The Garage > Technical Questions

What is my car worth?

(1/2) > >>

Tammy2323:
i have a 1996 VW jetta trek limited edition car. i was involved in an accident where the lady behind me rear ended me and totalled my car. i have looked up my cars value and since it is a limited edition can not find much info on it. it was in excellent shape fully A/C tilt /pl/cc/5 speed manual / new exhaust system@ 500.00$,new fuel pump@589.00$, new front brakes@ 150.00$, and newe front calliper @225.00$, also new paint job not even a year old. any info would be great  
thanx Tammy Saulnier

Sterling:
A vital piece of info would be how many km were on it.

Forget about what you paid for the fuel pump, brakes, etc. These items are necessary on any car for it to be worth anything. In other words, a car does not become more valuable because it has a working fuel pump.

The other thing to keep in mind is that after 9 years, the fact that the car was a Trek edition is pretty much meaningless as to the car's value compared to a regular Jetta. What exactly was the Trek edition anyway? Wasn't it a bike and a bike rack?

Slow_lane:
Are you asking what a totaled car is worth. If it is totaled my guess it is worth next to nothing. Are you asking because your trying to find out what to expect from insurance claim settlement (assuming you still had collision coverage are your car).

I sorry I am just not sure what your asking here.

neil:
I think Sterling is right, the "trek" was a sticker and a bike rack on a GLS IIRC.

Extra clean book is about $5k, retail value probably $7k

Wetson:
You need to consider objective and subjective value.  How much would it cost to replace everything on the vehicle and what is the perceived value to a potential buyer if the car was still intact.  The new parts that you have put on it are considered to be regular maintenance for the vehicle in order to make it function properly (with the exception of the paint job).  No use squabbling over the value with your insurance company cause they're going to win in the end.  You may want to keep the vehicle and sell the parts off.  (You may get more for it that way).  Depends.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version