March 18, 2005
Vintage V-8 club plans museum
Auburn, Indiana – The Early Ford V-8 Foundation has purchased land near Auburn, Indiana to build a museum for early Ford and Mercury models.
The Foundation and its associated clubs are dedicated to flathead V8 engines, used by Ford from 1932 to 1953, and Mercury from 1939 to 1953. The land was sold by classic car auctioneer Dean Kruse, who opened a World War II Victory Museum nearby two years ago. The site is also close to the famous Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg museum in Auburn.
Among the exhibits expected in the upcoming museum will be a 1942 Mercury “Liquamatic” automatic transmission. The transmission was withdrawn with the onset of the United States’ entry into World War II and was never revived. The club’s transmission may be the only one still in existence.