March 24, 2005
New York auto show
2006 Lexus IS 350 displayed
New York, New York – Lexus unveiled the all-new 2006 IS 350 luxury sport sedan. With its striking design, exceptional power and performance, and all-wheel drive (AWD) availability, Lexus expects the all-new 2006 IS sport sedans to capture the hearts and minds of a new generation of enthusiastic drivers.
To command attention in the extremely competitive entry luxury segment, the new IS offers an expanded model range and outstanding performance and safety features:
- Choice of three models: IS 250 rear-wheel drive (RWD), IS 250 AWD, and IS 350 RWD.
- Choice of new six-speed manual transmission (IS 250 RWD) or new six-speed automatic (IS 250 AWD and IS 350 RWD) with driver-controllable sequential shift mode.
- For the IS 250, an all-new, dual VVT-i 2.5-litre V6 engine, delivering more than 200 horsepower.
- For the top-line IS 350, a newly designed, dual VVT-i 3.5 litre V6 engine, with more than 300 horsepower, resulting in 0-60 mi/h acceleration in less than six seconds.
- Advanced Lexus Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) on all models, plus Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) system on the IS 350.
- All-new front and rear suspension, steering and brake systems.
“The new Lexus IS is designed to be much more than a great looking car,” said Stuart Payne, Director responsible for Lexus in Canada. “The contemporary and dynamic design is intended to make the new IS one of the best-handling sport sedans in its segment, by delivering a spirited yet sophisticated and well-balanced driving experience for youthful car enthusiasts.”
Outside, the IS has a sporty, streamlined styling, with sweeping lines and details that reference the recent Lexus LF series of concept vehicles. A wide stance and long wheelbase, together with tightly-drawn bodywork, lends a muscular and dynamic style.
Comfort and luxury features expected to be available on the new 2006 Lexus IS include Smart Access keyless entry with push-button start, adaptive front lighting, navigation system with back-up camera and ventilated front seats.
An important contributor to performance, fuel efficiency and stability lies in the new IS’ aerodynamic package. Low exterior drag is enhanced with careful attention to underbody airflow management designed to minimize and balance front/rear lift. The low drag body makes best use of engine power, and the low lift enhances high-speed stability and handling balance.
The new 2006 Lexus IS sport sedans will be available in Canada this Fall, and pricing will be announced closer to the on-sale date.