Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 MazdaSpeed3  (Read 34130 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2007 MazdaSpeed3
« on: January 23, 2007, 11:24:04 pm »
Test Drive:
2007 MazdaSpeed3

2007 MazdaSpeed3With the most horsepower and torque in its class, the turbocharged Mazdaspeed3 "is a bit of a bully", says Justin Pritchard.  "After just a quick period of turbo lag it sets off ripping the pavement to shreds," he reports. "However, the steering wheel tries violently to escape your grip should either front wheel encounter any anomaly on the road's surface."  As a performance car, the Mazdaspeed3 four-door hatchback "makes more sense if you regularly travel with more than one person or like to ski, mountain bike or surf."
   More...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: CD Article: 2007 MazdaSpeed3
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 06:26:48 am »
Wonderful car except for the two show stopping bullets:

·   the steering wheel tries violently to escape your grip should either front wheel encounter any anomaly on the road's surface. Any little pothole, puddle or bit of dirt is like a landmine to the unleashed Speed3, and torque-steer really is class-leading.

·   There is a trick limited slip differential up front, and the turbo output is limited in the first few gears to keep your rubber intact.

There is a logical reason why man invented RWD cars. Pushing a FWD car beyond 200-220 HP is not safe in the hands of the inexperienced. Having to retard the engine performance to counter torque steer and traction issues is just illogical IMHO. I am very surprised Mazda would not go the extra and provide the torque steering mechanism found in the MPS6.

If Mazda would have offered this car with a similar system found in the MPS6 the cost could have been $3k more and still be less than the WRX which is the only true competitor not mentioned in the article.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 07:08:49 am »
Justin Pritchard?… ???..Is this the guy up here in Sudbury who contributes to the Sudbury Star’s Wheels section?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 07:39:54 am »
Justin Pritchard is a freelance automotive journalist residing in Sudbury, Ontario who writes regular car review columns and feature articles for a variety of Canadian print and online publications.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 07:54:36 am »
Justin Pritchard is a freelance automotive journalist residing in Sudbury, Ontario who writes regular car review columns and feature articles for a variety of Canadian print and online publications.

He is the guy who followed me home one day while I had Rut Ro I. We had a nice chat about many things automotive and we were to hook up later but never did. I should look for his card and contact him. I always spot him driving “interesting” cars around. :)

mdxtasy

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 08:30:48 am »
Saw a Mspeed3 the other day in red....very subtle but you can spot it and know right away....that's not a normal 3.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 09:57:50 am »

·   the steering wheel tries violently to escape your grip should either front wheel encounter any anomaly on the road's surface. Any little pothole, puddle or bit of dirt is like a landmine to the unleashed Speed3, and torque-steer really is class-leading.

·   There is a trick limited slip differential up front, and the turbo output is limited in the first few gears to keep your rubber intact.

There is a logical reason why man invented RWD cars. Pushing a FWD car beyond 200-220 HP is not safe in the hands of the inexperienced. Having to retard the engine performance to counter torque steer and traction issues is just illogical IMHO. I am very surprised Mazda would not go the extra and provide the torque steering mechanism found in the MPS6.

If Mazda would have offered this car with a similar system found in the MPS6 the cost could have been $3k more and still be less than the WRX which is the only true competitor not mentioned in the article.

:iagree: 100% Snowy.  It's such a shame that Mazda didn't simply go the extra mile to incorporate the AWD system from the MS6.  Why not?  They've already got it there handy and they know it works well with the rest of the drivetrain.  Seems like a no brainer -- even if they DID have to pump up the price $2-3000.  Tsk tsk... so close, Mazda... but so far. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 11:09:20 am »

He is the guy who followed me home one day while I had Rut Ro I. We had a nice chat about many things automotive and we were to hook up later but never did. I should look for his card and contact him. I always spot him driving “interesting” cars around. :)

I saw his name and think of him as a contributor to Auto123.com  :P   In fact, this article was featured there (and I'm assuming elsewhere) as well. I would have thought he'd be based in Quebec. But Sudbury? :shake:
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 11:15:43 am »

I saw his name and think of him as a contributor to Auto123.com  :P   In fact, this article was featured there (and I'm assuming elsewhere) as well. I would have thought he'd be based in Quebec. But Sudbury? :shake:

If ya can’t “make it” in Quebec then the last chance hotel is Sudbury  :D

Jameel

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 11:24:17 am »

:iagree: 100% Snowy.  It's such a shame that Mazda didn't simply go the extra mile to incorporate the AWD system from the MS6.  Why not?  They've already got it there handy and they know it works well with the rest of the drivetrain.  Seems like a no brainer -- even if they DID have to pump up the price $2-3000.  Tsk tsk... so close, Mazda... but so far. 

If they offered AWD in the Speed3 it would eat away at sales of the Speed6.

Mitlov

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 11:31:03 am »

:iagree:

FWD makes sense for performance cars like a Civic Si or a Mini Cooper S, but the MS3 simply has too much engine for FWD.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 12:54:36 pm »
OR weak armed WIMPS??????........A ZOOM the deferential POSE???? :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 01:01:42 pm »

If they offered AWD in the Speed3 it would eat away at sales of the Speed6.

Some... perhaps.  But I'd bet not many more than it already is.  The target demo for the MS6 is likely older and has different needs and expectations of their car than those for the MS3.

While a WRX may cannibalize some sales from potential Legacy buyers, if either one of the models prevent people from buying a different model, it's helping the company.  With Mazda, some people may see the MS6 as too big and soft, but with the torque steer woes, won't even consider the MS3... thus, the WRX could be their next natural choice instead of either Mazda.  AWD in the MS3 might've helped avoid that missed opportunity. 

Normally I wouldn't put so much stock into a techno feature such as AWD having such a dramatic effect on sales.  However, given that AWD is such a trendy thing to have right now (think about how many makers are offering it on so many different models versus 10 years ago) and considering that it would have a real and genuine performance enhancement effect to the MS3, it just seems like a tremendous oversight when the resources were already so close at hand for Mazda.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 01:03:16 pm by Giant Dwarf »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 01:05:03 pm »
..AND     ......here I tho'T ad -VERT_IZZAHHS    were  short!! quick and too!! the POINT....30 seconds OR yer GONZO....Mucho Verbiage...cull the adjectivos,adverBIAGE and NOUN me inna MORNIN'''''  satchi & satcheeeeh.....
 :o

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 01:46:08 pm »
I believe the tight confines of the transverly-mounted engine bay would not allow for a transfer case and drive axle to the rear in the Mazda 3. Decades of FWD platforms and transversely mounted engines are constraining the move to RWD and AWD configurations on current models.

A huge investment is required which would take several years to see any payback. I wonder why the big Japanese players are not reacting to the changing market?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 01:53:20 pm »
But the Volvo V50 is available with AWD.  If volvo can make it work with an inline 5, why can't mazda with an inline 4?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 01:55:12 pm »
WOTS WIF DISS "5" crap......can the Swedes NOT count beyond ONE HAND  ....'cos the other is frozen to the ATM machine?????? ???

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 02:09:26 pm »
But the Volvo V50 is available with AWD.  If volvo can make it work with an inline 5, why can't mazda with an inline 4?

???

They can, and have, with the MazdaSpeed3.  The problem pointed out is that the confines of the 3's engine bay may not allow for the AWD system to fit.  The 6's engine bay was built to take a V6, and so there would be room for a turbo four and the AWD add-ons.  May not be the case in the 3's bay, which was designed to take only a NA four banger.  With that turbo four in there, I'll wager space is at a premium as it is...

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 02:11:46 pm »

???

They can, and have, with the MazdaSpeed3.  The problem pointed out is that the confines of the 3's engine bay may not allow for the AWD system to fit.  The 6's engine bay was built to take a V6, and so there would be room for a turbo four and the AWD add-ons.  May not be the case in the 3's bay, which was designed to take only a NA four banger.  With that turbo four in there, I'll wager space is at a premium as it is...

Right... but I think what Tortoise is saying is that the V50 (also based loosely on the same platform, no?) can manage a turbo 5 cyl AND AWD in roughly the same size pkg... so why can't Mazda cram the 4 banger and AWD?  I would guess that the 2.3 DISI is a bulky engine in comparison. 

Either way, I'm sure you're right -- if it were as easy as I suggested they would've done it, eh?

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2007, 02:12:10 pm »

:iagree:

FWD makes sense for performance cars like a Civic Si or a Mini Cooper S, but the MS3 simply has too much engine for FWD.

In a way I look at the MS3 as modern day Japenese car similar to what the 1989 Mustang GT Cobra was back then.   Relatively cheap, and way too much HP for the car...    The sh!t we used to do in a buddys GT.   Too bad it ended up like half of them out there, wrapped around a lamp post  :o
Internal combustion thrust I trust