Author Topic: 2008 CanadianDriver 50-litre Challenge  (Read 89722 times)

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 CanadianDriver 50-litre Challenge
« Reply #160 on: October 02, 2008, 11:49:50 pm »
Here is a link to a real test:http://www.auto123.com/en/news/car-news/the-vw-jetta-tdi-sets-a-new-guinness-world-record-in-fuel-consumption?artid=101736

There are flaws in every test but the flaws in this 50 liter challenge are so large they render the results completely inaccurate.  Toyota now uses these flawed results in their advertising as winner of the "50 litre challenge".

Come on Canadian Driver, set the record straight.

What are you jealous or something? Why do you care what Toyota does to sell cars?
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 06, 2008, 11:16:06 am »
I propose drain all the tanks and then make it a 1L challenge first car to burn out the fuel pump loses.

What is with the sarcasm. Why don't you instead comment on the following flaws in the test?

1- Cars were accopted from dealers without knowing how much or or what kind/grade of gas was put in the tank

2- Cars were not refilled at the end of the test to determine the actual size of the tanks.

This is basic stuff. Will it be repeated next time CD runs a test?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #162 on: October 06, 2008, 11:36:55 am »
Pumps can be off 10% or something when you fill-up depending on the temperature outside.  So even then it won't be right.  Only real way to do it is remove the tanks, drain the fuel get out the measuring cups and put in an exact amount in each car.

Won't happen.

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 06, 2008, 12:18:34 pm »
Pumps can be off 10% or something when you fill-up depending on the temperature outside.  So even then it won't be right.  Only real way to do it is remove the tanks, drain the fuel get out the measuring cups and put in an exact amount in each car.

Won't happen.

This test is all done on the same day, right? 

Are you saying that 1: Canadian Driver can't fill the cars themselves at the same station and then refill the cars at the same station?  Don't think you need to take a tank out to do that.

I think you are making stupid arguments to protect the merits of a stupid test.  I agree witht he following post:

« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2008, 01:09:52 pm » Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: quadzilla on June 26, 2008, 09:31:55 am
Looks like the article made it to Autoblog Green.

Snowdog is dead on. This test is meaningless. They don't really know how much gas is in the tank at the beginning of the test or even at the end of the test. What kind of crazy person would take their numbers over the numbers of the EPA?

Canadian Driver should really be lambasted for this kind of puke.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #164 on: October 06, 2008, 12:33:21 pm »
Not defending the test really.  The logistics behind that would be a nightmare -- sounds easy enough go to the gas station.

Ok, now try that with 12 cars (I forget how many we had) after 18 hours of driving.  We'd have to have a tanker following us.

It would be much easier to do this entire thing as a 5L challenge (seriously no sarcasm) because it takes FAR too long to get rid of those 50L of fuel! 

The car comes full from the dealership, so that would mean we would have to empty each tank before filling -- otherwise again you could complain we started with an unknown quantity.  We started in Orleans drove to Peterborough and back to Orleans, when the car runs out in Bancroft how exactly do we fill at the station in Orleans?  I guess we could call CAA and tow it back -- all 12 cars?  You see logistically this is a nightmare.

My suggestion was to drive them at a track, they would run out much faster -- I could empty a 50L tank in an hour on a racetrack.  And then we could fill them all there :)