The Garage > Technical Questions

Oil change schedule; ok with kms not the interval

(1/2) > >>

21Rouge:
I only see one maintenance schedule in my new car's (Pontiac Vibe) owner's manual. It states that oil and filter changes must occur every 8000 km (or every 3 months, which ever occurs first).

I dont have a problem with the mileage part (better than the standard mantra of 5000 km) but I think I resent the time interval part. For my other, now out of warranty vehicle, I drive about 1700 km a month and change out the synthetic oil and filter about every 5 months. I want to do something similar for the new car but of course want to be in good standing with the warranty. Is it worth changing only the filter after 3 mos and keeping the expensive syn in until the 8000 mark? Any comments?

(Message edited by boxgrover on May 14, 2005)

Smainville:
I will let our resident auto technician Barrie1 answer that one.

ArticSteve:
Are you sure it says every 3 months?  It is usually 8K or 6 months unless it is "heavy duty service" for oil and filter.  I would read it again.  I have never seen a service schedule that states different intervals for the filter and the oil.  They are always referred to as one operation.

21Rouge:
The manual for the 05 Vibe can be found here:

http://www.genvibe.com/images/misc/manuals/2005vibe.pdf

I think it says that the oil and filter are to be changed every 8000km or 3 months which ever comes first. I was hoping that it would have  stated longer time interval.

Barrie1:
I believe the time of 3 months is a suggested time as it is covered under the 8000 KLM statement. One or the other depending on the drivers milage. I really wouldn't worry about the 3 month statement. By changing the oil within the milage limits you are covered anyways.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version