Author Topic: CD Article: 2009 Pontiac G8 V6  (Read 15786 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2009 Pontiac G8 V6
« on: November 17, 2008, 10:25:56 pm »

Test Drive:
2009 Pontiac G8 V6

2009 Pontiac G8 V6G'day mate!  It's the G8, Pontiac's Holden import from Down Under.  Rear-drive and an independent suspension make for great driving dynamics, says contributor Bob McHugh.  The G8 challenges Euro and Japanese sports sedans for less money, he says.
 More:
Read the article | View the photos | All the Test Drives

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: CD Article: 2009 Pontiac G8 V6
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 10:28:42 pm »
Rumour floating around the "Net that GM may drop this car from the line-up already.  Not sure how true it is.  V6 doesn't seem like a great deal compared to the V8 model......
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 11:00:57 pm »
I hope they don't drop it.  GM needs cars like these - that make a splash - if they want to do well in the future.  I think the G8 is a very attractive package overall.  And $33 000 for a 260hp, RWD sedan that handles like a sports car seems like good value to me.  IS250 only offers 200 hp at the same price point.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 11:11:22 pm »
  IS250 only offers 200 hp at the same price point.

Not in the same class...but hey.......(Doubt those shopping for either models would cross shop the other.)

Mitlov

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 11:29:50 pm »
The base engine in the Camaro (which is several thousand cheaper than this and built on the same platform) is the 306 hp direct-inject V6.  Shame they haven't used this same engine as the base engine on the G8.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 11:37:59 pm »
V6 :thumbdown:

V8 :thumbup:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 12:03:50 am »
The base engine in the Camaro (which is several thousand cheaper than this and built on the same platform) is the 306 hp direct-inject V6.  Shame they haven't used this same engine as the base engine on the G8.

Turns out that DI V6 mods nicely too!!!  With a reflash, intake and exhaust 300 RWHP.  Impressive!!

Honda Owner

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 12:41:58 am »
It is definitely a nice package but is it the correct one for the times? Sales figures (which are what really count) say otherwise. Too bad, really. What GM really needs is a 1.5 litre car that people want to buy and doesn't fall apart at 60,001 km. But that wouldn't pique "auto enthusiasts," would it?

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 01:23:31 am »

+1.

The FWD mid-size family sedans have more HP than this. I hope GM will be around long enough to upgrade the engine and the tranny on this otherwise nice car (and remove the silly faux hood scoops).

Mitlov

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 02:16:05 am »
It is definitely a nice package but is it the correct one for the times? Sales figures (which are what really count) say otherwise. Too bad, really. What GM really needs is a 1.5 litre car that people want to buy and doesn't fall apart at 60,001 km. But that wouldn't pique "auto enthusiasts," would it?

Not every thread about a Subaru or a Volvo (regardless of the model) degenerates into rants about how they don't offer a competitor with the Fit or the Versa.  Actually, I've never seen a single Subaru or Volvo thread with posts like yours in it.  Why must people do this with every GM thread, even if the thread has nothing to do with the admittedly-uncompetitive Aveo?  It gets real old real quick, and frankly, it feels like trolling.

Honda Owner

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 02:32:40 am »
Not every thread about a Subaru or a Volvo (regardless of the model) degenerates into rants about how they don't offer a competitor with the Fit or the Versa.

I will try not let this get into a rant, but Mitlov, the car business is not about "canyon carving through the twisties with a shift lever that falls readily to hand, piquing the interest of any autophile," it is about people actually walking into dealerships, plunking down their hard earned dollars, and buying cars. It is about making money. Not one of the US makers does this. It is because they do not make products enough people want to buy. Your tax dollars are about to bail these companies out just for this reason. The dealers have been screaming for an entry level product that could compete with Honda and Toyota for the last twenty years and what we got was the Tahoe, Solstice, Camaro and the G8 because Lutz thought he could generate fat profits off of them. And he was totally wrong. That is because for every G8 that is sold, Toyota is moving about a bazillion Yaris sedans with option pack B and accessory floor mats, with service pack. And they're movin' the exact same car in Canada, America, Thailand, the Philippines, South Africa and makin' more money on every one they sell. And for the last 30 years, GM just hasn't gotten this point. This is coming from a person who has worked for both Chrysler and GM and seen them alienate their customers for the last 25 years promising them quality product that was never delivered. Our customers were then delivered to the Honda store down the road. Doesn't anybody get this in America?

Fact is, the G8 is about to be sh*tcanned, along with the Solstice, because GM doesn't sell enough of them to make money on each unit sold.But hey, if you want to pay taxes to bailout a car marker like GM so it can make cars people don't want to buy, I hope Wagoner gives himself a $50m bonus for pulling the wool over your eyes. Why would you need to sell cars when you can feed from the public trough?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 03:04:31 am by Honda Owner »

Wolfe

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 03:12:21 am »
Not every thread about a Subaru or a Volvo (regardless of the model) degenerates into rants about how they don't offer a competitor with the Fit or the Versa.

I will try not let this get into a rant, but Mitlov, the car business is not about "canyon carving through the twisties with a shift lever that falls readily to hand, piquing the interest of any autophile," it is about people actually walking into dealerships, plunking down their hard earned dollars, and buying cars. It is about making money. Not one of the US makers does this. It is because they do not make products enough people want to buy. Your tax dollars are about to bail these companies out just for this reason. The dealers have been screaming for an entry level product that could compete with Honda and Toyota for the last twenty years and what we got was the Tahoe, Solstice, Camaro and the G8 because Lutz thought he could generate fat profits off of them. And he was totally wrong. That is because for every G8 that is sold, Toyota is moving about a bazillion Yaris sedans with option pack B and accessory floor mats, with service pack. And for the last 30 years, GM just hasn't gotten this point. This is coming from a person who has worked for both Chrysler and GM and seen them alienate their customers for the last 25 years promising them quality product that was never delivered. Our customers were then delivered to the Honda store down the road. Doesn't anybody get this in America?

Fact is, the G8 is about to be sh*tcanned, along with the Solstice, because GM doesn't sell enough of them to make money on each unit sold.But hey, if you want to pay taxes to bailout a car marker like GM so it can make cars people don't want to buy, I hope Wagoner gives himself a $50m bonus for pulling the wool over your eyes. Why would you need to sell cars when you can feed from the public trough?

::)

I agree with Mitlov.

I've been very critical of how GM has managed their business but the G8 looks to be an excellent car and no matter how shitty the Aveo is it doesn't make the G8 any less impressive.

Toyota is profitable in spite of building boring cars, not because of it. There is absolutely no reason that a car can be great to drive and profitable to build.

I saw a G8 about a week ago and it looks great. I want one.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 09:21:19 am »
Not in the same class...but hey.......(Doubt those shopping for either models would cross shop the other.)

Really?  There's not all that many affordable, RWD sport sedans on the market.  I agree someone looking for a Lexus probably wouldn't cross-shop the G8, but I'm equally sure there are many looking for a fun, practical, RWD vehicle.  And those people would certainly cross shop the two models...

Mitlov

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 09:41:18 am »

I will try not let this get into a rant, but Mitlov, the car business is not about "canyon carving through the twisties with a shift lever that falls readily to hand, piquing the interest of any autophile," it is about people actually walking into dealerships, plunking down their hard earned dollars, and buying cars. It is about making money.

I'm sorry, I thought this was CARtalkCanada, not PROFITSANDLOSSEStalkCanada.  I'm a driver, not a stockholder, and I do prefer to talk about the cars themselves instead of just the overall financial health of the parent company.  This subforum is dedicated to reviews of the cars themselves.  This thread is dedicated to a review of the Pontiac G8 sport sedan.  If all you want to talk about is whose overall company is making money, I'd suggest you stay in the "Sales Reports & Industry News" forum and stay out of the "CanadianDriver Articles/Reviews" forum.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 09:46:28 am »
..OBJECTION....M'LUD.................. :rofl:.....
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 09:48:04 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 11:31:52 am »

1.5L's? Sounds like fun ::) I'll take a GXP with the gobs of excessive tire smoking power thank you. 8)

Honda Owner

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 12:02:20 pm »
I saw a G8 about a week ago and it looks great. I want one.

I've never seen one but from the pictures, it looks quite nice. Unfortunately, GM has only sold about 4000 of them in North America so far, out of a planned 20,000. It is very unlikely that the G8 will be available in 2009.

So, you guys are enthusiasts. I guess I am, too. I want my friends to continue receiving their GM pensions and health benefits, the ones they slaved for 30 years to get. The G8 ain't gonna do that.

I'll take a GXP with the gobs of excessive tire smoking power thank you.

By all means, go out and buy one. That is one way GM will stay in business. But go ask a dealer what he wants to sell, so he can survive and pay his employees. I think you know the answer.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 01:25:39 pm »
The car looks great and hot and no doubt it will have that "America is for muscle cars" presence about it on the road. Not everybody needs a 1.5 4cyl no matter how much money it saves on gas. I had to personally compromise since I drive a lot for work, but still based on my test impressions 1.8L and below was out of the question. 2 reasons really. 1st I already have a bicycle  ;D and 2nd I dont want my car to tell me how many fishing rods, tents, boats and so on I can take with me. Hence it was Sonata. It is nice, soft and floaty and is very comfortable to the point it is hard not to fall asleep, but it is not for enthusiasts and it will be the last "appliance" I buy.
I can put up with a few extra repairs and a few more bucks a day on gas, but my next purchase will be a proper driver car, most likely a RWD. I've had nothing but good experience with GM and it'll be a bonus if the car will come from Oshawa.
In here I believe G8 will be a seller as we missed on the GTO. Camaro will be a tough thing to beat but on the other hand many will prefer more conservative looks, an extra set of doors and a proven power plant. Like a poster above I suppose they have to offer "nostrils" as an option. 32 grand is a lot of dough but its a lot of American iron  :)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 05:20:19 pm »
I agree with Honda Owner... Corvettes, new Camaros, G8's, are really really cool cars... But they aren't going to make any money for GM!!  Not one red cent...  They are pretty much making them for the sake of making them...

Does anyone here remember the K-Car story for Chrysler?

GM needs a 2009 K-Car....

Honda Owner

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 07:33:31 pm »
GM needs a 2009 K-Car....

And the K-Car wasn't a very good car. It was all about marketing.

Not everybody needs a 1.5 4cyl no matter how much money it saves on gas

Point taken. The idea, then, is to make a 1.5, a 1.8. a 2.0 and 2.4 litre car so customers can trade up. Do any of the American makers have the first two? Does GM have the first three? Then start with V-6 in a premium division, all the way up to V-8 models. Who would have imagined, 25 years ago, that Toyota would be selling cars that cost $100,000 and more? Or they Lexus would be smoking Cadillac in sales? GM gave that market away with the crap they called Cadillac in the 1980s and 1990s.

The American makers stymie me. They are coming out with cars with Moxie (tm) that will never move in numbers to make them any sort of money.

Until 2005, when it went bust, I worked at a GM dealership. What was needed was a product that could go head to head with our main competition, the Corolla and Civic and to a lesser extant the Mazda 3.

Since then we have seen a new Corolla and Civic. A new Cobalt? Nope, all that is promised is the Cruz in 2010 and even it is will probably be late.

Really, they are clueless. That is why that are close to bankruptcy.