Toronto, Ontario – As Ontario enters the back-to-school session, the provincial government is reminding drivers to be extra careful around school buses. Ontario law requires drivers to stop when approaching a stopped school bus with its upper red lights flashing. Violators face fines of up to $2,000 and six demerit points.
The government also has tips for parents, caregivers and teachers to share with children:
– Use 10 giant steps as a guide to take you away from the front of the bus.
– Be sure you can see the driver, and that the driver sees you.
– Watch for the driver’s signal that it is safe to cross the street.
– Listen and look both ways to be sure it is safe before you cross the street.
– If you drop anything in front of the bus, leave it, and never stop to pick it up.
– Walk across the street and never run.