May 28, 2002
Sport compact/lowrider show to be held June 1st in Detroit
Detroit, Michigan – Street Dreams 2, the largest indoor sport compact and lowrider event in the Detroit/Windsor area, will take place Saturday, June 1st from Noon to Midnight at Cobo Center in Detroit.
Organizers say the 400,000 square-foot show will feature a 67-category competition where more than 170 trophies and $25,000 in cash and prizes will be awarded.
“Over the last five years the sport compact car scene has evolved from a specialized market into a cultural phenomenon,” said Rico Espinos, entertainment director of Sincity Productions, the show’s organizer. “The ‘Import Culture’ has crossed over into all aspects of urban culture — from music to fashion to film. By combining these aspects into one event, Street Dreams 2 represents the evolution of the auto show.”
Besides the 500 anticipated vehicle registrants and 70 vendors displaying the latest in automotive products, activities are scheduled throughout the day. The action-packed 12-hour event includes:
- Miss Street Dreams Model Search – 10 pre-selected models that have appeared in magazines such as Playboy, Maxim and Stuff will compete for the title. Judging based on appearance in club clothing, swimwear, facial beauty, stage presence and crowd applause.
- Fashion Show – A collection of the latest fashion trends geared toward the sport compact car scene genre.
- Breaking Crews – Poppin’, hang glidin’, floor rockin’, windmillin’, head spinnin’ breakers take stage and defy the flow of gravity.
- Lyrical Competition – Two turntables and a mic. Crowd determines the last man still standing.
- Performances – Talent showcase of virtually unknown performers we believe have the mass appeal it takes to break into the music industry.
- Autograph Signing – Top industry models in the import scene including Sharon Sotto, Angelyne Belle, Kristi Curiali, Jasmine Fox Li, Natasha Yi, Diane Sang and Mia Guzman.
Admission to the show is U.S.$15. Kids 10 and under get in free. For more details including a complete list of competition classes, see