Author Topic: Real-world fuel consumption  (Read 956228 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Real-world fuel consumption
« Reply #1980 on: July 27, 2014, 10:02:28 pm »
Decent for an older Altima, average for today's midsize sedans.

Would you consider my 2011 older or 'today's'?

I think the 2013's and up have updated cvt software to boost economy even more...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:46:49 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #1981 on: July 27, 2014, 10:36:30 pm »
Last weekend I did Markham-Ottawa-Markham in a 2015 Genesis 5.0 Ultimate. Average fuel consumption for the highway portions was a pretty incredible 8.4 L/100 km with no effort whatsoever. This included some, ahem... "spirited" passing on two-lane sections. Pretty awesome for a 420 horsepower AWD luxo-missile weighing north of 2 tons.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: July 27, 2014, 10:48:14 pm »
Last weekend I did Markham-Ottawa-Markham in a 2015 Genesis 5.0 Ultimate. Average fuel consumption for the highway portions was a pretty incredible 8.4 L/100 km with no effort whatsoever. This included some, ahem... "spirited" passing on two-lane sections. Pretty awesome for a 420 horsepower AWD luxo-missile weighing north of 2 tons.

That is impressive.  It likely has cylinder deactivation, and once up to speed on the highway, the mass of the vehicle doesn't really come into play.  Merely aerodynamics, and it's a pretty slippery car.

I wonder how it fares in real-world city driving!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #1983 on: July 27, 2014, 10:51:59 pm »
Yup, city driving is where the weight will come into play.  Dragging that mass up to speed over and over again will drink the gas.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #1984 on: July 27, 2014, 11:52:02 pm »

I think the 2013's and up have updated cvt software to boost economy even more...

Older, as in 4th generation.  We are now in the 5th generation Altimas.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: July 28, 2014, 12:26:42 am »

Older, as in 4th generation.  We are now in the 5th generation Altimas.

Okay, I was just checking.  It IS fairly recent with modern fuel-saving technology, but Nissan has made strides in the last few years above and beyond, especially when it comes to CVT mapping.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #1986 on: July 28, 2014, 07:33:14 am »

Did you use hwy 7?,
Is there much construction on 7?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: July 29, 2014, 09:51:08 am »

That is impressive.  It likely has cylinder deactivation, and once up to speed on the highway, the mass of the vehicle doesn't really come into play.  Merely aerodynamics, and it's a pretty slippery car.

Those are Sonic numbers and it comes with 4 cyl already deactivated. Sheesh.

Truck showed avg of 23.6l/100 after approx 300 km of towing. Super pig.

Your sonic gets worse fuel economy than most 4-cyl midsize sedans?  You must be driving it wrong...

WRT to the truck:  My Dad used to have a 2010 Powerwagon with a Hemi, upon which he put a bed-camper (a decently heavy one) and behind which he flat tows his JEEP.  he would average about 9 MPG, or 26.14L/100km.

He has since traded in the Powerwagon and camper combo for a 24' Class C based on a Sprinter Chassis with the little 3.0 diesel.  He now gets 16mpg (14.7L/100km) when flat towing the JEEP, and 17mpg (13.84L/100km) when NOT towing the JEEP.  I guess the little diesel doesn't really notice the weight of the JEEP too much.

So, while he took a BIG hit in power and useability (he's now stuck in the slow lane when climbing hills/mountains, whereas with the Hemi he could pass with ease) his fuel economy has improved considerably.

They leave at the end of the week for a two-month trip to Eastern Canada, in fact.  They'll be driving to and then around Newfoundland!

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #1988 on: July 29, 2014, 09:03:03 pm »

Your sonic gets worse fuel economy than most 4-cyl midsize sedans?  You must be driving it wrong...

WRT to the truck:  My Dad used to have a 2010 Powerwagon with a Hemi, upon which he put a bed-camper (a decently heavy one) and behind which he flat tows his JEEP.  he would average about 9 MPG, or 26.14L/100km.

He has since traded in the Powerwagon and camper combo for a 24' Class C based on a Sprinter Chassis with the little 3.0 diesel.  He now gets 16mpg (14.7L/100km) when flat towing the JEEP, and 17mpg (13.84L/100km) when NOT towing the JEEP.  I guess the little diesel doesn't really notice the weight of the JEEP too much.

So, while he took a BIG hit in power and useability (he's now stuck in the slow lane when climbing hills/mountains, whereas with the Hemi he could pass with ease) his fuel economy has improved considerably.

They leave at the end of the week for a two-month trip to Eastern Canada, in fact.  They'll be driving to and then around Newfoundland!

That's a sweet package!  My wife and I have talked seriously about buying one ourselves in lieu of a cottage and then we can just go wherever we want in comfort!  That should be an awesome trip!  Btw, whio is the coachbuilder?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 09:04:40 pm by KarlsDarwin »

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: July 29, 2014, 11:09:27 pm »
Took my Mercedes GLK350 to work and back today, averaged 12.4L/100km.

That contrasts to my Smart ED which averages 18kWh/100km over the past 6+ months of commuting.

The Smart is 1/5th the cost of the gas SUV for this short distance commute.

Meanwhile, the GLK has balls, but still can't match the way my Smart ED does the 0-60km/h "hole shot".  Then again, once the Merc gets'a'rollin', whew, hold on, what a roar.  Different cars for different jobs.

Wife agrees, she's already talked about having her own electric car for the city driving that is 90% of her trips.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: July 30, 2014, 07:41:29 am »

That's a sweet package!  My wife and I have talked seriously about buying one ourselves in lieu of a cottage and then we can just go wherever we want in comfort!  That should be an awesome trip! Btw, whio is the coachbuilder?

It's a fleetwood Tioga 24R.  Similar to this one: http://www.generalrv.com/product/new-2013-fleetwood-rv-tioga-dsl-24r-54154-17

His biggest gripe with it is the weight vs the GVWR.  The dry weight of the RV is so close to the GVWR of the 3500 Sprinter Chassis that once all the tanks are filled, it doesn't leave much capacity for gear stowage.  In fact, he found it so bad that he bought a little single axle cube trailer to tow behind when he's not pulling the JEEP, just so he has somewhere to store all his gear including bikes, outdoor kitchen, tools, etc.

Anyway, my parents are making good use of it now.  They're both recently retired so that opens them up to doing nice long trips like this one, which is fantastic for them.  I'm so happy that they're at this point in their lives, and that they're actually doing something with themselves.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #1991 on: July 30, 2014, 07:50:49 am »
Nice rig for sure!  That's a little too big for our needs at this point as I'm about 10 yrs from retirement, so I was thinking something like this would be just right for us... http://www.generalrv.com/product-winnebago/era-motor-home-class-bplus-diesel

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: July 30, 2014, 08:12:37 am »
Class B's are nice, too.  I have an Aunt and Uncle who purchased one based of an E-350 a few years ago.  They shipped it to Europe and over the course of six months proceeded to do a complete tour of the old continent!

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #1993 on: July 30, 2014, 09:07:52 am »
I put the cheapest "decent" tires on the Matrix 3 months ago. 
Only reason is because I needed new tires and the lease will be up in February and I'm not keeping the car.

It seems since I've changed the tires, I can't seem to get last year's summer fuel numbers.
Not sure if it's just me, but it seems I'm not getting as good economy with this crappy rubber. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: July 30, 2014, 09:12:32 am »

Wow - that fuel economy is surprisingly good for a Class C.

That would be the little Mercedes 3.0 Diesel that is responsible for that!

The thing really doesn't have much power, though.  It will make it up all the hills, but only in the slow lane.  Don't expect to be passing anyone in that thing!

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #1995 on: July 30, 2014, 01:01:55 pm »

No cylinder deactivation - all 8 cylinders continue firing. That said, city fuel consumption isn't quite as good... I've regularly seen 17 L/100 km if I'm going about with a heavy foot. With more restraint I can keep it in the 13 L/100 km range, which is better than the NR Can rating.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: August 02, 2014, 09:02:26 am »
This weekend, starting Saturday, I tried to drive a lot more economically.  I focused on smoothness, anticipating traffic and lights ahead, and accelerating less aggressively than normal (I'm a fairly heavy footed driver most of the time).

Anyway, in a weekend of all city driving (~250 kms)_, the Altima 2.5s CVT did an average of 7.6L/100kms.  Most of it was with my wife and daughter as passengers and an empty trunk..  We did one trip (50kms) with a full car load of passengers and a trunkful of items.

When accelerating, I mostly watched the econometer on the dash, as well as the tachometer.  When starting off from a light, I would bring the RPM's up to 2000 momentarily, so as to not frustrate traffic behind me with too slow of a start.  After the initial start, I would let the RPM's drop down to 1500, and just let the CVT change ratios to accelerate the car.  The final bit of acceleration (from 40 up to 60 km/h) was usually done at 1250rpm, which also happened to be the speed the engine would turn while cruising. 

I"m quite happy with the results.  We weren't frustratingly slow, and succeeded at keeping up with the general flow of traffic, while reducing fuel expenditure from my previous average of 9.9 to 7.6!  Fantastic!

We truly appreciated our 08 Altima for the F/E.  Now that my Note is well broken in just shy of 30k I'm even more excited, I can drive that thing in the passing lane(xxx kmh) and get 45mpg, I was expecting a big penalty doing that, nope.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: August 02, 2014, 09:40:21 am »
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #1998 on: August 02, 2014, 06:15:27 pm »
Drove from Burlington to Tobermory on Friday in the Mazda5.  My friend was going diving, I was going cycling. Left at 8:30 am, cruise set to 100km/h in the 80km zones.  Got there at 12:15pm, with one short stop.  Averaged 8.5L/100km. AC was on fan speed 2, set to 20C inside, outside was around 22C.  On the way back lots of OPP on the roads, set cruise to 93km/h in the 80km zones.  Averaged 7L/100km.  Best tank I ever got, with the Mazda5. 

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #1999 on: August 05, 2014, 09:12:59 pm »
My 2009 RAV4 with the 2.5L engine: sitting at roughly 11.2L / 100km, measured using distance between fill ups and amount of fuel used to fill the tank. 95% city driving though. About 1.5L / 100km off of the current Energuide rating.

However, the revised rating is almost spot on; 11.1L / 100km. Right now I am looking for something easier on gas, while not compromising too much on the size, and drive-ability, so looking very closely at the Subaru XV Crosstrek and the new Legacy.