July 2, 2002
New BMW Z4 to debut at Paris Motor Show
Spartanburg, SC — The new BMW Z4 roadster will be presented for the first time at the Paris Motor Show in late September.
To be manufactured at the BMW plant in South Carolina, the new Z4 roadster features:
- Luggage compartment (9.1 cu ft), large enough for two golf bags
- Z-shaped soft roof fold with rear heated glass window
- Two high-torque, six-cylinder engines (manual and automatic)
- Dynamic Drive Control (DDC), which guarantees power and acceleration
- Wide track, extremely low center of gravity with electric power steering
- Dynamic Stability Control (DSC II), which guarantees driving safety
The Z4 replaces the Z3 Roadster which ceased production last week. The first Z3 rolled off the line on September 20, 1995 and during its seven-year model life, 297,087 were built and distributed to more than 130 countries. The Z3 was also built exclusively at the South Carolina facility.
The Z4 roadster will be available in the United States and Canada beginning in October and in Europe, the spring 2003. Pricing has not yet been announced.