Author Topic: Toyota Corolla vs. Matrix vs. Camry vs. Yaris  (Read 38398 times)

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
Re: Toyota Corolla vs. Matrix vs. Camry vs. Yaris
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2008, 09:52:16 am »
The reference to the inside line thread includes 08.  So you mean to say the tranny has to unlearn and learn ie. highway vs city driving, my spouse using my car for errands etc etc!!  No thanks, there are much better choices out there.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2008, 09:59:26 am »
The Yaris HB cannot be had with sidebags.  We chose the Corolla 'cause we have a wagon (Subaru) for carrying stuff and a compact sedan will do nicely.  The Corolla has a very small fuel economy penalty over the Yaris, but is a much more substantial car in many ways. I also thought the price premium for the Corolla over the Yaris to be very small considering the difference in the cars.  The Yaris sedan with "C" package (AT) is $20,360 with GST (Alberta) while the Corolla CE "C" package is $20,700.  Only $400?

Now, the Yaris HB is more versatile, though the cargo space when using the backseat is very small.

One thing I do like about both Yaris and Corolla is the tried, tested, and true drivelines in both cars.  Yes, the 1.8L for 09 in the Corolla is new, but has been installed in other markets previously.  The four speed ATs in both cars are known bulletproof.

I think it comes down to preference when driving.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2008, 10:23:58 am »
The reference to the inside line thread includes 08.  So you mean to say the tranny has to unlearn and learn ie. highway vs city driving, my spouse using my car for errands etc etc!!  No thanks, there are much better choices out there.

All Toyota transmissions use this system so don't buy one.  :)  Now you know what the issue is so you can now refrain from busting into a Toyota thread and posting BS.  :)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2008, 10:59:04 am »

It's a good thing you don't drive a Nissan with the CVT.... Wait a minute....

Shifts are seamless and well defined. Xtronic features advanced shift control logic with a high speed computer processor, offering shift patterns that adapt to the driver’s style and driving environment. Like to accelerate quickly? Xtronic remembers this and sets shift parameters accordingly.

To the OP:  I'll echo all the above sentiments and sugget the new Corolla. 

http://www.roadfly.com/2009-nissan-murano-first-drive-2.html
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 11:05:37 am by tortoise »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2008, 11:51:45 am »

All Toyota transmissions use this system so don't buy one.  :)  Now you know what the issue is so you can now refrain from busting into a Toyota thread and posting BS.  :)

No BS here, what I know is that the issue is an issue.  I have read all post in that inside line thread and the issue surfaces up all the time, and has been going on for almost 2 years.  So I think the BS is from you.  As for the Xtronics in the Nissans you cannot get anything smoother than that.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2008, 03:03:43 pm »
I have read all post in that inside line thread and the issue surfaces up all the time,

You've got ppl on that site that post about their car ownership experience and don't even own a car.  It's the same baloney like you read on other cars sites such as this:

Saturday we went out with friends and rode in my new Altima, she went on to tell me that her sister's new Camry is in need of a new tranny.   ::)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2008, 03:10:46 pm »
 ::) If'n i had ta ride inna Altima I'd wanta new tranny too....one with a bigger STICK..........................shift................. >:D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2008, 04:03:53 pm »
I have read all post in that inside line thread and the issue surfaces up all the time,

You've got ppl on that site that post about their car ownership experience and don't even own a car.  It's the same baloney like you read on other cars sites such as this:

Saturday we went out with friends and rode in my new Altima, she went on to tell me that her sister's new Camry is in need of a new tranny.    ::)

Possibly shifting in P for Passing gear, or R for Reduce speed ...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2008, 05:56:15 pm »
"shifting in P".....i draws tha line @ that.....I'm Pooped out in 5th........ ::) :P

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2008, 06:08:59 pm »

Saturday we went out with friends and rode in my new Altima, she went on to tell me that her sister's new Camry is in need of a new tranny.   ::)

I drove the new Camry several times, I crossed shop the car, my friend has a sister that owns a Camry(with tranny issues), you can find numerous sites bitching the transmission.  You are calling me a liar and that goes to show what kind of individual you are, you can dis Nissan, GM and many other brands that put out very nice and interesting cars but god forbid when any issue is ever mentioned on your Toyotas, it is truly unfortunate that you are a poster here as it does take away from CTC.  During the winter I posted very little but did observe daily all the nonsense, and you were often part of it. ;)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2008, 06:43:46 pm »
Many makes seem to have trouble moving past the four speed AT.  Way back when MB pioneered the electronic five speed auto, the first two years of production were troubled.  Of course, as soon as the 722.6 five speed was bullet-proof, they replaced it with the 722.9 seven speed, which of course, had some teething issues.

Honda and Toyota both have had bad runs of five speed AT's.

The Camry has not been without it's troubles, but the problems seem confined to the V-6 model.  CR's ratings for the I-4 model are good, and I have no idea of why the V-6 is having trouble.

No matter the manufacturer, you're taking a chance being an early adopter of technology.  It's one reason I didn't mind at all that Toyota installed the bulletproof 4AT in the 09 Corolla...

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2008, 07:25:20 pm »
It's one reason I didn't mind at all that Toyota installed the bulletproof 4AT in the 09 Corolla...

And it won't stop you from getting mileage like mid to high 40s either. :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2008, 10:13:33 pm »

I drove the new Camry several times, I crossed shop the car, my friend has a sister that owns a Camry(with tranny issues), you can find numerous sites bitching the transmission.  You are calling me a liar and that goes to show what kind of individual you are, you can dis Nissan, GM and many other brands that put out very nice and interesting cars but god forbid when any issue is ever mentioned on your Toyotas, it is truly unfortunate that you are a poster here as it does take away from CTC.  During the winter I posted very little but did observe daily all the nonsense, and you were often part of it. ;)

You are calling me a liar

Essentially, yes.

You claim to have first hand knowledge of a new Camry having a broken transmission without identifying:
1.  the year
2.  the model
3.  the type of engine

If you can't provide the most basic of info then it's  :spam:   Post it's VIN.

you can dis Nissan

Can't say I have.  Me thinks you got a chip on your shoulder about your Altima.  They have lousy resale.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2008, 05:58:41 am »
I guess you don't realize how silly you look right now, you think I'm stupid and crossed shop a 99.  I tested both an 08 LE/SE with the I4, there happy fanboy.  As for the Altima resale, well it will make an excellent used car value, on the other hand it will be hard to afford a much needed powertrain warranty on the used Camry when one paid to much in the first place.  As for having a chip on my shoulder, don't think so, never in my life of owning cars have I received so many compliments!!  BTW Nissan will be increasing production on the Altima to meet demand http://news.morningstar.com/newsnet/ViewNews.aspx?article=/DJ/200806091648DOWJONESDJONLINE000551_univ.xml

http://www.automotive-business-review.com/article_news.asp?guid=38BAD509-E963-45FE-A357-99805A22A043

oh and this one...

http://autos.canada.com/news/story.html?id=7e2eae1d-f26f-4f46-b5e2-95cc281160e8
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 06:05:04 am by Altima1 »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2008, 09:05:58 am »
Before you kneel at Toyota's grave, recall that the majority of their products are highly rated/ranked.  All makers (Toyota included) make missteps.  Yes, Nissan's Altima is a fine car (as are many others) but recall that Nissan has made goofs in the not too distant past, including driveline issues with the Sentra.  The Sentra today is just average.  Currently, the Titan has worse than average reliability.  Armada?  Much worse than average.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2008, 09:44:27 am »
Before you kneel at Toyota's grave, recall that the majority of their products are highly rated/ranked.  All makers (Toyota included) make missteps.  Yes, Nissan's Altima is a fine car (as are many others) but recall that Nissan has made goofs in the not too distant past, including driveline issues with the Sentra.  The Sentra today is just average.  Currently, the Titan has worse than average reliability.  Armada?  Much worse than average.

johngenx,

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not at all kneeling at Toyota's grave, I fully recognize what Toyota is and have owned a very dependable one up to 1 month ago.  I also recognize the shortcomings of Nissan in the past, but today the Altima, Sentra, Versa are all CR recomended models. The QX56(fancy Armada) and the Quest finished 2nd in their JD Powers category  My heart was set on a Camry and that you can verify by digging a bit in past post, but I changed my mind after test driving the vehicle disliking the unrefined transmission.  What annoys me and others here is the fact that it's forbidden to raise any concerns about Toyota here without A/S getting all twisted and basically treating us as idiots.  A/S can take shots at anyone's brand anytime, he goes as far as calling people liars, that people posting about Camry's ie. Edmunds Inside Line don't even own a Camry.  Honestly all this nonsense is long in the tooth, some familiar names have left this forum because they no longer want to read this crap.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2008, 10:22:58 am »
johngenx,
What annoys me and others here is the fact that it's forbidden to raise any concerns about Toyota here without A/S getting all twisted and basically treating us as idiots.

You're talking about one guy.  One :censor: guy.  Now, either use the ignore button, or just ignore him.  You're rapidly turning into him.  Now it feels like there is two of you, and that's WAY worse...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2008, 12:15:52 pm »
Feel better now teacher.  :)

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2008, 12:24:35 pm »
He is already one happy Toyota owner!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2008, 12:40:21 pm »
It's amazing how many teachers buy Toyotas in my region.  They good ppl with good incomes.  :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 12:43:08 pm by articsteve »