Author Topic: CD Article: 2009 Toyota Matrix base with four-speed automatic transmission  (Read 13522 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Test Drive:
2009 Toyota Matrix base with four-speed automatic transmission

2009 Toyota Matrix base with four-speed automatic transmissionWith four-speed automatic transmission: With a new lower base price under $16,000, the 2009 Toyota Matrix is a terrific value in its class, says Editor-in-Chief, Greg Wilson.  "The Matrix is a no-brainer if you're looking for a reliable new hatchback with a great resale value."

Read the article | View the photos | All The Test Drives

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Did I read this right?

Options:

Cruise Control = base + $2,475 (B pkg) + 3,965 (touring pkg)

That is a lot of green just to have cruise.  :-\

Worse mileage than last year and less space (seats down). By a visual I thought the trunk actually looked smaller also but the specs say otherwise. Have they made a real trunk cover yet?

I sometimes wonder if manufactures are lowering the price to only make you buy more options to get the car you actually want.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
I sometimes wonder if manufactures are lowering the price to only make you buy more options to get the car you actually want.

That certainly holds true for Toyota Canada.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
2009 Corolla and Matrix are both less expensive than the 2008 models, feature for feature.  Yes, you have to spend money to get stuff, but even when you pile option packages on, the price is pretty low.  The 09's have standard side bags, curtain bags and other stuff not available or only on top models for 08.

The beauty of the super-low price no-frills models is good basic transport for first-time buyers.  That said, the majoorty of Corollas are CE "B" package cars.

Mitlov

That certainly holds true for Toyota Canada.

And Toyota USA.  It took a $4500 option package to get side curtain airbags in my wife's Tacoma.  Outrageous. 

Patrick

I didn't care for the look of the old Matrix. But seeing the new one beside an older one, I think the older one looks much better. I'm not sure why you think the new one looks sportier - I think they did a really poor job of developing this car ascetically.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
And Toyota USA.  It took a $4500 option package to get side curtain airbags in my wife's Tacoma.  Outrageous. 

Agree.  Love that Honda and some others have taken the step and made six airbags standard even on their entry-level, base-model vehicles.  Adding side airbags to a Yaris costs just under $1000 up here - as a budget buyer, I would be tempted to do without.  :/

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
I think if you step up to the next engine you can get a 5 speed, or is that the Vibe

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
Have they gotten rid of that annoying window glare from the silver trim around the dash guages?

The price is right. Only $750 more than a base trim Honda Fit.

Personally though, after driving a 2003 Matrix for 11 months, which was IMO mediocre in every respect (but not bad in any respect), I'd look elsewhere. (Oh, OK - build quality and storage/cargo carrying were exemplary.)

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
Did I read this right?

Options:

Cruise Control = base + $2,475 (B pkg) + 3,965 (touring pkg)

That is a lot of green just to have cruise.  :-\

The touring package replaces the B package.  It's one or the other, according to the article.

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
It took Toyota long enough to get a similar design to the Corolla hatch that can be seen elsewhere here. Dunno why - frankly, this is much better looking, imo, than the previous model. I agree it should have 6 airbags though. In the compact hatch market space, we have some good contenders, now, imo. This and the Astra are great vehicles for what they are designed to be. Functional, practical transport. You want performance? Buy a VW.  ;)
JWW

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
Even the base Nissan Versa has 6 airbags. It also has more passenger space than the Matrix, costs less and you don't have to deal with rip-off Toyota dealers. It looks better too - I'd call that a no-brainer.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

AndyLH88

Even the base Nissan Versa has 6 airbags. It also has more passenger space than the Matrix, costs less and you don't have to deal with rip-off Toyota dealers. It looks better too - I'd call that a no-brainer.
Hold on, what's this about everyone saying the Matrix doesn't have 6 airbags standard? They list the side and curtain which equal 4, and then you have the two front ones for a total of 6.
:)

AndyLH88

Hold on, what's this about everyone saying the Matrix doesn't have 6 airbags standard? They list the side and curtain which equal 4, and then you have the two front ones for a total of 6.
:)
Ohh whoops, I think you guys were talking about the Yaris? My bad (sorry no edit button for guests).
 :-X

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
...and you don't have to deal with rip-off Toyota dealers...

I found the dealer question to be the opposite.  Last year I was pretty turned off Toyota dealerships as they acted like they had the last new cars on the planet and you'd just better pony up and shut up.  In March when we bought the 'Rolla, it was the opposite.   Comparing the dealerships...

The Toyota dealer had no admin fee.  The Nissan dealer charged $400.  Okay, in the grand scheme of life, $400 is no biggie, but there is a principle at stake.  I feel the admin fee is a complete rip-off and I HATE it.  The Nissan dealer insisted that we would negotiate the best price, THEN they would tack the $400 on that.  Huh?  F-you.

The Toyota and Nissan PDI charges are close at $1100/$1175.

The Toyota dealer made no efforts to sell me anything other than the car.  No rust-proofing etc.  The Nissan dealer said the "protection package" is standard (done during PDI) and therefore, I HAD to pay it.  Another frikin' charge on top of the $400 admin fee.  I don't know how much the protection package fees were, 'cause I left.

So, it all depends on the local dealers.  In my case, the Toyota dealer was much easier to deal with.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
Okay, in the grand scheme of life, $400 is no biggie, but there is a principle at stake.

a complete rip-off and I HATE it
Huh?  F-you

Man, I'd hate to see what would happen if it was a biggie.  :rofl:

"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
...and you don't have to deal with rip-off Toyota dealers...

I found the dealer question to be the opposite.  Last year I was pretty turned off Toyota dealerships as they acted like they had the last new cars on the planet and you'd just better pony up and shut up.  In March when we bought the 'Rolla, it was the opposite.   Comparing the dealerships...

The Toyota dealer had no admin fee.  The Nissan dealer charged $400.  Okay, in the grand scheme of life, $400 is no biggie, but there is a principle at stake.  I feel the admin fee is a complete rip-off and I HATE it.  The Nissan dealer insisted that we would negotiate the best price, THEN they would tack the $400 on that.  Huh?  F-you.

The Toyota and Nissan PDI charges are close at $1100/$1175.

The Toyota dealer made no efforts to sell me anything other than the car.  No rust-proofing etc.  The Nissan dealer said the "protection package" is standard (done during PDI) and therefore, I HAD to pay it.  Another frikin' charge on top of the $400 admin fee.  I don't know how much the protection package fees were, 'cause I left.

So, it all depends on the local dealers.  In my case, the Toyota dealer was much easier to deal with.

Interesting. The local Toyota dealership is notorious for tacking on all kinds of extras and acting like they're doing you a favor just by talking to you. I don't know about admin fees, but the Nissan dealer didn't charge me one and didn't try to over-sell. I paid $500 less than MSRP for my '08 Versa hatch plus taxes and $1175 PDI.  Pretty good IMO.

francesstone

Thank you for writing such an informative article.  I have been endlessly researching cars of interest to me for awhile now and have been wavering towards the '09 Matrix and after reading your article, I'm convinced.  I really appreciate that there are unbiased articles such as this to help the consumer come to an informed decision.  Thank you!!

New owner, Toyota Matrix '09

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
^^^^Post pics!!!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

robarakira

I did a review on the same Matrix... a decent little unit!

My article should be online somewhere sometime soon . . .