Author Topic: 2007 Pontiac Wave 5 (hatchback)  (Read 87158 times)

Offline Knucklez

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-1
    • View Profile
Re: 2007 Pontiac Wave 5 (hatchback)
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2014, 08:42:21 pm »
hi Seaside,

i do not have filter in glove box either.  never noticed poor air quality or anything like that.  since i do not have airconditioning (said no to all options except automatic) i ride with the windows down; except in winter.

the "swish swish"".. eventually stopped on its own.. but i knew that was not a good since.  whatever it was, it broke., cause later it started making a groaning sound whenever i turned Left.  so.. i took it in to the shop. $550 later i got a new bearing and rides like new again.

wow, at 231,000 something finally broke and needed service that was not under warrenty.  pretty good!  i still get oil changes ever 5K and transmission flush and new tires every 90k  (when i get new tires it reminds me to do a transmission flush).  that's about all the maintenance i do.

this little car has been incredible.  i use it like a pick-up truck.  people at home depot just stare at me as i load in 12' wood beams for deck building.  red flag the wood and off i go, ripp'n down the highway! :popo:

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +266/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2014, 12:25:13 pm »
Wow, that is excellent use out of a vehicle that only cost you $14000.  Not bad, not bad at all.

I can't say the same about the GMDAT vehicle that we had, the 2004 Epica.  That thing was a piece of crap.  Transmission died at 170 000 kms, put a refurbished one in, and at 195 000 it was showing signs of dying again.  The motor burned oil like nobody's business, the rear driver side power window mechanism died, the driver side inner door handle cable broke (I had to roll down the window to open the door with the outside handle), rust was starting everywhere on the body of the car, hmm, what else?  Oh ya, the thing was a piece of crap.  Glad to see it gone, even if we did only get $500 for it.

Offline SeasideLass

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +6/-1
  • It's a good day when you laugh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2014, 01:13:33 pm »
hi Seaside,

i do not have filter in glove box either.  never noticed poor air quality or anything like that.  since i do not have airconditioning (said no to all options except automatic) i ride with the windows down; except in winter.

the "swish swish"".. eventually stopped on its own.. but i knew that was not a good since.  whatever it was, it broke., cause later it started making a groaning sound whenever i turned Left.  so.. i took it in to the shop. $550 later i got a new bearing and rides like new again.

wow, at 231,000 something finally broke and needed service that was not under warrenty.  pretty good!  i still get oil changes ever 5K and transmission flush and new tires every 90k  (when i get new tires it reminds me to do a transmission flush).  that's about all the maintenance i do.

this little car has been incredible.  i use it like a pick-up truck.  people at home depot just stare at me as i load in 12' wood beams for deck building.  red flag the wood and off i go, ripp'n down the highway! :popo:

H Knucklez, great to have an update, and read your tin can is still doing well. I would love to see your tearing down the highway all loaded up. Must be funny. Mine is also doing well. No complaints other than seeds, bits of leaf etc., blowing into cabin in spring and fall. Small stuff tho'. I don't have AC, or auto windows either. It stays cool enough with all 4 windows open. Keep it simple, stupid was my philosophy!

I've never had a transmission flush. Maybe I don't drive enough to warrant one, and it's never been suggested by the dealership. I'll be going for the yearly synthetic oil change soon.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 01:15:16 pm by SeasideLass »
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Suess

Offline Knucklez

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2014, 10:43:28 pm »
yearly oil change?  wow.. you do not drive much at all!

this thread would be remiss without a picture of my Blue Bullet
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 07:27:38 pm by Knucklez »

Offline SeasideLass

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2014, 12:06:24 am »
Nice Knucklez, and here's to another 100,00.  :cheers:

It's a shame these cars were laughed at and beaten-up by folks when they first were made.

I don't drive much, but need the car. I am glad I chose synthetic oil. Plus, where I live not big enough really to pile on the K's!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1249/-7194
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2014, 12:17:56 am »
We use Amsoil.  Recommended oil change interval is 1 year.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline SeasideLass

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2014, 12:26:24 pm »
We use Amsoil.  Recommended oil change interval is 1 year.

Not heard of that brand, but obviously synthetic. I would never go back to regular oil.

Offline Knucklez

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 01, 2014, 07:27:18 pm »
how many KM's before a reflil and what is the cost?  i never tried synthetic, but would consider it if on average its cheaper.  as for better for the car.. well, that may be but i use regular oil (now i use "high milage type) and my car's engine seemed to last just fine.

right now i am about $50/500km for oil changes.  what is the ratio for synthetic?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 09:19:00 pm by Knucklez »

Offline SeasideLass

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2014, 01:08:36 am »
how many KM's before a reflil and what is the cost?  i never tried synthetic, but would consider it if on average its cheaper.  as for better for the car.. well, that may be but i use regular oil (now i use "high milage type) and my car's engine seemed to last just fine.

right now i am about $50/5km for oil changes.  what is the ratio for synthetic?

Hmmm, you have lost me there Knucklez.  ::) There is a synthetic for high mileages but I use the regular one, once a year. I buy it when it is on sale, costs about 30.00 for 4 litres. I  take that to the dealership and they charge about 30.00 for the engine check and wot not, filter and oil fill. You guys are probably laughing at me - that's OK.....it is a good day when you laugh!

Offline Knucklez

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2014, 09:39:11 pm »
this one's for you seaside!

Offline SeasideLass

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2014, 01:26:13 pm »
this one's for you seaside!

Thanks Knucklez - great pic!

Offline Knucklez

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2014, 01:26:58 pm »
oh no.. check engine light came on,  but then it went off!  let it ride baby!

Offline SeasideLass

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2014, 02:28:37 pm »
oh no.. check engine light came on,  but then it went off!  let it ride baby!

Maybe gas cap not on tight enough?

Offline Knucklez

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2014, 07:33:02 pm »
nope, that not it.  i also checked all the fluid levels.  well, did what i could do.....

Offline Knucklez

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2015, 09:17:22 pm »
eventually i had it checked, at my wife's insistent urging, turns out its the sensor on the cam shaft.  dealer says nothing wrong with the cam must be the sensor.  he advised not to fix anything, just let it ride  :)

"let it ride" he said.  DONE!

238K kilometers and going strong.  well, i left the door open a bit over night and the light eventually killed the battery.  it was like -30C so was not happy (at myself) in the morning.  i brought out my battery charger and hit it for a few hours.  ::poof:: back to new! 

this car is bullet proof. 

Offline SeasideLass

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2015, 11:12:48 pm »
eventually i had it checked, at my wife's insistent urging, turns out its the sensor on the cam shaft.  dealer says nothing wrong with the cam must be the sensor.  he advised not to fix anything, just let it ride  :)

"let it ride" he said.  DONE!

238K kilometers and going strong.  well, i left the door open a bit over night and the light eventually killed the battery.  it was like -30C so was not happy (at myself) in the morning.  i brought out my battery charger and hit it for a few hours.  ::poof:: back to new! 

this car is bullet proof. 

Your Wave is beginning to remind me of the old Volkswagen Beetles that went forever it seems. My Wave only has about 21,000 & needs synthetic oil once a year, so that's what it gets. Still the original battery. So damp & wet here (sorry folks, I know the horrendous conditions you are still enduring), moss was beginning to grow above the rubber on the windows.....that's really my only complaint. How many sets of tires have you gone through? I got new ones last year......darn tire walls & sun.

So Knucklez, we seem to be doing quite well despite the gloomy outlook when the vehicle was released. I'm happy with it and the way it runs both in the city and highway. Nice tight turning circle too. Given the conditions you drive in and drive it hard......I think they are winners!  8) I wonder what happened to the tiny Spark - seems to have disappeared.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:21:44 pm by SeasideLass »

Offline Knucklez

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 07, 2015, 09:39:26 pm »
ya i agree, this model is a winner.  but not that much of a surprise, it's based on the very old south korea Dawoo.  sounds bad at first, but if you think at its basic core, that means this frame was made for 10+ years (re-badged as pontaiac wave, chevi aveo, suzuki swift).  so they have had ample time to work out all the bugs.  and that i think they did well.  also i said no to EVERY option (except automatic) which helps to reduce the # of things that can brake.

i went out and bought one of those engine light scanner OBD2 canner things.  $23, figured it was a fun thing to own.  i haven't even tried it yet, came in the mail a couple days ago.  i really have no need for it, i'm happy to let the engine light stay on (if it comes back on) but its kinda fun. 

sounds like your area is vastly different environmental conditions than mine.  moss growing?!!  YIKES.  but then it's probably +10C there right now so you can't really complain now can you ;)
hold on to your car, take care of it and it will take care of you.  tire changes for me are every 100,000 (tires are rated for 90K).  oil changes regularily and transmission flush every 90K (is what i did).  that''s it.   i'm still on original battery.  i was looking at it the other day and the battery is swelled; that is, it's not square anymore.  that to me means its done.. yet .. seems to start the car no problem even at its -37C worse this past month.  so i keep it. 

... having said all that... wife and i went new car shopping today.  checking out jeeps.  looks like they no longer hold to their jeep "look" anymore (except for the wrangler).  i was kinda disappointment to be honest.  we're in the market for an SUV, will keep shopping.

Offline SeasideLass

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2015, 12:36:31 am »
ya i agree, this model is a winner.  but not that much of a surprise, it's based on the very old south korea Dawoo.  sounds bad at first, but if you think at its basic core, that means this frame was made for 10+ years (re-badged as pontaiac wave, chevi aveo, suzuki swift).  so they have had ample time to work out all the bugs.  and that i think they did well.  also i said no to EVERY option (except automatic) which helps to reduce the # of things that can brake.
Many folk scoffed at my new car, and scoffed even more at the Korean Dawoo. (sp). Hadn't thought of the working out the bugs thing, but I've no reason to complain at all.  Had to laugh at saying no to every option, I did that as well, and every time I said no, the price went down. 

i went out and bought one of those engine light scanner OBD2 canner things.  $23, figured it was a fun thing to own.  i haven't even tried it yet, came in the mail a couple days ago.  i really have no need for it, i'm happy to let the engine light stay on (if it comes back on) but its kinda fun.
 I'm sure this isn't the case with you, but apparently a half a turn less than needed on the gas cap, can cause that, and it takes about 12 starts for it to show up.

sounds like your area is vastly different environmental conditions than mine.  moss growing?!!  YIKES.  but then it's probably +10C there right now so you can't really complain now can you ;)
hold on to your car, take care of it and it will take care of you.  tire changes for me are every 100,000 (tires are rated for 90K).  oil changes regularily and transmission flush every 90K (is what i did).  that''s it.   i'm still on original battery.  i was looking at it the other day and the battery is swelled; that is, it's not square anymore.  that to me means its done.. yet .. seems to start the car no problem even at its -37C worse this past month.  so i keep it. 
No, I can't complain about the moss.(in Victoria, BC)....better than many other things. Battery original + mine 2 years older than yours! I've never had a coolant flush, or a transmission flush. Sometimes I think these things should be done even tho' I'm nowhere near the required mileage for it. I'm pleased with the dealership. They have a good reputation and keep in regular contact with me, and seem happy with my synthetic oil once a year change, when they check everything out.  I think you need a new battery!  ;D I've just had notification that I need to take it in on a recall thing, something to do with the starter or key thing, solenoid (Isp) maybe.

... having said all that... wife and i went new car shopping today.  checking out jeeps.  looks like they no longer hold to their jeep "look" anymore (except for the wrangler).  i was kinda disappointment to be honest.  we're in the market for an SUV, will keep shopping.
You're not going to scrap your Wave.....heck, it's a helluva 'truck' for you! 

Offline Knucklez

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2015, 07:11:59 pm »
my wife cleaned the car (bless her) and now car is nice to drive again.  why we looking for new vehicle?  they so expensive and this one is free.

definintly get a transmission flush when you're suppose to, or 100,000kW whichever comes frist.  i think that matters.  costs ~$130 from jiffy lube (i don't recommend them, but that's where i got my last 2 done)

Offline SeasideLass

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2015, 01:36:49 pm »
Wish somebody would wash mine! I'll ask the dealership about the transmission flush....I've only got about 21000 on it, but it is still the age it is.

Why look for a new vehicle as you say, when your Wave seem to enjoy being battered about! ;D Sure hope you weather has improved by now!