Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1625946 times)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread-restore or not?
« Reply #2940 on: September 01, 2014, 12:56:19 pm »
should i restore these steelies?   or just use as is come winter?

two of them are like these, and the other two is bit better...
looking at the rust makes me a little sick...

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread-restore or not?
« Reply #2941 on: September 01, 2014, 01:12:52 pm »
should i restore these steelies?   or just use as is come winter?

two of them are like these, and the other two is bit better...
looking at the rust makes me a little sick...

I wouldn't bother, but that's just me. You could spray some Tremclad on there if it makes you feel better, but a proper fix would be too much work. The rust is on the inside where you won't see it anyway. Besides, they're ugly winter steelies, so who cares?  ;)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #2942 on: September 01, 2014, 01:49:53 pm »
A scraper, a wire brush and a can of black POR-15 and it would look much better.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: September 01, 2014, 04:02:41 pm »
I may actually have some of these at work.  We have no use for discreet components anymore and plan on donating what we have left over to the local college.  Problem is that I am on vacation and not back at work until Sept 9.  I will check then if you still need it.  :)

Thanks.  I'll see if I can source it locally.  Enjoy your vacation.

I forgot where you are.
http://www.sayal.com/zinc/index.asp
Near dixie rd/ matheson blvd there are two more electronics stores on that plaza. (mississauga)

I'm the in the Center of the Universe.  That's perfect.  I'll go check them out.  Thank you.  :)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2944 on: September 01, 2014, 05:11:40 pm »
Our try here http://www.e-sonic.com/contactuspage.aspx
I believe they use to be electronic sonic, which was a big parts store

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #2945 on: September 02, 2014, 09:04:58 am »
Personally, I'd probably leave those wheels alone. But if you really want them to last for some reason, get one of those round wire brush attachments for your drill and use it on the entire inside of the rim. Then just hit it with some black Tremclad spray. Couple hours to do all 4.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #2946 on: September 02, 2014, 01:21:24 pm »
Plugging away on some small projects around the house. One thing I hated about this house is that is has very little curb appeal...But beggars cannot be choosers, and I don't wanna get started on the realestate prices around here, so I am trying to do the best I can with what I've got, lol.

BEFORE (last fall sometime just after we moved in)

This weekend:

Basically I've painted a few things black as accents to give it a little character, and added the shutters on the upper windows. The wifey did a little gardening along the walkway and I've gotten most of the weeds out of the grass.
I have more of the black decorative shutters, so I am planning to up them on the windows along the garage this coming weekend. I also wnat to do some stucco parging along the foundation by the walkway, but I think at this point in the year it'll have to wait until the Spring.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2947 on: September 02, 2014, 01:34:51 pm »
Plugging away on some small projects around the house. One thing I hated about this house is that is has very little curb appeal...But beggars cannot be choosers, and I don't wanna get started on the realestate prices around here, so I am trying to do the best I can with what I've got, lol.

Basically I've painted a few things black as accents to give it a little character, and added the shutters on the upper windows. The wifey did a little gardening along the walkway and I've gotten most of the weeds out of the grass.
I have more of the black decorative shutters, so I am planning to up them on the windows along the garage this coming weekend. I also want to do some stucco parging along the foundation by the walkway, but I think at this point in the year it'll have to wait until the Spring.

The problem is that of houses of that vintage are 'designed' to be garages with an attached house.
I sympathize indeed but any other way to get 2 to 4 cars on the property would have contravened some bylaw or another....or have cost a lot more for a bigger lot.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-167
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: September 02, 2014, 01:46:56 pm »

The problem is that of houses of that vintage are 'designed' to be garages with an attached house.
I sympathize indeed but any other way to get 2 to 4 cars on the property would have contravened some bylaw or another....or have cost a lot more for a bigger lot.

Very true.

I'm a car guy and I'd love a bigger garage. However, I go into a lot of developments and all you can see from the street is big garages and driveways fronting onto the road with the actual door to the house buried off to the side. Honestly, can somebody explain the logic of the bay window on that house?

One the one hand, these designs seem very odd to me. On the other hand, they are certainly very common so I guess somebody likes the idea.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: September 02, 2014, 02:11:03 pm »
Agreed, I see the efficiency in the design, but the aestetics do bug me. I got a great deal on the house and based on what the neighbours have been selling for I've made about 30-35% on it in the last year. So I've been toying with the idea of cashing out and moving on. But after a year we're finally "comfortable", so I've just asked my realtor to put a few feelers out because for the next house I want something very specific....So I am happy here until we come across that perect place, lol.
I am really not sure any bay window has much of a purpose, other than to let more light in and make the interior space for more open - and that it does a decent job of here. I do notice that I am one of only a couple of houses on the street with a bay window. Honestly, I am kinda indifferent to it.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #2950 on: September 02, 2014, 02:25:14 pm »
I have more of the black decorative shutters, so I am planning to up them on the windows along the garage this coming weekend. I also wnat to do some stucco parging along the foundation by the walkway, but I think at this point in the year it'll have to wait until the Spring.

Finish it all off by painting the garage door black to match your other trim pieces.  It will pull it all together nicely.  To my eye, right now, the garage door stands out even more than it did, due to the colour difference.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: September 02, 2014, 02:28:26 pm »
I've been thinking about that too. Door will need to be painted next year, if it's still here. I have a garage door guy coming next week to see if he can modify this door to give me the extra height/clearance I need for a 4-post lift. If not, I'll have to fork out for a new door anyway.

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-167
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: September 02, 2014, 03:10:24 pm »

I am really not sure any bay window has much of a purpose, other than to let more light in and make the interior space for more open...

Bay windows give you a much wider field of view. You can look to the sides and see the pretty girl two doors down cutting the grass.

But that's predicated on the basic idea that there is nothing else blocking your view. To have a bay window on an inside corner where it faces the wall of your garage kinda' defeats the purpose.

This one makes sense. You can check out the neighbours, keep and eye on the kids heading off to school, see delivery trucks coming;

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #2953 on: September 02, 2014, 03:23:23 pm »
Looking much better Firm!  Agree about the black garage door idea. The biggest improvement imo was removing that slanted post.  What was the purpose of that?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #2954 on: September 02, 2014, 03:31:07 pm »
Old basket ball net

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2955 on: September 02, 2014, 03:33:22 pm »

I am really not sure any bay window has much of a purpose, other than to let more light in and make the interior space for more open...

Bay windows give you a much wider field of view. You can look to the sides and see the pretty girl two doors down cutting the grass.

But that's predicated on the basic idea that there is nothing else blocking your view. To have a bay window on an inside corner where it faces the wall of your garage kinda' defeats the purpose.

This one makes sense. You can check out the neighbours, keep and eye on the kids heading off to school, see delivery trucks coming;

The wooden post to the right, looks temporary, but all too often I see painted wooden ones.  5-10 years later start rotting.  What is the point of using wood? 

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: September 02, 2014, 03:49:06 pm »
lol, yes the slanted pole was a basket ball net....It wasn't actually slanted, it's just the picture. One of the first things I did when we moved in was take an angle grinder to that thing. Damn thing was filled with cement. I grew grass right over the old concrete base.
I see your point abotu the bay window....I do like it thought because it gives a little more interior space. Also, if I open the side door on the garage I can see my cars from the bay window ;)

And Yes, a lot of newer developments are limiting the garage size, and the distance that it protrudes from the front of the house. I know in Innisfil that was a big deal so they were shortening the garages, or cutting off the back corners for more house space.

My parents house had wood pillars, after ~15 years they rotted out on the bottom and became nice breeding ground for ants. And that was with my dad scraping and painting them every other year. They swapped them out for aluminium ones and haven't had any issues since.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: September 02, 2014, 03:55:34 pm »

The wooden post to the right, looks temporary, but all too often I see painted wooden ones.  5-10 years later start rotting.  What is the point of using wood?

My friend has painted wooden pillars on his front porch.  They are rottening away at the base. Would it be better to replace with steel posts? 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: September 02, 2014, 03:57:27 pm »
If you use Douglas Fir you should not have too much of an issues with Rot if you install properly.

Also, many cities have clamped down on the whole garage thing and have limited sizes. In Kitchener, a garage cannot make up more than 30% of the front elevation and in many cases you cannot do a 3 car garage unless it is turned.

Well I am no builder, so I don't know what they use.  But I see plenty of new builds, that have this problem.  Garage doors less than 3 winters old with wood flaking off.  I know they can sand and paint it.  But IMO, shouldn't have to be done on 3 year old door.  My garage door was over 20 years old before changing to steel.  Painted it only twice, before that.

Edit:
Interesting about the garage doors, I saw new builds less than 2 year old on Hamilton mountain with 3 car garage facing the street.  Guess it varies a lot by region.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 06:25:39 pm by Solstice2006 »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #2959 on: September 02, 2014, 05:24:24 pm »
My perception Oakleys for cycling are in.