Author Topic: Acura TSX vs VW Jetta GLI review.  (Read 37500 times)

bassix

Re: Acura TSX vs VW Jetta GLI review.
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2005, 09:18:23 am »
Ah, I think we're getting somewhere. This is a great discussion.

To me premium as a concept has become very distorted. In theory, you pay more for something because it is of higher quality. Displaying high quality goods in turn gives you prestige because a) you can afford good quality things, and b) because you can identify something of good quality.

Nowadays, lots of people with poor judgment can afford nicer things. These people buy goods that look expensive but don't have quality to match the price (eg. Mercedes products.) That's not to say that style has no value, but to many these days brand value and luxury appointments mean more than build quality.
That is a very good comment/observation. I agree with you.

Tintin

« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2005, 10:20:54 am »
chalk one up for TSX!

i am in the process of looking for a new car, and i am REALLY likeing the TSX over the new jetta (this is comming from a 2000 GLX VR6 owner)
i cannot afford the high cost of maintanance, the re-designed body looks like a corrolla, the interior is nothing great, and there is no Navi option in Canada.
TSX has a very nice body, an incredible interiour, handles very well and has enough HP to enjoy it.

You see, i totalled my GLX in a car accident, and though i wasnt going fast AT ALL, i cannot understand why people care so much about HP. The roads (here in montreal atleast) has enough pot holes, traffic everywhere, accidents left n right, cannot make you drive 'fast'.

So my opinion is, just stick to a car that you are comfortable in.

bassix

« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2005, 10:31:11 am »
I cannot understand why people care so much about HP. The roads (here in montreal atleast) has enough pot holes, traffic everywhere, accidents left n right, cannot make you drive 'fast'.

So my opinion is, just stick to a car that you are comfortable in.
I agree with you too! I'd rather have a nimble car than a powerful one anyday! People pay for the Horse Power at the pump, and they're not even able to use it very much. But some people are made of money (or it grows on trees in their backyard) so this point is moot to them. :)
On an aside... going back to the main topic GLI vs TSX, what about the Subaru Legacy GT?? I think I'd take that over any other sport sedan in this price bracket.

mdxtasy

« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2005, 10:45:19 am »
Subaru Legacy GT is getting up there in price.  Now you're possibly looking at a TL or Maxima or some form of a 3 series.  The A3 is also a good entry level sporty 'lux' sedan.  The 30ish to 40K price bracket has a tonne of good cars to choose from.

bassix

« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2005, 10:53:11 am »
Subaru Legacy GT is getting up there in price.  Now you're possibly looking at a TL or Maxima or some form of a 3 series.  The A3 is also a good entry level sporty 'lux' sedan.  The 30ish to 40K price bracket has a tonne of good cars to choose from.
Yes I see your point, and I agree that you have a good choice of great sport sedans especially in the 35K-40K arena. And then even more in the 40K-50K! Audis, Volvos, BMWs, etc... :) Of course if you have $50K, you can use that as a deposit on an Aston Martin! LOL

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2005, 11:25:18 am »
Seriously, "premium" really cannot apply to anything less than an S-Class or 7-Series, or (for the AWD fans like me) an A8. (I'd say the Phaeton, but that would REALLY open a can of worms!)

I would say the Phaeton is the most premium of all those. It's the only one hand assembled in the most modern and innovative factory, and the one most exclusive with losest units sold. Too bad it has the VW logo on it.

There are A LOT of choices out there. I'd say for cars the $36G - 42G market in particular is where a buyer no longer considers non-premium makes as consideration when spending that much on a new car, and the luxury brands have done a good job of stuffing their now very competent entry models with popular features. In the SUV segment, that shift is made somewhere around $45 - 55Gs.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

bassix

« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2005, 11:34:24 am »
I'd say for cars the $36G - 42G market in particular is where a buyer no longer considers non-premium makes as consideration when spending that much on a new car, and the luxury brands have done a good job of stuffing their now very competent entry models with popular features. In the SUV segment, that shift is made somewhere around $45 - 55Gs.
Don't get me started... "SUV"? "Premium"?... First of all what is "Sport" in a "Sport Utility Vehicle"? Sometimes even "Utility" is a misnomer. Maybe even "Vehicle" is sometimes stretching it... a vehicle should be expected to respond to driver input normally without rolling over. LOL :) As well, how many Premium vehicles should really require a ladder for ingress/egress?

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2005, 12:08:18 pm »
I personally think that Acura and VW are at the same level... Acura is a medium step up from Honda, and VW is a medium step up from Honda. They're both on the same level IMO. Infiniti and Volvo are a small step above Acura, BMW a medium step above Infiniti/Volvo and on top of everything quite a bit higher than BMW are Mercedes and Lexus. That's just my opinion though...

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2005, 02:00:15 pm »
good point about hp vs. handling - i definitely appreciate handling before i do HP, although it's probably because my TSX is a much better handler than it is a dragster. One other trait i like in the TSX that you might appreciate, TinTin, as a fellow montrealer, where VW's are a dime-a-dozen, is that you don't see yourself coming and going all the time - these cars are rare compared to most of the competition. all that said, had it been in my budget i would have been very  keen on trying the legacy GT - on paper it seems like a fabulous ride for the money.

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2005, 04:13:25 am »
Bassix, the term premium doesn't define the type of the vehicule but it's class or level of "refinement".  If you're able to roll over SUVs with a "normal driver input" ... maybe your definition of normal is not legal.  :rofl:
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

bassix

« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2005, 11:31:30 am »
If you're able to roll over SUVs with a "normal driver input" ... maybe your definition of normal is not legal.
Actually I was just thinking of the times in my life when I've had to take evasive actions to avoid serious injury on the road. Every time survived without a scratch, but if I'd had to do that in a few SUVs on the market, would be a very different story.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 11:33:16 am by bassix »

mdxtasy

« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2005, 11:33:35 am »
If you're able to roll over SUVs with a "normal driver input" ... maybe your definition of normal is not legal.  :rofl:
Actually I was just thinking of the times in my life when I've had to take evasive actions to avoid serious injury on the road. Every time survived without a scratch, but if I'd had to to that in a few SUVs on the market, would be a very different story.

Funny how everybody still has the Suzuki Samuri mentality when it comes to SUV's.   :rofl:

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2005, 04:16:53 pm »
Excellant point, Mdx, opinons today based on 20 year old information.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2005, 07:29:25 am »
..WHATCHASAYIN'...?...?.....

Time is to stop everything happening at once

bassix

« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2005, 04:41:36 pm »
If you're able to roll over SUVs with a "normal driver input" ... maybe your definition of normal is not legal.  :rofl:
Actually I was just thinking of the times in my life when I've had to take evasive actions to avoid serious injury on the road. Every time survived without a scratch, but if I'd had to to that in a few SUVs on the market, would be a very different story.

Funny how everybody still has the Suzuki Samuri mentality when it comes to SUV's.   :rofl:
I was thinking of the Ford/Bridgestone rollovers of a few years back, as well. I also hate having to slow down on an on/offramp because of an SUV in front of me. As this is a topic about performance vehicles, I hope most people can relate to that! How many here would be in favour of a passing lane on onramps?? :)
I'm sure that there are current SUV that handle very well (Porsche, BMW, Acura?), but there are still two-story tall navigators and others that I would not expect to handle as well as these!
Higher centre of gravity + more mass = earlier rollover threshold. That's all I was commenting on originally.

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2005, 09:55:56 pm »
The Ford/Birdgestone rollovers were caused by a default in certain tire models for SUVs ... not because they were installed on SUVs.

You're suppose to share the road ... it's wasn't built for your personnal needs.  Passing lanes on onramps ... yeah sure ... GREAT idea!  :bang:

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2005, 10:23:27 pm »
The Ford/Birdgestone rollovers were caused by a default in certain tire models for SUVs ... not because they were installed on SUVs.

You're suppose to share the road ... it's wasn't built for your personnal needs.  Passing lanes on onramps ... yeah sure ... GREAT idea!  :bang:

That is part of it, also Ford had recommended incorrect tire pressures, and many of the failed tires were run underinflated in hot climates. Most new SUVs and CUVs can take corners ever bit a fast as most sedans (not talking sports cars or M3s here). My Highlander will corner as good as my wife's Solara. If you think you need a passing lane on the onramp, maybe you're in too much of a hurry anyway?    ;) ;)

mdxtasy

« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2005, 11:49:42 pm »
Too funny.   :rofl: 

Some people......

bassix

« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2005, 12:40:08 am »
If you think you need a passing lane on the onramp, maybe you're in too much of a hurry anyway?    ;) ;)
No, I just want to enjoy driving! I think this is what vehicles such as the TSX and GLI are designed for. :)
Somebody else back me up here!!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 12:44:39 am by bassix »

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2005, 12:44:17 am »
Onramps are pretty short in distance, what's the big deal if you have to slow up for 3 seconds? Good grief, man.  ???