Author Topic: TESLA Model S  (Read 310928 times)

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
Re: Re: TESLA Model S
« Reply #220 on: July 03, 2014, 09:48:59 pm »

the 85kw model is 55% NA content. That puts it under 62.5% needed. Also, many parts are from OEMs such as Mercedes i.e. steering, suspension, displays etc. It's not just the batteries.

Very interesting, thanks for the details!

My Smart ED was made overseas, in a factory located 25 km from where my European ancestors originated.  It's the only foreign made car I've ever owned.  My wife's Mercedes is her second foreign made car. 

Before that I had a 30 year run of cars made by Ford or GM.

Ford Tempo 
Chevy Beretta GTZ QUAD4HO 
Chevy Z28 
Ford Contour with 24V DOHC 
Ford Taurus with 24V DOHC (manual transmission wasn't offered)
Ford Focus

My Smart is just my second car without a manual transmission.  It's not offered on an electric.   ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Stolen Tesla in High Speed Chase Split in TWO!
« Reply #221 on: July 06, 2014, 07:31:44 am »
WOW!! Is this the first high speed chase involving an EV I wonder? THe car split in 2 and caught fire..with one half of the car becoming wedged into a synagogue!

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Stolen-Tesla-High-Speed-Chase-Fiery-Crash-in-West-Hollywood-265813821.html

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
Re: Stolen Tesla in High Speed Chase Split in TWO!
« Reply #222 on: July 09, 2014, 07:21:55 pm »
WOW!! Is this the first high speed chase involving an EV I wonder? THe car split in 2 and caught fire..with one half of the car becoming wedged into a synagogue!

I am sorry about the critical injuries and damage suffered, but I can't help thinking this looks like a scene from a transformers movie...yikes!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: TESLA Model S
« Reply #223 on: July 09, 2014, 09:53:14 pm »
Do they have to chase? :censor: like this happens way too often and innocent people suffer. Why not shut the car down remotely or with all the surveillance cams just look for it later?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #224 on: July 10, 2014, 12:41:40 am »
Do they have to chase? :censor: like this happens way too often and innocent people suffer. Why not shut the car down remotely or with all the surveillance cams just look for it later?

Kind of surprised that a cutting edge car like the Tesla didn't have that capability. Maybe a shutdown would have to be requested by the cops and they didn't know about it.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: July 11, 2014, 01:09:23 pm »

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #226 on: July 11, 2014, 03:19:10 pm »

The news report says the cops gave up the chase a few minutes earlier, because the cops crashed their own car and wrecked it.
Mr Pickypants

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 21, 2014, 10:48:58 am »
I've heard Tesla is installing a super charger in the 'hood, before the end on summer. Presumably in Scarborough. Anyone know the exact location?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #228 on: July 21, 2014, 12:54:42 pm »
I've heard Tesla is installing a super charger in the 'hood, before the end on summer. Presumably in Scarborough. Anyone know the exact location?

Scarborough , get out town, maybe at Port Union rd, so you can have a full charge before driving though Scarborough  ;D

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 31, 2014, 12:14:27 am »

I wouldn't personally mess up with something already good, but I like what they did there.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 31, 2014, 01:04:29 am »
Edmunds had quite a few issues with their Tesla...28 "service campaigns" that were not part of the regular maintenance.  Go here to see the long list:

http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-s/2013/long-term-road-test/wrap-up.html

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 31, 2014, 05:23:57 pm »
^^^ Upcharge for a Dolby Pro Logic? Hope the deck has an auto FF>>  :P

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: TESLA Model S - Gigafactory: Panasonic in charge of cell making
« Reply #232 on: July 31, 2014, 06:41:15 pm »
Panasonic and Tesla Sign Agreement for the Gigafactory
Thursday, July 31, 2014

OSAKA, Japan / PALO ALTO, USA, July 31, 2014 – Panasonic Corporation and Tesla Motors, Inc. have signed an agreement that lays out their cooperation on the construction of a large-scale battery manufacturing plant in the United States, known as the Gigafactory.

According to the agreement, Tesla will prepare, provide and manage the land, buildings and utilities. Panasonic will manufacture and supply cylindrical lithium-ion cells and invest in the associated equipment, machinery, and other manufacturing tools based on their mutual approval. A network of supplier partners is planned to produce the required precursor materials. Tesla will take the cells and other components to assemble battery modules and packs. To meet the projected demand for cells, Tesla will continue to purchase battery cells produced in Panasonic's factories in Japan. Tesla and Panasonic will continue to discuss the details of implementation including sales, operations and investment.

The Gigafactory is being created to enable a continuous reduction in the cost of long range battery packs in parallel with manufacturing at the volumes required to enable Tesla to meet its goal of advancing mass market electric vehicles. The Gigafactory will be managed by Tesla with Panasonic joining as the principle partner responsible for lithium-ion battery cells and occupying approximately half of the planned manufacturing space; key suppliers combined with Tesla's module and pack assembly will comprise the other half of this fully integrated industrial complex.

JB Straubel, Chief Technical Officer and Co-founder of Tesla Motors said: "the Gigafactory represents a fundamental change in the way large scale battery production can be realized. Not only does the Gigafactory enable capacity needed for the Model 3 but it sets the path for a dramatic reduction in the cost of energy storage across a broad range of applications."

Yoshihiko Yamada, Executive Vice President of Panasonic, added, "We have already engaged in various collaborative projects with Tesla toward the popularization of electric vehicles. Panasonic's lithium-ion battery cells combine the required features for electric vehicles such as high capacity, durability and cost performance. And I believe that once we are able to manufacture lithium-ion battery cells at the Gigafactory, we will be able to accelerate the expansion of the electric vehicle market."

Cost reductions will be achieved through optimized manufacturing processes driven by economies of scale previously unobtainable in battery cell and pack production. Further price reductions are achieved by manufacturing cells that have been optimized for electric vehicle design, both in size and function, by co-locating suppliers on-site to eliminate packaging, transportation & duty costs and inventory carrying costs, and by manufacturing at a location with lower utility and operating expenses.

The Gigafactory will produce cells, modules and packs for Tesla's electric vehicles and for the stationary storage market. The Gigafactory is planned to produce 35GWh of cells and 50GWh of packs per year by 2020. Tesla projects that the Gigafactory will employ about 6,500 people by 2020.

Panasonic
http://panasonic.net/

Tesla Motors
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog-and-press-releases

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 14, 2014, 10:57:15 am »
So what's wrong with the Tesla (Model S)? Wait to hear how the door handles got fixed  ;D
I wonder if they offer the same level of service in Canada...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTd9iNNLy7k

Northernridge

« Reply #234 on: August 14, 2014, 04:49:12 pm »
I finally saw the charcoal Tesla today that's been lurking around downtown Winnipeg. I had a good look at it (it was parked) and I have to say that I'm a little disappointed in how it looks in real life. It's not at all ugly, actually it's attractive but if it wasn't for the drivetrain, it would be relatively unremarkable given it's price. In profile it reminds me the Kia Optima however, the Tesla would look better with the actual Optima skin over it. The wheels are unremarkable and the shiny plastic smooth grill bulge looks downright cheap. Door handles are cool and car is best viewed from behind. I know, I know, not aloud to criticize the Tesla and it is nice just not OMG-a-Tesla! nice.

Would I consider one? Yes, but not for it's looks.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #235 on: August 14, 2014, 10:50:53 pm »
Was it a base model?  The ones around here are pretty slick looking. 

Looks on par with a 5 series imo.

Northernridge

« Reply #236 on: August 14, 2014, 10:55:00 pm »
Dunno. The colour wasn't doing it any favours being charcoal. Again, it wasn't bad at all just not really wow for me. Still I love the company story, that you can order them online and the technology.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: TESLA Model S - 8 year unlimited mile drive unit warranty
« Reply #237 on: August 16, 2014, 07:21:03 pm »
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/infinite-mile-warranty

Compare that to the typically longest for ICE 100k mile powertrain warranty. Retroactive??? Not sure if a commie a nut or a genius  ;)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 23, 2014, 12:54:01 pm »
Big capacity hike may be coming to commercial li-ion cells. 4x is a huge increase. It could lead to EV makers sticking to more practical 200mile+ range but significantly reducing the weight and cost of the battery packs.
http://www.graphene-info.com/tesla-developing-graphene-enhanced-li-ion-battery

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #239 on: August 23, 2014, 01:23:01 pm »
The scarcity of rare earth metals will be the limiting factor to growth. Lowering production costs is a short term solution and eventually costs will go up as REM become more expensive due to supply. China holds all the cards in REM production and export so good luck.