Author Topic: Winters and Marketplace  (Read 2027 times)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Winters and Marketplace
« on: January 31, 2008, 07:26:17 pm »
I caught part of the CBC Marketplace story on winter tires - interesting to see just how much of a difference in handling winter tires make.  And also interesting to see the bizarre and lame excuses given by the rental clerks on why you can't rent a car with winter tires (apparently, the main reason is that Ontario maintains their roads better than Quebec does).

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Winters and Marketplace
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 07:45:55 pm »
CBC has posted the entire show here for those that missed it here:http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2008/01/30/get_a_grip/

This show was recorded at "our" the MCO's slush 'n slide track where we put on Winter Driving Schools for the public and race like maniacs on ice.

Offline runwhatyabrung

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 09:01:56 pm »
... and race like maniacs on ice.

Well you have the maniac part well deserved after the snow bank surfing from 2 years ago  ;D  Looks like I might also be part of rice on ice this week-end, just waiting to hear from Luker

Leviathan

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 09:09:29 pm »
Interesting, thanks.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 02:02:36 pm »
I just watched the report online. It looks to me like Quebec has it right. Proper winter tires should be a safety requirement from Nov through April. I'd say they are at least as important as many of the other mandated safety requirements in today's cars. Perhaps more so as proper tires may not only save the car they are on but also the other people on the road that might get hit when that vehicle goes out of control.

It was chilling when the TC safety expert said something to the effect "next thing you know you're sideways in front of the transport truck" when talking about all seasons in slippery conditions
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.