April 8, 2004
Seven Canadian suppliers honoured by General Motors
Oshawa, Ontario – Seven Canadian companies were honoured at General Motors 2003 Supplier of the Year awards. General Motors awarded a total of 77 global companies from around the world with the prestigious Supplier of the Year award at a gala celebration held in the Hilton Prague Hotel’s Congress Hall, including the seven Canadian companies.
Suppliers are an essential part of GM’s global product and performance, and each of the winners was recognized for its exceptional contributions to the company in 2003.
2003 Canadian Supplier of the Year Winners:
- ABC Group: A supplier of fuel systems, ABC GROUP produces a unique multi-layer blow molded fuel management system that provides improved durable construction, greater space utilization and corrosion resistance.
- Automotive Components Division of Windsor Mold Group: A supplier of functional black plastic parts and is a 10 time Supplier of the Year winner. Through an innovative redesign, the company reduced the cost of a front-end panel assembly by 33 percent.
- Decoma International: A supplier of fascias and past winner of many Supplier of the Year awards, Decoma kept GM’s production going when unscheduled downtime was experienced at another supplier. Decoma was instrumental in working with GM on a new TPO resin, which will drive down the cost of fascias in the industry. Also, they achieved double their material cost reduction target in 2003.
- Martinrea: A supplier of brake and fuel lines. Its minflex tube forming equipment allows for improved response time, reduces the need for additional tooling and supports multiple programs with multiple parts.
- Multimatic: A supplier of hinges. With Multimatic’s design input, the door hinge cost was reduced by 54 percent and reduced mass by more than 3.6 kg (8 lbs.).
- Toral Cast, a division of Magna: A supplier of aluminum castings continued to be a technology leader for this commodity in 2003. Through world class error proofing and leak testing, Toral Cast was able to meet all stretch targets in quality performance. In addition to the outstanding quality performance they achieved, they exceeded the aluminum casting’s team targets for material cost reduction.
- Van Rob Stampings Inc.: A key stamping supplier and an 8 time Supplier of the Year winner. In 2003, Van Rob had zero downtimes, zero spills, no launch issues, a corporate average PPM of 6. On top of that, Van Rob exceeded the Stamping Team material reduction target by aggressively pursuing all commercial and technical ideas, large and small.
Each year a global team of purchasing, engineering, manufacturing and logistics executives determines the winners. Its decisions are based on supplier performance in the areas of quality, service, technology and price.
Headquartered in Oshawa Ontario, General Motors of Canada employs 22,000 people nationwide. GM of Canada manufactures a variety of vehicles, engines, transmissions and other components, and markets the full range of General Motors’ vehicles and related services through over 795 dealerships and retailers across Canada.