The Garage > Technical Questions

Bio Diesel Questions

(1/4) > >>

maritime_storm:
Has anyone on here switched an older vehicle over to bio diesel? I'm wondering what issues you encountered doing so. I've heard that bio diesel is a better solvent than petro diesel and it could clog the fuel filter by switching over to bio. Thoughts?

tpl:
I would think that the biodiesel sold for road use is probably identical to fossil diesel in its turdidity,viscosity,"pour point" and of course cetane rating.   I thought that most of it was an 80/20 blend of fossil and bio anyway, no?

That guy who lives in PQ and drives to TO collecting waste cooking oil along the way has a) an old VW diesel and b) ( from the TV stuff about him) a whole trunk full of filtering equipment.

maritime_storm:
Here in Moncton they sell four grades B5, B20, B50 & B100. Apparently VW has problems with people switching to it with older vehicles, seized injector pumps, etc. I was curious if anyone on here had encountered this.

Roadrunner:
turditity?

tpl:
ok ok  turbidity.
Turbidity is a cloudiness or haziness of a fluid caused by individual particles that are too small to be seen without magnification, thus being much like smoke in air. Liquids can contain suspended solid matter consisting of particles of many different sizes.

turditity could certainly be turbidity in your drain

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version