Author Topic: Occupations, How do you make your $$$  (Read 41817 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Occupations, How do you make your $$$
« on: October 14, 2006, 08:49:49 am »
Tried a search, did not find anything
So how do you make your cash?

Self employed
I check air and water flow in building.
Air flow comes out the outlets in the ceiling, water flow is usually rads
Also called TAB, Test, adjust, balance
The mechanical engineer design a system with design air and water flows on dwg.
I try to set the flows to these values.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 11:47:12 am by airbalancer »

avtoller

Re: Occupations, How do you make your $$$
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 10:21:33 am »
Early retirement - pension.  ;D ;D :winner: :stick: ;D ;D

Added - brief CV:

Highway crew peon
Hospital janitor (2 years)
TA at SFU
University psychology instructor 28 years
Ran group home for disturbed adolescence 8 months
Drug & alcohol counsellor
Psych. consultant (occasional)
Therapist/counsellor (limited part-time)
Dog trainer (many free, but occasionally for pay)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 12:00:43 pm by AVToller »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 10:42:43 am »
Right now I'm a sponge!  My wife, a teacher, makes all the "big" money in our household.  I'm siphoning off a bunch for another degree, this time a B.Ed, and I'm going to teach junior high math.  Yup, 13 year olds.  Love 'em.  Really.

My checkered past includes... (not in chrono order)

Banking.  Yuck.  Was an assistant branch manager (sounds impressive, but low, low pay).  Unemployment was 12% so I was lucky to have a job!

Consulting.  Yuck, but the money was good.  We did the "rescue" of small cap public companies that were going to be delisted for (usually) not having an up-to-date comprehensive business plan.  I had the very impressive title of Managing Partner when we sold the firm, but that just meant that as well as my share of the consulting work, I had the grind of supervising the associate staff.

Adult Education.  Took a year break to "teach" business skills to budding entrepreneurs.  The ONLY fun job I've had in 20 years.  Pay was so low that I had to return to industry.

Industrial sales.  Yuck.  I sold copiers for Xerox!  Only a year, but the money was great, lots of paid travel (I did government) and the most boring days of my life.

Utility Biz.  Electrical de-reg brought me into the utility business.  Where's the yuck?  This was the worst.  Money was great, perks were amazing, but the daily grind of lying to everyone (degreg was known to be a failure, but a huge money maker for generation companies) including government, industry and citizen/consumer groups.

Stay-at-home Dad.  Bliss.

Student.  Love university.  B.Comm, M.A (Economics) M.Sc. (Finance) and soon to add B.Ed to my list of letters.  Originally went back to do my PhD, but switched to an after-degree B.Ed at the last minute.  Junior high, here I come!

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 11:14:55 am »
Self employed, specializing in two fields:

Environmental Management Systems and Forest Certification: Auditing, training, systems improvements, chain of custody.  This is why I travel as I do.

General Forestry Work: Right now it is salvage of mountain pine beetle infested stands around Merritt, BC.  Also work with loggers to review their harvesting systems.  Log inventory and other stuff as I am qualified for.  Some safety stuff as well.

EDIT:

Some more I guess:  Have a diploma in Forest Resource Technology from Malaspina College in Nanaimo, am a certified EMS auditor, have first year apprenticeship equivalent Industrial Mechanic (millwright).  Have worked in forestry almost continually since 1979 on both the BC coast and interior.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 11:28:50 am by Trainman »
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 11:16:44 am »
Early retirement  but unlike AVT no pension.  We did mucho saving and careful investing in previous 15 years and will be comfortable for the forseeable future.

before that:

40 years before the mast with computers...from PDP8s and such in the '60s to Windows 2003 with Vaxes and stuff in the middle... all of it real time online stuff. Tried successfully to stay out of management for the first 30 years and gave in near the end.

next life:   Relativistic starship pilot, may not pay much but the interest will sure build up  ;)
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

baumer00

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 11:21:41 am »
In-house lawyer for biggest bank in the world: really enjoy my job right now, practicing in corporate/commercial/securities

Previously: associate at evil gigantic law firm (commercial litigation, yuck)
Prior: nothing, student

Schooling: Honours Business Administration from UWO and LL.B from UWO.

mdxtasy

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 12:03:50 pm »
With a Lexmark colour printer.  ;)

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 12:26:46 pm »
HP Color Laserjet ... supports Internet Printing Protocol over 1xRTT&EVDO & Wi-Fi ...  ;D ;D

Currently in the IT and Wireless Communication Field ... kinda almost self employed ...

Previously worked in The Stock/Bonds/Brokerage Industry, Hi-Tech Bubble Dot NoCOMe Industry, Telecommunication Industry, current job related field is Energy Resources ...

Odd jobs in teen years with a straight back and straight legs included waiter, bartender, cook (Italian, Greek, Japanese, Chinese), gas attendant, mover (2little guys with hang overs), middle management, sales and marketing ... and support  :-\ , ... and some other crappy pay jobs ... Have insurance sales license (long story), ... owned and co-owned 3 restaurants ...  :fall: :fall: ... oh yeah, most proud ... cert papers from MICROSOFT  :banana: :rofl2: :rofl2:, Cisco, Sun, ... etc ... Been a friggin long zggerty  zagged road already ...  :)

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 02:16:20 pm »
I am a foreign service officer with Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada.  I currently work as a development policy officer in the Development Policy and Institutions Division.  My two main files are the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (www.ebrd.org) and the Asian Development Bank (www.adb.org).  My previous jobs at Foreign Affairs have included public affairs and communications for Europe, a posting to our consulate in Düsseldorf, the 2003 G-8 Summit, and the OECD file.

BA in German Studies from McGill and an MBA from Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 11:13:57 am by Scaerio »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 02:44:38 pm »
Computer Consultant for a university for the last zillion years.  At least that is what it feels like. :(   Over those zillion years, I have done networking, lab management, project management, documentation, training and now desktop support.  I used to do some freelancing but got tired of my time off being consumed by more of the same and less with my family.  I even raised my rates and still they sought me out!  ::)

Have a BSc (Physics) and B. Comp. Sci.  I'm thinking of either an MBA or a Masters in Economics but am not quite hungry enough for them yet.  Maybe next year.

Oh yes, behind-the-scenes supreme being, as noted elsewhere.  Pay is way lower than you might think.  :shuffle: ;D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 02:49:10 pm by random006 »
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 03:26:09 pm »
Agricultural research for ten years before going back to university for six. At a research job again while trying to finish up a Masters thesis on wintering cattle. Doing both isn't going well so I handed in my notice last week, will be full time writing as of Christmas.

Before that various short jobs; mostly construction jobs with some of farm laborer, oilfield maintenance, chainsaw operator, metal worker, dishwasher and cook.

Five years of overseas travel mixed into the above with some of the jobs in England, Israel, Australia and Ethiopia.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 03:30:40 pm »
Formal education includes B.Comm (Accounting) from UofAlberta; Chartered Accountant registered in AB and BC; and CIM (Cdn. Investment Management).

Past positions include: Supervisor with large CA firm, Controller and VP-Finance for growing Alberta-based development co, VP-Development and Regional Manager for same but in Texas; VP-Land Development in both BC and Colorado for another major property develop who is now defunct; RE Portfolio Mgr for major life co; VP and Equity Partner in Vancouver property co.; Investment Advisor for 2 different investment houses. Left investment business due to medical issues, mainly loss of hearing. Did some free-lancing back in time also.

Today, after trying retirement for all of about 3 months in 2003, accepted failure at retirement, and accepted a 2 day/week job using my Accounting skills for a large entertainment/gaming establishment, this has now grown into a full time position but with flexibility (ie. I don't ask for time off, I do the job and take time off). I plan to do this for the foreseeable future but it depends somewhat on when wife decides to stop teaching.

I avoid stressful situations, sitting in meeting where I cannot hear anyway, and punching a time clock. I have accepted less pay for these wins. I am happy with it at this stage in life, and it is a job now, not a career.

:)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 04:29:46 pm »
I walk around with a pointy stick and ask "Is it done yet? You told me last week at the project meeting that you would be done by Friday. Well, it's Friday. Where is it?!"
I hate Fridays.
Twenty-six years in Engineering. Twenty-three in Aerospace, and the rest in subway signaling systems.
Opened a new business last year tht I hope to retire into. I could tell ya the specifics, but then I'd have to kill ya.
Railton P.Eng, PMP, MPM, MCASI
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 08:49:07 pm by railton »
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 04:36:09 pm »
PMP? :pimp:...Nice HAT....is IT HARD........ ;D...

Maself speech writer fer Ignatieff    rte'd this WEEK.... :rofl2:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline jpd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-16
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 04:53:10 pm »
Ph.D in Biochemistry, many years of postdoctoral training.  Expert in my field (protein identification, cancer markers, etc)!
Just found triple JERKS in Canadian scientific research. One day, completely disgusted,  I bag the door so strongly that it never open again!

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 04:54:18 pm »
IT - system design and programming

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2006, 05:07:14 pm »
I walk around with a point stick and ask "Is it done yet? You told me last week at the project meeting that you would be done by Friday. Well, it's Friday. Where is it?!"
I hate Fridays.
Twenty-six years in Engineering. Twenty-three in Aerospace, and the rest in subway signaling systems.
Opened a new business last year tht I hope to retire into. I could tell ya the specifics, but then I'd have to kill ya.
Railton P.Eng, PMP, MPM, MCASI

Got 9 8 Lives ...  :)

:bounce: Tell  :bounce: Tell  :bounce: Tell  :bounce: Tell  :bounce: Tell  :bounce: Tell  :bounce: Tell  :bounce: Tell  :bounce: Tell  :bounce: Tell  :bounce: Tell  :bounce: Tell  :bounce: Tell  :bounce: Tell  :bounce: Tell  :bounce: Tell  :bounce: Tell  :bounce: Tell  :bounce: Tell  :bounce: Tell  :bounce: Tell  :bounce: Tell  :bounce: Tell  :bounce: Tell

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2006, 05:10:16 pm »
Can I have some of Id................I'll take the RUMP  ....smoked.... 8) ::) :P...MAX I'll pay is $7 per Kilo.....9 lives yer such a PUSSY_MAN....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2006, 06:24:16 pm »
There some very interest jobs out there :o

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2006, 08:18:57 pm »
There some very interest jobs out there :o

And then there is mine.  Would you like me to audit you next?   >:D >:D   :rofl2: