep each of those 6000 quick chargers busy.