June 29, 2006
Pirelli offers tips on SUV tire safety
Montreal, Quebec – Pirelli, manufacturer of the Scorpion ATR tire designed and built specifically for light trucks and SUVs, offers tips for summer SUV driving.
- Don’t overload your SUV for summer cottage trips; be sure the weight you are carrying complies with the car manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Check tire pressures at least every two weeks, when the tires are cold. If you are carrying extra loads, make sure to adjust the pressure accordingly.
- Never “bleed” or reduce air pressure when tires are hot from driving. It is normal for pressure to increase above the recommended cold pressure under these circumstances.
- In case of an impact or perforation, have the tire inspected by a professional technician. The tire should be demounted and inspected inside and out.
- Tires should be rotated every 10,000 to 15,000 km, or 5,000 to 8,000 km for high-performance tires or 4×4 vehicles. The rotation pattern indicated by the vehicle manufacturer should be followed. Wheel alignment and tire balance should be verified every 15,000 km.