Author Topic: Daytime Running Lights Problem on 2001 Honda Civic  (Read 35778 times)

Jeepfan

Daytime Running Lights Problem on 2001 Honda Civic
« on: November 18, 2008, 08:18:11 pm »
Hi guys. I recently acquired a used '01 Civic, and I think that car suffers from a series of symptoms...
- DRL lit on dashboard
- DRL sign turns off when headlights are switched on (whether high or low beams)
- Blown DRL 10A fuse
- Upon DRL fuse replacement, noise coming from the glove compartment area
- Changed gray DRL relay (RC-5102); no change, same buzzing noise
- Took off the DRL module from under the bottom left of the dash. Took it apart to inspect all solderings. No clear evidence of a cold one, but nonetheless re-soldered a few that didn't look as good as the others. Put everything back into place: same exact scenario.
- Decided to inspect the right headlight bulb: to my surprise, the high beam wire was cut and the bulb itself was cracked in its forward portion. Went back to Canadian Tire (for the 3rd time today!) and bought a new bulb. Replaced it, and I still have the exact same problem!!

I did notice though that the high beam is definitely linked to this problem, since even when the headlights are off, simply having the high beams on (by pressing the steering-mounted lever) turns off both the buzzing sound and DRL sign. Now that I've exhausted all of what I could try today, I'm turning to you guys; maybe someone could shed some light into this (no pun intended!!) Thanks in advance.

barrie1

Re: Daytime Running Lights Problem on 2001 Honda Civic
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 09:39:19 pm »
Hi Jeepfan and Welcome to the Forum. I would suggest having a good look at the headlight switch itself as all of these parts run thru it for most of the functions they do. Could be some bad contacts in there which would effect the lighting.  :)

Squishy

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 09:44:37 pm »
Do the DRLs and/or the high beams physically turn on?  My first thought was a cracked solder joint in the DRL module, but I see you already checked that.

vdk

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 09:44:46 pm »
- DRL lit on dashboard
- DRL sign turns off when headlights are switched on (whether high or low beams)

That sounds about right. At least in my car that's how it works, seems logical.

Don't know about the other stuff though.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 11:27:11 pm »

That's how that works on my 02 Civic. 

ksweetland

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 02:11:59 pm »
I have a similar problem.  The DRL indicator comes on with buzzing sound.  When I turn on the headlights, the DRL light goes out and the buzzing stops.  However, only 1 on my headlights now work on high beam.  Sometimes when I start the car, the DRL and buzzing are not present and both high beams work.  Do I replace the module?  If so, is there a part # I can refer to?

Thanks.

Squishy

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 04:32:12 pm »
- DRL lit on dashboard

That sounds about right. At least in my car that's how it works, seems logical.

Don't know about the other stuff though.

That's how that works on my 02 Civic. 
Are you talking about the orange DRL light?  In our MDX the blue high beam light is dimly lit while DRLs are on, goes off when low beams are on, then is fully lit when the real high beams are lit.  There was a separate orange DRL light that came on when the module went bad.

I have a similar problem.  The DRL indicator comes on with buzzing sound.  When I turn on the headlights, the DRL light goes out and the buzzing stops.  However, only 1 on my headlights now work on high beam.  Sometimes when I start the car, the DRL and buzzing are not present and both high beams work.  Do I replace the module?  If so, is there a part # I can refer to?

Thanks.
Take out the module, open it up, and inspect the solder points - especially the two big ones that deliver power to the high beams.  Our MDX first lost one high beam, then the DRL warning light lit up, then we lost both high beams.  The two big solder points had carbon tracking, but I re-soldered the entire board with the "good stuff" from Kester and now they work perfectly.

vdk

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 05:38:31 pm »
DRL light and high-beam light are separate in mine..  ???

ksweetland

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 07:07:38 am »
Yes, the orange DRL light.  If I wanted to replace the module, is there a part # I can refer to?

Thanks all.

Jeepfan

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 09:39:35 pm »
Hi guys. Thanks for all the replies, I'm glad to see that this forum is a pretty active one!
I'll try to answer some of your questions.
Squishy: DRL don't physically turn on, neither does my right high beam. Yes, I've redone some of the solder points, but maybe I should take out the DRL module once more and give it a second try. Has anyone had problems other than bad solder joints with the DRL module (i.e.: with some of the elements found on the module)?
Barrie1: I'll try to look at the headlight switch itself during the weekend. Anyone has experienced a similar series of symptoms that could be tracked down to a malfunctioning headlight switch?
One more funny thing I noticed: Whenever I turn the dial that controls the direction of airflow, the 'A/C' light becomes activated, strange???
Any more ideas?

Squishy

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 10:15:46 pm »
Yes, the orange DRL light.  If I wanted to replace the module, is there a part # I can refer to?

Thanks all.
ksweetland, my database is American so it doesn't give me any part numbers for the DRL module.  You can call a parts desk and ask them for the part number and pricing - my database acknowledges that this module exists for Canada, and that they call it the DRL Control Unit.

Hi guys. Thanks for all the replies, I'm glad to see that this forum is a pretty active one!
I'll try to answer some of your questions.
Squishy: DRL don't physically turn on, neither does my right high beam. Yes, I've redone some of the solder points, but maybe I should take out the DRL module once more and give it a second try. Has anyone had problems other than bad solder joints with the DRL module (i.e.: with some of the elements found on the module)?
Barrie1: I'll try to look at the headlight switch itself during the weekend. Anyone has experienced a similar series of symptoms that could be tracked down to a malfunctioning headlight switch?
One more funny thing I noticed: Whenever I turn the dial that controls the direction of airflow, the 'A/C' light becomes activated, strange???
Any more ideas?
The A/C light should turn on in the defrost modes, maybe more.  The "official" reason that I have been told is to dry the air before it hits the windshield to help defogging, and if A/C is on for the floor modes, to dry the carpet if they get wet in the winter.  In fact, in the Lincoln Town Car, the full face mode is the only mode where the compressor will not turn on.  I don't like it, but it is a fairly standard "feature" in modern cars.  Not all cars will tell you that the A/C is running, but you can hear the compressor engage.

The fact that just one of your high beams are functional makes me think that the switch is good.  Have you checked the other fuses?  You likely have more than one fuse that affects the DRLs.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 10:17:38 pm by Squishy »

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 12:07:56 am »
In the Honda Civic the A/C comes on when the air flow knob is turned to the defrost setting.  You can reprogram it so that you can turn off the A/C while in defrost mode. 

You could try to look up Honda parts here:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/PartsSearch.jsp

hondarama

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 07:05:45 pm »
Got DRL problems on my Honda Civic 2001 but after months of  "switching on the high beams quick fix" i finally noticed the right headlight was gone for the daytime intensity but the big beam were ok... I opened the hood to get to the bulbs to see how to change it (i have no idea what i'm doing by the way but am totally willing to dig in).  I pulled the connectors out on each light.  They looked quite burned up actually, the plastic and the wires connected to them.... I wiped some ot the black stuff to check if the wires were still alive and put them back in... well... it has stopped since.. and my right light is back on....

I don't know if the overheating damages the connectors and wires but it might be a thing to look at closely...  There is a goo like substance inside the plugs that looks like computer laptop grease to prevent overheating, it might not be the best grease or it might need some changing.... Thanks to all of you.  It's quite helpful to troubleshoot like this.

JerryLee

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 10:05:20 pm »
I have had the same problem (2001 Civic LX, right head light DRL) for one year except I did not have a broken bulb and cut wire. It got worse in the past couple of months. I just turned on the head lights all the time to get rid of the buzzing. I checked the wiring diagram and suspect the DRL module. I found a clue at wikianswers and took out the DRL module board. Crack solder points found at the relay pins. Resoldered them, no more buzzing and the right head light is back in DRL status. This saved me at least $150.
Crack solder points are common when the pins are over heated. I believe this issue is common on this batch of DRL boards. You will see it sooner or later.
I have some pictures for you to locate the module but do not know how to post. Send me a line I can email you back if you need them.

jameszzk

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 08:12:11 am »
Hi JerryLee, my car has the same problem, may you email me how to locate the DRL module? my eamil is jameszzk@yahoo.ca, thank you very much!

drbk

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 01:51:53 pm »
 :D
Thank you for your ideas from this discussion!

My problems started with buzzing behind the glove box and an intermittent DRL warning light that I silenced by turning my headlights off.  Eventually the buzzing stopped and the DRL warning light was solid and the daytime running lights were inoperable.

I followed your suggestions and cleared the cold solder joints in the Daytime Running Light Module but still had the DRL light on my dash and no daytime running lights.

I traded out the DRL Relay located to the left of the glove box but the problem persisted.

I then checked the fuses located below steering column  in the 01 Civic it is a 7.5 Amp fuse #12 and a 10 Amp fuse #3.  Fuse #3 was the culprit and now the Daytime Running Lights are working perfectly with no DRL warnings.

It appears after reading many threads on this subject there are multiple points of possible failure in the circuit.   Module (located to near the Hood release - Grey Box) - Fuses in cabin below steering column - and a relay located to the left side of the glove box (Grey Mitubishi Part RC-5102).  It is less likely to be a problem in the headlight switch or parking brake but stranger things have happened.

I think the buzzing noise was intermittent power to the relay by the glove box but was only a symptom from the module power issues.

Thanks to all who contributed here!   ;D

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 09:07:55 am »
That was a great first post!  Very informative. Welcome to the forum!