Author Topic: CD Article: 2008 Ford Taurus Limited AWD  (Read 5093 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2008 Ford Taurus Limited AWD
« on: July 30, 2007, 11:27:39 pm »
Today's Test Drive:
2008 Ford Taurus Limited AWD

2008 Ford Taurus Limited AWDLimited AWD: With its new 260-hp 3.5-litre V6 and six-speed automatic transmission, the new Taurus performs much better than the old Five-Hundred model, reports Contributing Editor, Chris Chase.  Overall, "the Taurus looks like a pretty good deal," he says.

More...

Read the article | View the photos | All The First Drives

Offline Wolverine

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Focus sedan 2008 1.6 Flexfuel
Re: CD Article: 2008 Ford Taurus Limited AWD
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 10:20:33 am »
O love large cars and this one would be among my choices if I were on the market for a car.

Think Ford did a very nice job on this 500.
"If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 10:45:39 am »
Really can't stand the guages and the fake wood Ford uses in this vehicle, and prefer the non-chromed version of those alloys, but the engine and other improvements are welcome.

Think they're good in base or base AWD format, but past $40,000 is too dear for me. But if you're after space in a sedan - nevermind an AWD sedan, not many good competitors out there.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

mdxtasy

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 10:48:46 am »
Really can't stand the guages and the fake wood Ford uses in this vehicle, and prefer the non-chromed version of those alloys, but the engine and other improvements are welcome.

Think they're good in base or base AWD format, but past $40,000 is too dear for me. But if you're after space in a sedan - nevermind an AWD sedan, not many good competitors out there.

:iagree:  Ford plood is the worst.  The chrome treatment on the entire car doesn't seem to be too gaudy...perhaps because the car is quite large and hides the bling well. 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 03:08:05 pm »
Not being able to lock out the overdrive on a 6 speed auto tranny is ridiculous.  This is a typical Ford product.  Half there, half not.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 03:22:08 pm »
While the chrome is overdone, it seems to be a very solid effort.  It breathes new life into the now venerable name of "Taurus".

I must say I've never understood the North American penchant for abandoning names with pedigree just because they seem old.  Look at the Europeans; their marques go back decades in some cases!

The biggest problems? (based on the article):
- typical mushy Ford seats
- price

The second item is probably necessary but it will take a while before people accept it.

One final note about the article.  It refers the car's " 'Ford 500' days".  That gives the impression that it was a long term thing, when in fact, the car seemed to spend all of about 500 seconds under that name.  :rofl2:
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 03:45:30 pm »
It seems like the main criticisms of the Five Hundred were bland styling and not enough power. Both issues have been addressed in a substantial way. This new Taurus definitely has a "presence" on the road. Something that could not be said of the Five Hundred.

Once again, like with the Fusion and Edge, initial criticisms consist mostly of nit-picks. The Taurus seems like another solid product from what appears to be the new Ford.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

UmroAyyar

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 03:52:36 pm »
I will agree with Cord about the transformation from Five Hundred to Taurus. Much much better. Ford's latest 6-speed transmission with their new 3.5L V6.

Avalon, Azera and the Taurus are low volume large cars priced close to entry-level mid-size luxury cars.