Author Topic: Matrix/Vibe Owners-Answer Some Questions?  (Read 13523 times)

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
Re: Matrix/Vibe Owners-Answer Some Questions?
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2006, 05:21:28 pm »
Given the options, I would likely choose the Vibe, too.

I like its styling better, it's going to end up significantly cheaper, it's got a 160 000km powertrain warranty (!), and it's mechanically the same.  Why does anyone buy the Matrix?  (That's actually something of a curious question for me, if anyone has any insight, besides brand perception).

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2006, 05:26:10 pm »
Has anyone considered that "everyones MOM/DAD" is prolly Not driving a Porsche/M/Murcielago and has only to get around town and maybe tootle about the SUN_BELT...Nice shoes AvT ;D......lose the BELT.........hell WHEN I'm OVR's AGE   :stick: ;) I hope I know when ta BLOW by the young Punks in my Haughty_Mobile..and if'n it's half as good as HIS "POSSE!!"....I'll die laughing..............WE here are NOT going to convince Mr & Mrs 'canada"...to buy Winters,Krown their cars ot even PARK straight wiffout scratchin' & dinging my ride...so LIGHTEN UP and BUY THESE.......they smoke down real KOOL like.... ;)
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2006, 05:58:34 pm »
My Father loves his 2003 Matrix XR - although his girlfriend hates the black colour scheme.

He's really impressed with the gas mileage. His girlfriend drove to Vermont in it once and they were worried that the gas gauge was broken because it showed so little gas used. (The gauge was fine.)

It also carries lots of stuff, including a 14' long rolled up carpet (with the front seat down) and, on another trip, two IKEA 'Billy' fully assembled bookshelves. To be honest, I can't remember if the truck was tied down, but the point is that the car was able to transport these items easily.

He's up to around 90,000 kms on it and the only thing I've heard him say, as far as maintenance is concerned, is that he had to get the brakes done. He really thinks the car is SOLID.

I've talked to my own mechanic about the Matrix and he has nothing but good things to say about it. My mechanic is nursing my Mazda 323 along on a shoestring budget, so I trust his appraisal.  :)

My father will be buying another Matrix in the next few months. He will be replacing his manual with an automatic, as he's getting up in years and finding manual transmissions less and less comfortable to use. He's not considering any other car, as he finds it so easy to get in and out of the Matrix and loves the reliability.

As a backseat passenger, I can make some comments: I don’t like the way the central tunnel (the drive shaft?) is so high, when a car like the Honda Fit can have such a low one. I think the rear windows are too small, too!  ::)

Meow

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2006, 06:20:33 pm »
If you were any kind of son you would care about your mother's safety enough to take her car one day, throw the snows in the trunk, get the tires changed and then find a place to put the summer tires for her.

It was just example my mother lives in the UK. Beside what if you lived on the west coast and you mother lived on the East.

Why does anyone buy the Matrix? 

Resale and lack of knowledge,  loyalty.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 06:23:18 pm by Mr. Meow »

Offline prufrock

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2006, 06:40:24 pm »
WOW! I left for owrk this morning and there were seven reponses in this thread. This is now 44!

I was so happy to be getting a lot of insight into the topic...until I read the posts.  :P

Hehe, well, sometimes it's fun just reading the arguing back and forth as well.  ;)

Thanks for those who responded on topic.

I believe that the Vibe is 0% for the 06 model year (which are likely much harder to find at this point), while the rates are nearly the same for the 07s.

I still need to do some research on autotrader to see if there is a noticable difference in resale values between the two brands.

Thanks again all!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2006, 08:20:11 pm »
ork....nanoo nanooner TIME?............ ::) :P

avtoller

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2006, 08:44:06 pm »
The Matrix outsells the Vibe about 3 to 1 here in Port Alberni. It MAY have to do with the respective dealers as I have heard a great deal of negative and no positive comments about the GM dealer, and only neutral to positive about the Toyota store.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2006, 08:59:11 pm »
Wot ya had ta be Neutered ta Buy a Yaris in P.A...wot happens in P.A leaves in a little BOX eh!!! :P :brkhrt:

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2006, 09:14:32 pm »
WOW! I left for owrk this morning

Come on Saf, he has a had a hard day at school and his mind is probably mush trying to read all those posts from today   :rofl2:

But wow, what an explosion of stuff!  Good luck weeding through them and getting the gems out  ;D
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline prufrock

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2006, 09:42:42 pm »
WOW! I left for owrk this morning

Come on Saf, he has a had a hard day at school and his mind is probably mush trying to read all those posts from today   :rofl2:

Nevermind that sometimes the left finger I type with gets confused with the right finger I type with.  ;)

Thanks for defending me though!  :-*

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2006, 11:30:16 pm »
Given the options, I would likely choose the Vibe, too.

I like its styling better, it's going to end up significantly cheaper, it's got a 160 000km powertrain warranty (!), and it's mechanically the same.  Why does anyone buy the Matrix?  (That's actually something of a curious question for me, if anyone has any insight, besides brand perception).

Even though I'm a Toyota fan, I actually prefer the Vibe styling better. And that warranty is pretty incredible, especially for a disguised Toyota....

I don't own one, but did test drive one before. (an 06 Matrix)

I found it somewhat underpowered, noisy and not as comfortable as the Corolla. However, it's got that hatch the Corolla doesn't have.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 11:31:58 pm by Julie »

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2006, 01:08:52 am »
The Matrix returns about 8L/100km.  Specifially, we got 8.5 in the winter, and 7.8 in the summer.  Consistently.

Overall, we really enjoyed ours.  As always, winter tires help in the snow and cold, and should not be ignored if you commute in a climate where snow fails to melt on contact.

Suggesting one's mother should go without winter tires because they are unmanageable?  That's the worst thing I've heard here since, well, one of Meow's previous posts.  The Fuzz is bang on - any half-decent son would not only lug four tires around, but change them as well.  I do, and I'm sure there are others here as well.  Takes me less than an hour during a family visit.  Hal, wake up.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2006, 07:30:06 am »
Uh....Matrix/Vibe....uh... :-[....I prefer the exterior styling (can't believe I'm saying this) of the Pontiac Vibe, but would rather have the interior of the Matrix.

They are identical.

I must have been blinded by my dislike of Pontiac interior styling when I checked out the Vibe.   8)

Hal

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2006, 12:06:08 pm »
Craig, I'm wide awake. I guess you weren't as you missed Meow's post saying that his mother lives in the UK. Like I said before, without knowing someone's circumstances, who are we to judge?

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2006, 02:20:04 pm »
The AWDs are discontinued for 2007MY.

I personally like the exterior of the Matrix more, but cannot get by the lack of std or optional safety equipment. For 'the deal', the warranty, and the ability to option a-la-carte, I'd be Vibe shopping.

As many readers would know, I'm more enamoured by the Mazda5 though. May not have quite the same mileage, but on all other counts (except maybe reliability, where I'd put a tad more faith in Vibetrix  ;D) I think is a terrific vehicle at a superb price.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline java_man

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 F-150 Quad Cab 4x4
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2006, 07:49:31 pm »
2006 XR owner here...

1. Yes it's underpowered, but is that only really noticeable at highways or does it bog down in city driving as well? It was hard to tell in the short 15 minute run that we did.

Mine's an automatic, it has sufficient power for my needs.  You won't be winning any races, but for a 1.8 litre econobox, it does just fine.

2. What's the real-world fuel economy like on them? Anyone actually keep track? Does it come close to listed?

I've been watching mine closely, I'm getting 500 kms per 40 litre tank; works out to 8l/100 km, or 35 mpg.  The car is still brand new, only 5000 kms on it, so it's still in the break-in stage. 

3. The rear seems to have a pretty high cargo floor. Is the space really practical or is it deceptive as to what the usable room is really like?

The cargo space was the big selling point for me.  There's way more space than the Impreza and Mazda 3's I tested.  I don't think there's a car this size with better carrying capacity.

4. The thing is basically a Corolla, so it should be fairly bulletproof. Any maintenance issues arise that surprised you?

No issues for me, the car is brand new.

5. Finally, if you could go back, would you buy it again? Especially as a second car? Any reasons why or why not?

After two months of ownership, my impressions are basically the same:  it's roomy, reliable, and practical.  If I was looking for something in this price range, I'd definitely buy one again.  My only criticism so far is road noise and ride - it seems to transmit the bumps and noise a bit more than is necessary.

This isn't a car for the driving enthusiast (try the Mazda 3 for the same price range), but for what I wanted, it was the best choice.

My $.02

hellyeah08

« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2006, 07:48:20 am »
07 matrix Xr
its very easy to drive, handle's pretty okie, fuel economy wise, I get like....10.5~11/KM  mixed of hwy and city
I hate the cup holder....size so akward!!
BUT!! suspension is too soft, considering its centre of gravity is higher than regular sedan
so when U attacking corners.....its horrible!!

I.....would get a civic instead.....