April 27, 2004
Toyota reveals 170 horsepower 2005 Corolla XRS
Toronto, Ontario – Toyota is introducing a new Corolla XRS model equipped with a version of the 1.8-litre, 4-cylinder DOHC engine and six-speed manual transmission shared by the Celica GT-S and Matrix XRS. The engine develops 170 horsepower and 127 lb/ft of torque. The engine features Toyota’s intelligent Variable Valve Timing with Lift (VVTL-i). Only one transmission is available – a 6-speed manual. The Corolla XRS also features:
- 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS and EBD
- 16 inch aluminum alloy wheels
- tire pressure monitoring system
- power moonroof with sunshade
- power doorlocks with keyless entry; power windows with driver-side
- cruise control
- air conditioning with clean air filter
- Optitron gauges
- leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
- silver interior accents
- unique, fabric sport seats
- illuminated entry
- side skirts, rear spoiler with LED and coloured front grille
- front strut tower bar
The MSRP for the 2005 Corolla XRS is $24,185.
In other Corolla news, Toyota Canada announced pricing and upgraded content for its other 2005 Corolla sedans.
The volume-selling Corolla CE, like every 2005 Corolla, is updated with a remodelled grille, a more aggressive front bumper and lower valance combination, distinctive new tail lights and wheel covers. New seat material, and a vertical adjustment for the driver’s seat add comfort and visibility.
Every 2005 Corolla receives additions to the standard equipment that include front passenger airbags with status indicator, an engine immobilizer for added security, UV glass protection, and a rear centre seat headrest. With this added equipment, a base 2005 Corolla CE with manual transmission carries a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $15,490
– eighty dollars more than the model it replaces.
In addition to the Corolla CE are the Corolla Sport, with an MSRP starting at $19,955, and the well-equipped Corolla LE, which starts at $21,600.