Author Topic: used car for $7-10k domestic?  (Read 9621 times)

Lexusfreak

Re: used car for $7-10k domestic?
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 12:37:33 am »
Many recent GM brands have also offered a 5 year / 160,000 km Powertrain warranty.  But their mainstream brands are still 3 years / 60,000 km's BTB.

Buick, Cadillac & I think Saab offer 4 year / 80,000 Km BTB though.

:cheers:

barrie1

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 12:04:25 am »
You could probably pick up a used Caddy for this kind of money with the 4.9, 4.5 engine in it which gives excellent fuel milage. Some of the older Fleetwoods are rear wheel drive and came with the Olds 307 in them which also gave very good fuel milage as well. They were a large car tho but had plenty of room and comfort in them. Most of the 4.9's were fwd but excellent drivers. I have owned at one time all of these engines and still do 3 of them. A 4.1,4.9 and now currently the 4.6 Northstar with 300Hp as my dailey driver. Even my 4.1 which is a 1984 Seville runs as good as a new one and has well over 300,000 klms on it.  :)

Honda Owner

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 12:46:50 am »
You could probably pick up a used Caddy

They are money pits. Unless you can wrench on them yourself, you'll spend lots.

barrie1

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 01:49:16 am »
They are No different then any other makes if you know what you are doing with them.  I don't spend any extra time owning this brand then I have with others on maintenance or upkeep as they do last longer then many other brands. They are a better built car and thats a fact.  :)

Honda Owner

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 01:52:22 am »
They are a better built car and thats (sic) a fact.  Smiley

Better built than, for example Barrie, a Lexus LS460? Do you really have anything to compare to?

barrie1

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 10:41:38 pm »
I have had enough Caddies over the years to know a well built car from a pile of junk as well. If you had much experience with this brand you would know this yourself. I have owned Import vehilces before and had basically no luck and only high expensive parts repairs with them. This includes a Morris Minor,Jagaur XJ12L and one Honda which was not good at all to me. For me the GM product line has always been very faithful and fairly cheap to maintain and drive as well while the Fords,Chrylser products and even the Stubaker I once owned were not at all. Had to put a Chevy small block under the hood of the Jag to make it a dailey driver and it was better then the V12 by miles. Much more power and fuel milage included by doing it.  :)

Honda Owner

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2009, 11:13:35 pm »
Morris Minor,Jagaur [sic] XJ12L

Ah, well, these are fine products to compare to a Lexus LS460.

A ten year old Cadillac is certainly better than a Morris Minor, which went out of production in 1971, or a Jaguar  XJ12L, which is about the worst car ever built. Ergo, said Cadillac is a better car than a Lexus.

Fine comparisons indeed. I have always admired such impeccable logic.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 12:22:32 am by Honda Owner »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2009, 11:52:56 pm »
Morris Minor,Jagaur 9sic0 XJ12L

A ten year old Cadillac is certainly better than a Morris Minor, which went out of production in 1971, or a Jaguar  XJ12L, which is about the worst car ever built. Ergo, said Cadillac is a better car than a Lexus.

Fine comparisons indeed. I have always admired such impeccable logic.

You sayin' a Morris Minor is poorly built?!?

I challenge thee to a duel!  :stick: :bounce: :run: :foil:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2009, 06:31:31 pm »
I have had enough Caddies over the years to know a well built car from a pile of junk as well. If you had much experience with this brand you would know this yourself. I have owned Import vehilces before and had basically no luck and only high expensive parts repairs with them. This includes a Morris Minor,Jagaur XJ12L and one Honda which was not good at all to me. For me the GM product line has always been very faithful and fairly cheap to maintain and drive as well while the Fords,Chrylser products and even the Stubaker I once owned were not at all. Had to put a Chevy small block under the hood of the Jag to make it a dailey driver and it was better then the V12 by miles. Much more power and fuel milage included by doing it.  :)

You are absolutely insane, on drugs and swilling alcohol in copious amounts if you think a Caddie is "the same" reliability wise as other cars, especially Lexus' LS line.

The Lexus LS line has won JD Powers Long-Term Reliability Study (not the somewhat meaningless "Initial Quality" one..which is has won 10 years straight) for 13 years straight.  That's the most for any manufacturer ever.  JD Powers even once said the only car more reliable than a 5 year old LS is...a brand new LS.  Consumer Reports said the Lexus LS was the most reliable car EVER.  Further, it has been built in the ONLY Platinum rated car plant in the world.

All cars are not created equal......(even if your delusions and imaginary friends say otherwise...:) )

But this is getting a bit off topic.....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 06:35:07 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

barrie1

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2009, 06:44:20 pm »
Pretty sad when you have to scrape the barrel by saying such things regarding my use of alcohol and or drugs as boy you are really clueless on that topic completley. Have another toke Rrocket If thats the best reason you can come up with to defend your view then maybe you better rethink your answer as thats not cutting any ice at all. I'll take my Caddies anyday over the Lexus as even the parts are much cheaper to begin with and unless you have experience driving the Caddy brand dailey for years then maybe you should say No more as you are just blowing smoke. Just how much have you had to drink or smoke to come up with that answer as You must feel no-body else can ever be right unless you say so. I have had 4 Caddies in the last 25 years or so and do know how reliable they really are. Still own 3 of them and my oldest still has the original starter and alt in it after owning it since 1985.  Have you had your Lexus that long?  :( :( :( :(

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2009, 06:54:13 pm »
Pretty sad when you have to scrape the barrel by saying such things regarding my use of alcohol and or drugs as boy you are really clueless on that topic completley. Have another toke Rrocket If thats the best reason you can come up with to defend your view then maybe you better rethink your answer as thats not cutting any ice at all. I'll take my Caddies anyday over the Lexus as even the parts are much cheaper to begin with and unless you have experience driving the Caddy brand dailey for years then maybe you should say No more as you are just blowing smoke. Just how much have you had to drink or smoke to come up with that answer as You must feel no-body else can ever be right unless you say so. I have had 4 Caddies in the last 25 years or so and do know how reliable they really are. Still own 3 of them and my oldest still has the original starter and alt in it after owning it since 1985.  Have you had your Lexus that long?  :( :( :( :(

I'm not saying your Caddies aren't reliable.  I'm disputing your comment that Caddies are as reliable as any other car, and that's simply NOT TRUE. This is a fact backed up by years of dependability studies by Consumers Reports, JD Power, etc.....

I can't say how much a part has ever cost on my Lexus' since THEY'VE NEVER NEEDED A PART!!! :)

I DID voluntarily change my shocks on my Lexus GS400 to high performance ones from the Lexus L-Tuned catalog.  And they were cheaper than the recently quoted shocks for Trish's Alero....LOL...... So although I can't compare to Cadillac, I can compare prices to an Alero.  And the Alero was more  :)   

Honda Owner

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2009, 07:21:00 pm »
Well, if I have the choice of cheap parts or not having to replace any......

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2009, 10:14:12 pm »

I consider that a cheap troll comment...well there goes another thread...

Here's an '03 Buick Park Ave...supercharged dude!  92,000 km...$12,000.  Hope this link works (my autotrader ones don't seem to work too well)

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=76728&adid=7432938

Honda Owner

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2009, 10:23:00 pm »

Here's an '03 Buick Park Ave...supercharged dude!  92,000 km...$12,000. 

These cars are what GM does best. I would drive one if I got a screaming deal on it. I would not, however, want to pay the gasoline bills for the type of driving I do.

For several years, my daily driver was a 1978 Buick LeSabre Custom Brougham. It was loaded with everything but sunroof (thank god, they leak). It was a trade at my store and had 67,000 km on it when I got it. It was a great car, Buick 350 and heavy duty suspension. Unfortunately, it had a gasoline habit I just could not keep up. Great road trips when my kids were little and the a/c blew ice cold.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2009, 09:47:53 am »
These cars are what GM does best. I would drive one if I got a screaming deal on it. I would not, however, want to pay the gasoline bills for the type of driving I do.

According to my Toronto Autoshow Carguide (2005) this car in supercharged format gives 8.2 L/100 highway...equivalent to a Mazda6 V6.

The non-supercharged version uses only 7.3 L/100.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2009, 11:36:43 am »

Here's an '03 Buick Park Ave...supercharged dude!  92,000 km...$12,000. 

They allow cars on the golf course where you play?  :)

Honda Owner

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2009, 12:24:26 pm »
They allow cars on the golf course where you play?

Actually, my golf club has a no cart rule. The snow is gone here and the links dried out. I have an 11:00 am tee off and I will get some skiing in after that. Should be early to bed tonight!  ;D

redsun_ty

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2009, 03:33:13 pm »
I am driving Pontiac G6 atm but will be selling it in couple months if you are interested.

UZZ30_Driver

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2009, 10:08:01 pm »
I'll take my Caddies anyday over the Lexus as even the parts are much cheaper to begin with and unless you have experience driving the Caddy brand dailey for years then maybe you should say No more as you are just blowing smoke. Just how much have you had to drink or smoke to come up with that answer as You must feel no-body else can ever be right unless you say so. I have had 4 Caddies in the last 25 years or so and do know how reliable they really are. Still own 3 of them and my oldest still has the original starter and alt in it after owning it since 1985.  Have you had your Lexus that long?

Well, where to start?

Years ago, my father purchased a 1993 STS for my mom as a daily driver. He had owned a Fleetwood and Sedan Deville previously, which were certainly decent and respectable cars for their time. The STS was a big car for Cadillac, and the Northstar had great power and made wonderful sounds. It had a few very minor issues (that fancy brake light likes to burn out) that were dealt with at the dealer and ran trouble free with regular fluid changes. After a good experience with that car, we replaced it with the 1998 STS, first year of the newer generation. The thing was in for service all the time. It was one of the oil-burning Northstar cars with the problematic piston rings at a time before the problem was well-known.

"NORTHSTAR V8 (4.6L) OIL CONSUMPTION

The information in the article applies only to the 1996-1999 Cadillac DeVille, Eldorado and Seville.

One of the major reasons for oil consumption is combustion deposits that build up on the pistons and rings and cause them to stick in the piston. Stuck rings cannot effectively wipe the oil off the cylinder walls, and the oil will burn in the combustion process.

To deal with an oil consumption condition, begin by following the guidelines in bulletin 01-06-01-011:
- verify general oil consumption concern
- repair oil leaks
- verify that no specific cylinder(s) is burning oil as defined by
oil on the back side of the intake valves or oil on the spark plug.

Then, if necessary perform a new ring-cleaning procedure. The bulletin for this procedure is expected in February. Technical Assistance has a faxable version of the cleaning procedure that can
be sent out until the bulletin is available."

Source: caddyinfo.com

The problem was misunderstood and misdiagnosed many times by GM technicians, often performing frivlous service on the car. To make matters worse, the staff at the dealership was difficult to deal with, once even calling us in to pick up the car when in fact the work was not performed and the car was not ready. Eventually the piston rings were replaced under warranty. The car still used a bit of oil, but the problem was slightly better. A friend owned a 2003 Deville which was very problematic as well. Now what does this have to do with anything? For $7- 10k the STS and Deville offer a lot of value on the used market. Luxury, a 4.6 DOHC V8, and some decent styling, but when there are serious problems with something as fundamental as the engine that are known to exist by GM, why gamble on a used Cadillac?

After this ordeal we replaced it with a 2002 Infiniti Q45 which now has 120,000km and has been absolutely flawless. Nothing but regular maintenance. There have been no problems whatsoever. These can now be found for around $10k on the used market.

Me, I drive a Lexus SC400 which I have owned since February 2007, now at 160,000km The only non-maintenance item that I have needed to replace was the alternator, which was inexpensively replaced. Lexus OEM parts are expensive because you get what you pay for. These cars are impeccably assembled with high-quality parts; any maybe you need to drive one and realise that. Inspect the panel gaps, materials used, rubber seals, interior fits, and durability of materials and it's all top-notch. Lexus never appealed to me until I bought my SC and relaised it, I always thought they were the "blah" luxury brand and it couldn't be further from the truth. For $7-10k a pristine SC400 or LS400 is a far better buy than a comparable Cadillac. For this kind of money I have no idea why Buicks, Cadillacs, or other FWD GM's come to mind.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 10:12:39 pm by UZZ30_Driver »