Author Topic: 1984 Nissan Micra, Anyone ever owned one?  (Read 13099 times)

windhys

1984 Nissan Micra, Anyone ever owned one?
« on: November 25, 2005, 09:22:03 pm »
Just made a deal with the buyer which is also the first owner of this only 75,000kms original car.

Body still looks good, there are couple rust on surface and one big but no hole and doesn't leak on the hatchback.

Very clean inside and outside, even in the engine bay.

The owner is an old lady, she only drove it to buy groceries, she didnt even drive it on the highway, the last time before she got a new car was maybe 15years ago ;). She bought a new car so she has no use for this car anymore.

NotCertified but I don't see a problem this car shouldn't pass it. Tested drove it and still got lots of power for a 21years old 1.2L carburator engine ;)

For CAD$650 I think is a good deal? What do you guys think?

Btw, the car looks so cute ;P I can't wait to drive it around in the summer.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 11:07:40 pm by windhys »

avtoller

Re: 1984 Nissan Micra, Anyone ever owned one?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 10:39:35 pm »
A friend of mine had one of approximately that vintage. It provided cheap and quite reliable transportation for her and her daughter for many years. For the price it sounds pretty good. Enjoy!  ;)

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1/-2
  • Will not fix tickets for donuts, carrots or b**bs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 07:37:06 am »
A friend of mine had one of approximately that vintage. It provided cheap and quite reliable transportation for her and her daughter for many years. For the price it sounds pretty good. Enjoy!  ;)

My sister had one that was from that era. The timing belt went and it bent the valves. It was too expensive to fix so it went to the great junkyard in the sky. But, for 650 bucks you can throw it away and buy something else.

I'm sure it will do the job for you.
Everyone hates us until they need us.

froggy

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 12:09:27 pm »
And you are pretty much sure that C_P will never have to pull you over for speeding....  :rofl2:

windhys

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 12:25:30 pm »
 ;D thanks for the replies, guys. Anyone else ever owned this car can share their experience? Thanks

mccombie_5

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 01:57:02 pm »
My sister had one for a while.......

a 1991, but tis the same car really.

It did the job..

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 12:31:25 am »
A buddy of mine has an 85 Micra.  He didn't buy it, and never would have bought one, but it gets him around.  For $600, it'll take you from a to b.

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 08:35:16 am »
My brother had one and was really hard on it.  He got rid  of it a few years ago.  15 years of use for a car he drove the snot out of is great.  He did have quite a bit of body work on it and for some reason, the hood pull kept snapping off inside the passenger compartment but as far as I know that's the only problems he had with it.

ektoronto

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 03:19:58 pm »
I had a 1986 Nissan Micra which I bought in 1988.  Only two problems in the four years I drove it.  The first was after a long highway drive from St. Mary's in the summer, the car would continue to "diesel" after I shut it off.  The second probelm was in the winter, the speedometer would make a loud whining noise until it warmed up.  Never got it fixed as this was an intermittent problem and the cost of changing the speedometer cable was too much to justify.

Other then that the car was largely indestructible.  I once went into get an oil change and the tech told me that the oil send switch had broken off and I was driving the car without any oil whatsoever.  Don't know how long I had been abusing the car.  The car ran fine after this surprise.  Bought it for $6,500 and sold it for $2,000 after 4 years of driving.  Great depreciation.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 07:35:01 am »
Take him from a to b allright BUT never b to j..........................won't cut it wif da ladies..... :popo:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2006, 07:48:31 am »
I had two friends with them.  One drove the crap out of it (automatic too), and had no issues.  We called it the purple micro-dot  ;)  My other friend had one and my last memories of it were throwing up in and out of it...

Reliabile litte cars if slow.   
Internal combustion thrust I trust

Gwendly

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 02:26:15 pm »
I learnt to drive on a '89 micra.

While not a supercar, it does what it's supposed to do. commute people :)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 03:58:36 pm »
Look at this way.  You just paid about one months lease payment on anew car, and got a WHOLE car.  If it only lasts three months you're many ahead of just about anything, and at six months you're in super-cheap driving territory.

If you can live with a 1984 car, go for it and enjoy.

barrie1

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 09:00:12 pm »
Even if you drove it down to the wreckers you would get around $100. for it as you were able to drive it in. Keep the oil clean and just keep driving it as it could last for years if you look after it.  :)

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 11:14:47 pm »
Clearly, the next step is to get some bling wheels and rubber for the new ride.  Accessorize with some fuzzy dice hanging from the rear-view and tiger print seat covers.  Then you be pimpin' in style, yo.

spid

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2006, 01:25:27 am »
Had an 89 a few years ago when I was in the poor house.

Paid about $500.

It ran for 6 months and then the tranny started to play up.
Still ran but kept leaking tranny fluid.
Could afford nice car by then so did th push pull trade.

It was an undeniable gem.
It lacked power, finesse and a lot of other things, but it started every time and had that incessant reliability that these little unsophisticated rice rockets had.

My problems started when I thought I would be nice to the car and flush the tranny.
My advice.. there is a point when this is no longer beneficial, like 100 year old people giving up smoking if you know what I mean.

Buy it, it will be reall fun and you will find out which of your mates are real stuck up.. ho ho

Makes me laugh, mine was gold.
And really loud when accellerating.