Author Topic: 06 Impreza  (Read 20920 times)

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
06 Impreza
« on: March 31, 2008, 11:45:11 pm »
Hello everyone. I recently (one week ago) purchased my first Subaru. It is a 06 Impreza. I'm including lots of photo's just because the car is new and photo's can say more than I feel like writing. I am located in (northern) British Columbia Canada and the AWD is one of the reasons that I went with Subaru over the competition.  My last car was a 89' Jetta which I had for 5 years so to say this is an upgrade is an understatement.   

Since I've only had the car a week, I'm still getting used to the feel of the car and it's characteristics.  I did a lot of research before purchasing this used car, so I feel confident and satisfied with my decision.  After one week, this car feels like a brand new car compared to my last vehicle so I'm trying to be objective in my critique -  my first impressions go something like this:

Pro's:
-plenty of power (for my needs).
-5spd transmission is very slick.
-suspension is plush, yet still gives back adequate road feel.
-gas mileage thus far isn't as bad as I thought it would be with AWD.
-overall structure feels SOLID.
-fit and finish is very good in the interior.
-seats are comfortable and driving position is great.
-hatch has proven to be very versatile even after one week.
-car came with lots of great standard features.

Con's:
*these aren't knocks against the car, just things that I've noticed thus far and am still getting used to.
-paint/exterior needs a thorough detail/polish/wax. (I've heard Subaru paint/finish isn't great unfortunately so I'll have to keep my eye on this - planning a complete detail including wash/clay/polish/wax soon). 
-this shade of blue might be the hardest color to keep clean.
-no lock on the glove box.
-interior carpet isn't the best quality (even my 89 Jetta carpet was higher grade).
-center storage console is too short/low/small.
-cup holders are a bit too far back for my liking.

I'm not expecting to do any mods to the car anytime soon, with the exception of perhaps ordering a fitted plastic/rubberized trunk/cargo mat and a couple of bike racks to attach to the factory Subaru crossbars. I'd like to perhaps get a tonneau cover, but it looks like it'll cost me $400.00 and maybe the tinted windows are good enough to keep prying eyes out of the hatch?

Anyone with any info on either of these accessories, your comments are appreciated.

Here are the photo's. Thanks for looking.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Re: 06 Impreza
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 11:57:22 pm »
Congrats! I am a huge fan of Imprezas...yours looks great in the navy blue color (Regal Blue Metallic?) and the tint.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 12:02:03 am »
Very nice indeed!  What type of fuel mileage are you getting?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

dorin

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 12:07:45 am »
Nice car!  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline Mr. Black

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 12:13:59 am »
Nice car!  ;D
Love that shade of blue.  :thumbup:

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 12:25:44 am »
Nice! It looks like a brand-new car. Instead of a tonneau cover, would just covering stuff be good enough? I cover anything valuable with a dark blanket in my extended cab pickup, and have had no problems.

Mitlov

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 01:04:55 am »
Nice looking car!  It's my favorite generation Impreza (as to looks).  The bug screen kind of screws up the nose IMO, though.

From my experience with a 2006 Legacy, Subaru paint is VERY thin, scratches easily, and then peels.  Periodically inspect the wheel arches so that, if stones are kicked up, you can nip any scratches in the bud.  A small scratch blossomed into a 4 cm by 1 cm gash in the paint of my Legacy because I didn't catch it soon enough.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 11:45:27 pm by Mitlov »

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 08:23:52 am »
Gorgeous colour!  I think that's the nicest looking generation of Impreza, too...  I love that grill.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 10:05:55 am »
Looks very nice in that colour with the tint.  :thumbup:

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 07:52:01 pm »
Nice looking car!  It's my favorite generation Legacy (as to looks).  The bug screen kind of screws up the nose IMO, though.

From my experience with a 2006 Legacy, Subaru paint is VERY thin, scratches easily, and then peels.  Periodically inspect the wheel arches so that, if stones are kicked up, you can nip any scratches in the bud.  A small scratch blossomed into a 4 cm by 1 cm gash in the paint of my Legacy because I didn't catch it soon enough.

Legacy ? You mean Impreza right. ;)
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 09:23:57 pm »
Congrats on the new ride.    Very nice.   

Don't mind Mitlov.  He's probably still missing his Legacy wagon.  :)

Offline Mr. Black

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 11:08:48 pm »
May I ask how much did you pay for the car?

Mitlov

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 11:43:42 pm »
Nice looking car!  It's my favorite generation Legacy (as to looks).  The bug screen kind of screws up the nose IMO, though.

Legacy ? You mean Impreza right. ;)

First paragraph I meant Impreza; second paragraph I meant Legacy.  My original post has been edited.

Mitlov

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 11:44:59 pm »

Wha?  If the original poster hadn't brought up the issue about thin paint on his Impreza (note that it's his #1 con), I never would have mentioned it at all.

robarakira

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 11:52:11 pm »
looks like an ideal car for you - good buy.   I'd get something similar if I lived up north.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 12:03:44 am »

Wha?  If the original poster hadn't brought up the issue about thin paint on his Impreza (note that it's his #1 con), I never would have mentioned it at all.

I think he was jokingly referring to your typo calling the Impreza a "Legacy"....

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 01:09:45 am »
Thanks for the replies/comments everyone.  So far the new car is treating me very well.  My 'con' list from above isn't necessarily a list of things I don't like, just things I've noticed since I've been driving the car a week now and I haven't necessarily gotten used to them.  The paint issue isn't a problem on my car, but I've noticed on other Subaru forums that paint issues aren't uncommon so I'll keep an eye on my car in the future.  As for the bug screen 'screwing up' the nose, I dont' even notice it and I'll take a hit in the styling department of the car if it saves me from a rash of rock chips which are all too common living in a northern Canadian climate. 

One thing I forgot to mention, is that the car came with seat covers, but the dealer took them off and said they don't advise me to put them back on b/c they will interfere with the side air bags should they activate.  What can I do if I want car seat covers to protect the front seats?  Also, the car came with what I thought was a tonneau cover, but it isn't one.  It looks like one, but it isn't.  I should post a picture to explain what this thing looks like.  It's a piece of plastic/vinyl with creases in it that allow the piece to be folded up like a windshield sun-blocker would be folded up.  What could this thing be? 

rrocket, so far I've roughly estimated I'm getting somewhere around 28-30 miles/gallon fuel mileage in regular city driving conditions.  I actually haven't been through a full tank of gas.  I'm generally very easy on the 'pedal' so that explains the higher than average mileage estimate. 

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 03:37:57 pm »
Thanks for the replies/comments everyone.  So far the new car is treating me very well.  My 'con' list from above isn't necessarily a list of things I don't like, just things I've noticed since I've been driving the car a week now and I haven't necessarily gotten used to them.  The paint issue isn't a problem on my car, but I've noticed on other Subaru forums that paint issues aren't uncommon so I'll keep an eye on my car in the future.  As for the bug screen 'screwing up' the nose, I dont' even notice it and I'll take a hit in the styling department of the car if it saves me from a rash of rock chips which are all too common living in a northern Canadian climate. 

One thing I forgot to mention, is that the car came with seat covers, but the dealer took them off and said they don't advise me to put them back on b/c they will interfere with the side air bags should they activate.  What can I do if I want car seat covers to protect the front seats?  Also, the car came with what I thought was a tonneau cover, but it isn't one.  It looks like one, but it isn't.  I should post a picture to explain what this thing looks like.  It's a piece of plastic/vinyl with creases in it that allow the piece to be folded up like a windshield sun-blocker would be folded up.  What could this thing be? 

rrocket, so far I've roughly estimated I'm getting somewhere around 28-30 miles/gallon fuel mileage in regular city driving conditions.  I actually haven't been through a full tank of gas.  I'm generally very easy on the 'pedal' so that explains the higher than average mileage estimate. 

28-30 MPG in the city, for an 2.5L AWD car?  :o

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 03:42:24 pm »
Nice car!  ;D
Love that shade of blue.  :thumbup:

:iagree: :bow:

dorin

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 03:51:43 pm »
28-30 MPG in the city, for an 2.5L AWD car?  :o

He probably means Imperial gallons.  Once you throw in the US vs Imperial question into the mix MPG becomes even less meaningful in a metric country.  I do wonder why people don't just use L/100km - it's unambiguous.  I also wonder how one can accurately estimate MPG given the both the odometer and the gasoline are reported in metric units.  ???