Author Topic: Electric Windows  (Read 2447 times)

bakerone

Electric Windows
« on: June 30, 2009, 05:37:06 pm »
I have a 2001 Dodge Caravan and the friggin window will not go up , I replaced the control on the passenger side and to no avail, I replaced the motor on the passenger side to no avail, replaced the friggin control on the drivers side all to no avail can siomeone please steer me , no I can't afford a new car..............HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
Re: Electric Windows
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 08:48:31 pm »
Have you been doing these repairs yourself? If you have, try going to a mechanic to diagnose it.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 10:42:18 pm »
Sometimes you can reduce the cost of troubleshooting by swapping known-good components from another door.  I say "sometimes" because often the parts from front doors won't work in the back, or one side to the other, or the driver door controls are different.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 10:47:40 pm »
Did you actually remove the doorskin at all and see if the window fell off the track??
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

weebl

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 11:06:36 am »
There's just so many possibilities with what could go wrong.

If you're mechanically inclined, start by systematically ruling out possibilities starting with the easiest and working up to the hardest.  (Like making sure fuses aren't blown).

If not, time for a mechanic to check it out.  Simply say what's not working, and don't say that you think it is some specific thing wrong, or they may focus on the wrong area.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 11:44:31 am »
Did you actually remove the doorskin at all and see if the window fell off the track??

Wouldn't you have to to replace the motor as he has done?  No idea, just a guess.

With all the electronics tied into everything on modern cars, this could be a nightmare.  I don't even bother, I just take it to a mechanic or dealer.  On the Pathfinder, the wiring diagram shows the window controls are tied into the security system and computer, maybe the same idea on the Dodge?  Hopefully its not the main ECM!
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Honda Owner

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 01:12:36 am »
At that age, it needs a motor/regulator unit. Common failure on Caravans, about $320 parts and labour.

And yes, all electrics are controlled by the Body Control Module, also a common failure on Caravans of this age. The BCM failure starts causing the wipers to go one and off when they feel like it. It never affects windows.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 01:42:47 pm »
C'mon don't be so CRANKY................funnily enuf my wind Ups on the Ranger are working fine..............AS ARE the the electric windaes on the '67 Elan.....when i hook up a bettery..............GO FIGURE........... :think:..must be ma clean living and giving to charitable wimmen...... 8) 8) 8)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

gogo002

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 02:40:27 am »
maybe you should leave it alone, and should not  bother it at first