Washington, D.C. – Summer travellers are reminded that they need to have documents when crossing the Canada-U.S. border by land or sea.

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection reminds travellers that Canadian and U.S. citizens age 16 and older must present a valid, acceptable travel document that denotes both identity and citizenship when entering the U.S. by land or sea. Those under 16 may present a birth certificate or alternative proof of citizenship. Acceptable documents include passports, Trusted Traveler Cards such as NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST/EXPRES, a U.S. passport card, or an enhanced driver’s licence if available.

The Canada Border Services Agency said that Canadian entry requirements have not changed as a result of the U.S. travel initiatives, and that Canadians returning home, including children, are encouraged to carry proper identification to assist in confirming their legal right to enter Canada. U.S. citizens do not need a passport to enter Canada, but should carry proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate, as well as photo identification. Visitors to Canada should be aware of the requirements to import firearms, as many weapons are considered prohibited and not allowed across the border into Canada.

Wait times for border crossings can be accessed at the CBSA Web site and on Twitter.

Connect with Autos.ca