Author Topic: CD Article: 2008 Saturn Vue XR AWD  (Read 9365 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2008 Saturn Vue XR AWD
« on: December 13, 2007, 10:17:36 pm »

2008 Saturn Vue XR AWD
2008 Saturn Vue XR AWDToday's Test Drive:
Despite putting on some weight, the all-new top-of-the-line Saturn Vue XR AWD equipped with a new 3.6-litre V6 engine and six-speed automatic transmission provides respectable performance and above-average comfort, says Editor-in-chief, Greg Wilson.

More:
Read the article | View the photos | All The Test Drives

mikcan

Re: CD Article: 2008 Saturn Vue XR AWD
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 04:40:41 am »
Why buy the Satrurn Vue at $31K+ when you can get a Suzuki XL7 which has the same 3.6L VVT GM based 252hp V6 engine for less.  Suzuki is offers $5K off the regular $33K price for AWD, which puts it at $28K.  A good deal not to mention its much more vehicle with 3 row seating.

swishguy

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 09:03:10 am »
I have driven both. the Saturn is a much better ride. The Suzuki had a lot of creaks & rattles(i tried 2 of em also) but the Saturn was tight & handled way better. Drive em both & see for yourself.

Offline jww

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Hyundai y'all doin?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '09 Santa Fe, '07 Accent
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 09:34:33 am »
The Antara  -the vehicle which the Vue is sold under by Vauxhall/Opel elsewhere is a very nice vehicle. GM is finally doing the right thing leveraging it's excellent Vauxhall/Opel line here on our side of the pond. I much prefer the new size and shape of the Vue as the previous model never really resonated with me.
JWW

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 10:20:05 am »
I rode in one shortly after they came out.  The interior was quite nice and it was pretty serene on the highway.

That said, this thing is way too heavy for me to consider it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 01:43:27 pm by tortoise »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Mitlov

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 11:20:33 am »
Why buy the Satrurn Vue at $31K+ when you can get a Suzuki XL7 which has the same 3.6L VVT GM based 252hp V6 engine for less.  Suzuki is offers $5K off the regular $33K price for AWD, which puts it at $28K.  A good deal not to mention its much more vehicle with 3 row seating.

From what I've read, the new Vue is uncompetitive when it comes to the numbers (cargo space, fuel economy, acceleration), but is class-leading, or close-to-it, when it comes to the stuff that can't be summed up in numbers (handling, ride quality, interior quality, and a general feeling of solidity).

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 11:21:25 am »
Didn't know it, but very glad to see the pricing drop. Saturn attempted to position it obsurdly upscale before, now bearable. It's a nice vehicle - well designed interior, cushy seats (rich feeling leather too), nice ride (leans a bit in XE guise), agreeable styling... but found the pedal placement too close to the seat to be comfy on long drives. Are power pedals available? Also find the 3.5L / 6-spd hunts too much on the highway, but haven't tried with the 3.6L. Seems just large enough for a small family or couple, but nevertheless am happy it's remained compact.

I'm interested in how the VW Tiguan stacks up against it  :D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 11:24:14 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Leviathan

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 01:19:35 pm »
Looks pretty spiffy. T'were I in the market now I'd be loping over to a Saturn dealership for sure.

Greg B.

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 05:32:51 pm »
Looks pretty lumpy to me, and it's way too heavy for the dimensions. Another new GM with too much avoirdupois.

I don't understand why this is built on one platform while the Equinox/Torrent whioch it supposedly competes with is on a different platform.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 07:40:54 pm »
Didn't know it, but very glad to see the pricing drop. Saturn attempted to position it obsurdly upscale before, now bearable. It's a nice vehicle - well designed interior, cushy seats (rich feeling leather too), nice ride (leans a bit in XE guise), agreeable styling... but found the pedal placement too close to the seat to be comfy on long drives. Are power pedals available? Also find the 3.5L / 6-spd hunts too much on the highway, but haven't tried with the 3.6L. Seems just large enough for a small family or couple, but nevertheless am happy it's remained compact.

I guess bearable is a fair assesment though I still have major issues with a loaded Vue XR AWD reaching $40K. According to GM Canada. the base price of the XR AWD is $33,920, not the $31585 listed in the article. Add delivery and the base XR AWD price is really $35120. Then start piling up options. Ouch! Local dealer here has several Vue with MSRP above $39K.

I think the availability of the 3.6L engine with 6-speed auto is great in this vehicle but I'm still trying to understand GM sales strategy of offering the same engine with a 5-speed auto in a $69K SRX  ::)

No power pedals or telescospic steering wheel available on the Vue, not even as an option.  :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I'd love to love the Vue but... too little utility, too slow for a such a small vehicle with a powerful V6 (too heavy or too lazy ponies?), no adjustable pedal or telescopic wheel from a manufacturer that was the first to offer both options on affordable vehicles, and too pricey. Too bad...

Mitlov

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 08:31:10 pm »
Looks pretty lumpy to me, and it's way too heavy for the dimensions. Another new GM with too much avoirdupois.

I don't understand why this is built on one platform while the Equinox/Torrent whioch it supposedly competes with is on a different platform.

The Torrent/Equinox are built off of the same platform as the old Vue--a cheaper, unrefined platform.  They deliver inexpensive basic transportation.  The new Vue (platform shares with the Opel Antara and a rumored upcoming Saab crossover) is more expensive but offers more refined and pleasant transportation.  It all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

hockeyguy08

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 10:44:12 am »

I have a FWD, 4 cyl 2003 Vue. I prefer to drive a standard and this is the only model with a standard.  Price was ok when I bought. It is just big enough for 5 people, 2 adults, 2 teens  and 1 younger child, under normal driving situations.
I had lots of problems in the early days and got some fixed under warranty but some were out of pocket and expensive.
I have had one problem that I think has been fixed by major change back to all metal doors . I have cracks in the rear doors at the hinges.  It appears to be stress fractures. 

I have been in one that has the Honda engine and it felt like a big improvement.

Doubt that I would ever buy one again. This is touted to be the most stringent controls in the production line and I found it to be mostly lip service....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 02:58:42 pm »

I have a FWD, 4 cyl 2003 Vue. I prefer to drive a standard and this is the only model with a standard.  Price was ok when I bought. It is just big enough for 5 people, 2 adults, 2 teens  and 1 younger child, under normal driving situations.
I had lots of problems in the early days and got some fixed under warranty but some were out of pocket and expensive.
I have had one problem that I think has been fixed by major change back to all metal doors . I have cracks in the rear doors at the hinges.  It appears to be stress fractures. 

I have been in one that has the Honda engine and it felt like a big improvement.

Doubt that I would ever buy one again. This is touted to be the most stringent controls in the production line and I found it to be mostly lip service....

The new Vue is completely different then the one you have. Not even built in the plant.
The new Vue is based on the Opel Antara