Author Topic: CD Article: 2008 Honda CR-V EX-L Navi  (Read 12896 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2008 Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
« on: July 13, 2008, 10:27:00 pm »

Test Drive:
2008 Honda CR-V EX-L Navi

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L NaviUnlike many compact SUVs that offer optional V6 engines and seven seats, the CR-V is strictly a four-cylinder, five-passenger vehicle.  But with decent performance and reasonable fuel economy, that's all you really need, says Contributing Editor Chris Chase.

More:
Read the article | View the photos | All the Test Drives

Rolling

Re: CD Article: 2008 Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 01:22:34 am »
The styling of this current CRV is starting to grow on me, but its fuel economy is becoming its most attractive feature. The CRV’s front end still reminds me of a funny/popular poster of an old man with no teeth, his lower jaw sticking out, and upper lip sucked in.

I hope that Honda would consider offering their new Diesel engine option slated for the 2009 Acura TSX, as an available option for the 2009 CRV.  I would buy a 2009 CRV that had the new Diesel engine, and preferably a 6 speed manual transmission in a heartbeat if they offered it….even if they didn’t change the front end styling.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 01:25:20 am by Rolling »

Mitlov

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 03:47:23 am »
The styling of this current CRV is starting to grow on me, but its fuel economy is becoming its most attractive feature. The CRV’s front end still reminds me of a funny/popular poster of an old man with no teeth, his lower jaw sticking out, and upper lip sucked in.

I hope that Honda would consider offering their new Diesel engine option slated for the 2009 Acura TSX, as an available option for the 2009 CRV.  I would buy a 2009 CRV that had the new Diesel engine, and preferably a 6 speed manual transmission in a heartbeat if they offered it….even if they didn’t change the front end styling.

I don't think that the diesel engine has been officially confirmed for the TSX yet...have you heard otherwise?  I think it was just a rumor like the RDX's turbo engine in the TSX, which turned out to be a false rumor.

Since they cut the manual transmission from the gas-powered CR-V, I doubt they'd add it back in for a diesel.

If you want good fuel economy and a manual transmission from a compact crossover, you might want to look at the Jeep Patriot.  I haven't driven one, but with the available five-speed manual and AWD, it gets 22 mpg city, 27 mpg highway, and 24 mpg combined (US EPA ratings, US gallons).  For comparison, the CR-V AWD is rated in the same system as 20 mpg city, 26 mpg highway, and 22 mpg combined.  So the Jeep might actually be a class-leader in fuel economy right now (talk about bizarro opposite universe!).

Plus, the Jeep is in my opinion a much better-looking vehicle (as long as we're mentioning the CR-V's bizarre exterior styling):

On the other hand, refinement should be a hands-down victory for the Honda.

Cam

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 07:40:30 am »
WHERE'S THE DIESEL?!?  Surely the manufacturers are not still asleep at the switch.  Jeeps have received the lowest rating of the small SUV's.  The first manufacturer to bring a small SUV diesel will sell a bunch.  Looks like VW will be the first, and will sell plenty despite a very high price.

gmgod

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 08:32:34 am »

I don't think that the diesel engine has been officially confirmed for the TSX yet...have you heard otherwise?  I think it was just a rumor like the RDX's turbo engine in the TSX, which turned out to be a false rumor.

Since they cut the manual transmission from the gas-powered CR-V, I doubt they'd add it back in for a diesel.

If you want good fuel economy and a manual transmission from a compact crossover, you might want to look at the Jeep Patriot.  I haven't driven one, but with the available five-speed manual and AWD, it gets 22 mpg city, 27 mpg highway, and 24 mpg combined (US EPA ratings, US gallons).  For comparison, the CR-V AWD is rated in the same system as 20 mpg city, 26 mpg highway, and 22 mpg combined.  So the Jeep might actually be a class-leader in fuel economy right now (talk about bizarro opposite universe!).

Plus, the Jeep is in my opinion a much better-looking vehicle (as long as we're mentioning the CR-V's bizarre exterior styling):

On the other hand, refinement should be a hands-down victory for the Honda.

My wife bought a Patriot and I can honestly say the only place the Honda has it beat is interior .The Patriot gets a new interior for 09.

Mitlov

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 10:24:37 am »
My wife bought a Patriot and I can honestly say the only place the Honda has it beat is interior .The Patriot gets a new interior for 09.

Your name is "GMGod" and there's a Chrysler-group vehicle in your driveway?  :rofl:

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 01:10:39 pm »
So in winter driving it got just over 11l/100kms and now in summer just under 11l/100kms with what seems to be, based on the way the FE is described as being around 50-50 hwy and city.

Last week we took the Equinox to Collingwood for the week and averaged 10.18 l/100kms 543kms for 55ltrs (the tank was filled up just outside of Collingwood on the way there and the 543 includes all of the day trips and coming home). That was always with the AC on, minimum 2 people on board at all times (and I would say most often 2.1 people - the 23 pound youngster loves to drive and lots of times when Grandma was also on board) and that was pretty close to being 50-50 hwy city
blah blah blah Toyota blah blah blah I feel your pain; you've got a GM, it's worth squat and you owe on it. 

Dude, if the displacment is EXACT, it's not "all new".  The intake is different, the VVT is now on both sets of valves  In the automotive world "all new" often means somewhat different

Leviathan

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 01:12:07 pm »
I'm not fan of the CR-V styling in general but the wheels on the base model are simply awful.

Online Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 01:52:41 pm »
So in winter driving it got just over 11l/100kms and now in summer just under 11l/100kms with what seems to be, based on the way the FE is described as being around 50-50 hwy and city.

I think the original article stated they got 12-13L/100km during the test.

A friend of mine was telling me a while back that his CRV LX FWD got 13-15L/100km for the last winter, mostly city driving. He admitted that his wife has a lead foot sometimes. In any case I was shocked since my Outlander V6 4WD got around 13.x L/100km during last winter months with normal driving and more highway (I think few tanks were high 12s and few low 14s).

While the CRV's FE seems to be at par with most other offerings in the class, it's definitely not a class leader.

If all you save is about 1L/100km, I wonder once again, if the penalty in performance is worth not getting a compact V6. I know it isn’t for me.

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 08:57:45 pm »
I love the CR-V's styling, Mitlov!

When it comes to looks, we're as different as they come.

And yes, i'm still loving the interior of my Civic.  =)

The EX-L with Navi is really expensive for a 4-banger engine... 

Mitlov

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 10:20:21 pm »
I love the CR-V's styling, Mitlov!

When it comes to looks, we're as different as they come.

And yes, i'm still loving the interior of my Civic.  =)

More power to you.  Like I often say, the more competition and variety the better from a consumer's perspective.

Honda/Acura is trying really, really hard to push the limit with their recent styling jobs.  Personally, I'm a fan of more conservative, understated, classic designs, but I realize that's not everybody's cup of tea.

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 10:52:58 pm »

More power to you.  Like I often say, the more competition and variety the better from a consumer's perspective.

Honda/Acura is trying really, really hard to push the limit with their recent styling jobs.  Personally, I'm a fan of more conservative, understated, classic designs, but I realize that's not everybody's cup of tea.

But i always look forward to hearing your opinion regarding car designs, even if i disagree with it some (most?) times. 

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 11:47:00 am »

Your name is "GMGod" and there's a Chrysler-group vehicle in your driveway?  :rofl:

Based on his posts I would say GM means genetically modified.

gmgod

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 05:34:33 pm »

Based on his posts I would say GM means genetically modified.

I thank you for the compliment.  Basically what your saying is this. Take some wallflower like yourself and turn him into something bertter - ME !!  ;D

gmgod

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 05:35:58 pm »

You know how it goes. The wife wants a Jeep , the wife gets a Jeep. And they really are a good deal.